Talk

Advanced search

to go on a three hour drive Christmas eve.

(19 Posts)
Crawling Wed 19-Dec-12 10:11:41

I want to visit SIL. and BILL who lives in Heathrow which is 3 hours away. But the thing is I passed my test 3 months ago I plan on leaving in the morning and leaving to come home at 4:00 so I won't be late home, I'm traveling at non busy times, I've planned the route and rest stops I have AA and maps.

I have wanted to go for years as she always comes down I have done a 2hour return journey so its only a hour more. My family think its too much too soon and I'm being silly to go but I am pretty sure ill be fine. What do other experienced drivers think.

scurryfunge Wed 19-Dec-12 10:13:08

I'm sure you will be fine, just be prepared for busy roads.

cluttercluttereverywhere Wed 19-Dec-12 10:17:09

I'd rather go on Christmas Eve than on the Friday before, I would think that the roads (particularly near H'row) would be a lot busier then. You'll be fine.

MostlyFine Wed 19-Dec-12 10:19:16

If you feel confident enough then go for it. 2 months after passing my test I drove from Glasgow to Manchester for a concert and prepared just as you have; checking routes etc. Just go and take your time and stop at services if you need to.

Crawling Wed 19-Dec-12 10:21:01

Ah thanks I feel better about going now I was all happy till my family tried to talk me out of it then I started worrying.

Sallyingforth Wed 19-Dec-12 10:22:17

It sounds like you have planned it as carefully as you can. Just watch out for those drink drivers - they are still about at this time of year.

WhenAChildIsBawnTigga Wed 19-Dec-12 10:25:25

You'll be fine, leave space and take it steady.

I did 5000 miles the first 2 weeks after passing my test and went to Anglesey from Ashton-Under-Lyne the day after passing my CBT.

FearlessAboutDrivingTiggaxx

LittleChristmasBearPad Wed 19-Dec-12 10:28:39

If you want to do it then go for it but driving is tiring whether you're a newbie or an experienced driver and the roads will be fairly busy. It will also be getting dark shortly after 4. But if you take your time, know where you're going and stop if you need a break then you'll be fine. BTW I'd say broadly the same thing to long term drivers. Also if you go in the M25 don't let people hassle you - you're meant to broadly stay in the same lanes when speed restrictions are in place (usual) but some people seem to think it's a dodgems ride.

squeakytoy Wed 19-Dec-12 10:30:21

It isnt so much how long you have been driving, but how much experience you have had. It will be very busy at all times around heathrow, other than between midnight and 5am...

I am not saying you shouldnt do it, but I wouldnt advise doing it alone in my opinion.

Crawling Wed 19-Dec-12 10:31:05

am rofl at the m25 being a dodgem ride grin

Crawling Wed 19-Dec-12 10:33:45

Squeakytoy DP will be coming but he doesn't drive so will only be able to help with keeping kids calm and directions.

cozietoesie Wed 19-Dec-12 10:34:51

You should be OK if you drive carefully and are prepared (including keeping an eye on the weather in case of rain or ice.) Not something I would do at this time of year but then I'm inside with the drawbridge raised from midday on Xmas Eve.

smile

valiumredhead Wed 19-Dec-12 10:36:11

Have you had motorway lessons? As squeaky said it's not about how long you have been driving but how experienced you are. It will be very busy at all times.

whois Wed 19-Dec-12 10:37:46

If you're confident then go for it. Drive sensibly, stop for a break every now and again.

Pooka Wed 19-Dec-12 10:38:53

OUr sat nav is great for busy motorways - shows exactly which lane at junctions for example. makes a big difference.

MaxPepsi Wed 19-Dec-12 10:47:32

Go for it.

You'll never do it otherwise. Your family sound lovely to care so much.

I have to drive over 2.5hrs to my head office every month which involves the motorway and I've only been driving 2 years.

Some of my friends who have been drving 20plus years are amazed I do it!

Crawling Wed 19-Dec-12 10:50:52

pooka we have a sat nav.

I have driven on motorways a few times but I mostly drive on A roads if I'm honest .

ToriaHosannaHeadacheChelsea Wed 19-Dec-12 10:59:48

Go for it. Two weeks after passing my test I drove from Aberdeen to Edinburgh to go back to uni after the Christmas break.

The longer you put these things off the harder they become, my younger cousin put off driving along the (minor A road) main road from her house to mine for months and months and months because her mum was visibly nervous about it. Once she'd done it the first time she couldn't believe she'd been so nervous!

Crawling Wed 19-Dec-12 11:03:38

Thanks all I'm going to go I've planned it carefully I'll be fine.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: