Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Don't know about unreasonable but according to DH I am no fun

(17 Posts)
SenoritaViva Wed 19-Dec-12 19:46:33

Disclaimer: I am not very well and was up half the night with sick kids.

I came downstairs to DD (age 5) telling me we could open the really big Christmas present today. I said no. DH told me I was no fun, in front of DD, which made me sad and her think I'm evil!

To be fair it is dh and my present to each other for the family (a wii). He now says it was for 'Christmas time' (but wrapped it and put it under the tree). I just feel it is part of that immediate 'must have now' culture.

Was I just mean and grumpy? (Dh says I'm inflexible and he is as 'distraught' as I am - I never said I was distraught!)

blackeyedsusan Wed 19-Dec-12 19:48:47

you are only no fun because he did not get his own ay. the sort of thing children say to their parents... sounds very childish to me, especially when you are poorly.

HazelnutinCaramel Wed 19-Dec-12 19:49:33

Erm, you're 'no fun' because you won't let them open a Christmas present early? Your DH is behaving like the children, at least they have an excuse.

However, Christmas presents should really be stashed away somewhere until the day, not left out to torture a 5 year old!

YouCanBe Wed 19-Dec-12 19:54:32

It isn't even Christmas Eve! Much too early to be opening presents.

SenoritaViva Wed 19-Dec-12 19:54:38

I can see that hazelnut, turns out though that it's not the 1 and 5 year old I had to worry about! (Dd loved seeing the presents out and up until thus point hadn't considered early opening).

Glad to see that at least a few people don't think I'm an utter witch!

SenoritaViva Wed 19-Dec-12 19:55:18

This point, not thus...

SenoritaViva Wed 19-Dec-12 19:56:24

Youcanbe - that's what I said. Might have conceded in Christmas Eve so we could set it up etc.

UserError Wed 19-Dec-12 20:00:51

Hmmm. Is he struggling for ideas to entertain them, perhaps?

YANBU.

SantaIAmSoFuckingRock Wed 19-Dec-12 20:04:47

my 7 year old tells me i'm no fun when he doesn't get his own way. your DH will grow out of it when he gets into his late teens. oh, sorry, you mean he's a fully grown adult, saying "you're no fun".

my ds's had a sneaky peak at 1 present this morning. just poked a whole in one present and saw what it was. but i'm still making them wait til xmas day before they can have it, or even find out who it's for.

SenoritaViva Wed 19-Dec-12 20:05:57

Spot on usererror, he's not from the uk and particularly struggles in winter.

misscph1973 Wed 19-Dec-12 20:07:47

Sounds just like my DH. I also get accused of being "no fun" if he wants to do something that I don't want to do.

While I can understand why your DH wants to open the present, I agree completely with you - it's sending your kids the wrong signals to open the present early and it's not great to call you "no fun" in front of the kids.

?

Al

FiveFestiveFlowers Wed 19-Dec-12 20:13:06

I was 'no fun' to my ex when:

he wanted sex and I didn't
I needed to go shopping and he wanted to stay at home
I wanted to sleep and he wasn't tired
he wanted to drink and I didn't
etc, etc, blah blah

FiveFestiveFlowers Wed 19-Dec-12 20:13:47

Sorry, YADNBU.

Whatevertheweather Wed 19-Dec-12 20:17:42

Eh? Why do you all have presents under the tree for the dc's already? Is Santa not bringing them Christmas eve??

Anyway YANBU re early opening but they shouldn't even be out!

SenoritaViva Wed 19-Dec-12 20:23:49

Ah whatever, we do things differently to you obviously. Father Christmas fills stockings on Christmas Eve but the big presents come from us...

SantaIAmSoFuckingRock Wed 19-Dec-12 20:28:19

the presents under the tree are gifts from other people and from each of us to each other. santa brings the stocking stuff and one big gift each.

FredFredGeorge Wed 19-Dec-12 21:46:19

As it's a gift to the family and to help entertain Christmas, I think it's not too unreasonable to get it out now - as it will be less interesting on Christmas when there's so many other options.

However it shouldn't've been wrapped and put under the tree so YANBU.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now