Talk

Advanced search

nursery peg etiquette

(28 Posts)
leelo Wed 19-Dec-12 20:46:51

my ds age 4 goes to nursery 5 mornings a week. each child has their own named peg with drawstring bag for extra clothing in their group colour. for the past month someone has put my son's bag in other peg locations and put the same child's bag on my son's peg. at first i thought mistake people bump and things go missing. but every time i put the right bag on the right named peg it goes missing again next day. not a huge problem but i sometimes need to change my ds into slippers or put dry socks on if he has jumped in puddles and i can spend 10mins looking for his things while he misses out on time with his friends. aibu to ask what would you do?

toofattorun Wed 19-Dec-12 20:48:44

Yes.

AmazingBouncingBabyJesus Wed 19-Dec-12 20:49:48

Are you sure it's not your DS moving the bag and then not remembering which one is his peg.

PeazlyPops Wed 19-Dec-12 20:51:04

What have the staff said about it?

mysteryfairy Wed 19-Dec-12 20:53:15

Do the pegs have full name or first name only. If latter and your son is called something like Oliver or Jack perhaps another mum is fuming at you too!?

Softlysoftly Wed 19-Dec-12 20:53:44

Could it be two kids with the same name and another mother somewhere is wondering why the hell you keep moving her DSs stuff?

Softlysoftly Wed 19-Dec-12 20:54:00

Xpost!

GinSoakedMu1berryLush Wed 19-Dec-12 20:55:28

ha ha!

i wish we could swap worries.

leelo Wed 19-Dec-12 20:57:45

thank you for replies. nursery staff don't bother with cloak room stuff as they are busy elsewhere. children have no similar name issue. other child is female and mine is male. my child has had this peg for over a year and this child only started recently. the other child attends only in the afternoon sessions so i won't be able to speak to the parent.

MrsMangoGingerbreadhouse Wed 19-Dec-12 21:02:45

Take a thick elastic band in with you and wind it round the drawstring bit and over the peg several times. That way whoever it is will have a bit of a mission to get the bag off the peg. Probably won't help at all, and is very childish, but it will probably make you smile while your at work, thinking of the peg thief other mum trying to prise your DS's bag off the peg. grin

leelo Wed 19-Dec-12 21:08:58

i know it seems very trivial and i do have other scary worries in my life but this is something that keeps happening and it makes no sense. each child has a peg. use your peg and leave my child's stuff on his.

mellowcat Wed 19-Dec-12 21:09:25

Does the other child have their own peg. Could the child have the same name as yours even though female ie Morgan, Sam etc. I wouldn't sweat it, where we are we have 10 pegs for 40 children...now that gets interesting!

Fakebook Wed 19-Dec-12 21:13:23

Child has same name? Throw the bag across the floor, that should give them a hint.

RedTinsel Wed 19-Dec-12 21:14:10

YABU
I can see how it's one of those things that niggles but it's no big deal in the grand scheme. If you approach the staff or the parents you'll look like a loon.

coldcupoftea Wed 19-Dec-12 21:16:21

In DD's old nursery morning children used to 'share' pegs with afternoon children. Maybe they have been told they can use your DS's peg in the afternoons?

TheJiminyConjecture Wed 19-Dec-12 21:16:58

If your child is there in the morning and the other child is there in the afternoon, could they be sharing a peg? They did this at DD's old nursery

leelo Wed 19-Dec-12 21:19:36

names are totally different. i don't want to involve the teachers over something small but looks like i'll have to.

leelo Wed 19-Dec-12 21:22:26

each child has own peg. grouped together in colours for ease of their teacher. all blues in one bit, yellows in another. the pegs are 5/6 away from each other.

coldcupoftea Wed 19-Dec-12 21:42:32

So, does the other child have a peg? If so, put the bag on that peg and superglue DS's bag to his peg

If not, that's probably why.

Sirzy Wed 19-Dec-12 21:46:32

If the pegs are 5-6 away from each other why does it take you 10 mins to find his bag?

I would ignore it and just keep putting his bag back when you notice it has been moved

minibmw2010 Wed 19-Dec-12 22:03:26

Pegs in our nursery are labelled with names and pictures of each child. Problem sorted.

upstart68 Wed 19-Dec-12 23:28:57

Ours used to run out of pegs so they had to share. Are you sure it's not something like that? Doesn't explain why they moved your ds's things though.

Sokmonsta Thu 20-Dec-12 16:41:55

Is the girl in the same colour group? If she is, just swap their name labels round. Clearly the other parent/girl wants that specific peg. so as long as your Ds has a peg is there still a problem?

If it really annoys you and you're going to go all playground tactics, I suggest taking the bag home 'to wash Ds' clothes'.

Ds' preschool is small so no peg sharing issues. But the children all have a different picture next to their name to help identify it. Other tactics I've seen used are photos of the children with their name underneath.

Cardsharp999 Thu 20-Dec-12 16:48:06

YANBU. Leave a note written on wood and superglue it onto the peg

SayMama Thu 20-Dec-12 18:00:37

I'd just chuck the other kids bag on the floor grin < petty >

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: