Talk

Advanced search

Towards these 2 young carol singers?

(9 Posts)
IwishyouaMerryChristmas Tue 18-Dec-12 20:32:44

About 6.30pm tonight there was a knock on our door. I was in the middle putting our ds's to bed but decided to open the door.

There were 2 young children on our doorstep, probably about 8 or 9 singing We Wish You a Merry Christmas. They had thick jumpers but no coats or hats. Their clothes were very dirty - mud on the thighs of their trousers and arms of their jumpers.

I would usually give carol singers money as we tend to have choirs or bands come around collecting for charity but I felt a bit uncomfortable giving these 2 children money, so I gave them some sweets instead.

For some reason I can't help thinking about this and wondering if I did the right thing. AIBU to give sweets?

CaliforniaSucksSnowballs Tue 18-Dec-12 20:50:50

I bet they were thrilled to bits, they were probably going to buy sweets with the money anyway.

WorraLorraTurkey Tue 18-Dec-12 20:54:00

What did the mud on their clothes have to do with it?

It's damp and muddy outside, you should have seen the state of my DS after he came in from playing out on the green.

I wouldn't have given them anything, without an adult there...especially not sweets as I assume they've been taught not to accept them from strangers.

Shame they weren't taught not to knock on random doors though...

IwishyouaMerryChristmas Tue 18-Dec-12 21:29:09

I'm just trying to paint a picture Worra

If I was going to let our ds's out carol singing, they wouldn't go out covered in mud. I thought it was a bit odd, that's all.

peaceandlovebunny Tue 18-Dec-12 21:39:26

don't give them anything!
they shouldn't be begging door to door! disgracing themselves and their families.

carol singers in properly organised groups with adults in charge, are acceptable.

WeWilsonAMerryChristmas Tue 18-Dec-12 21:43:15

^^ hmm

Och, they're just being entrepreneurial.

quoteunquote Tue 18-Dec-12 23:13:50

don't give them anything!
they shouldn't be begging door to door! disgracing themselves and their families

hmm

IwishyouaMerryChristmas Wed 19-Dec-12 08:27:56

I don't feel so bad now!

whois Wed 19-Dec-12 09:58:10

*don't give them anything!
they shouldn't be begging door to door! disgracing themselves and their families*

Where's the peace love bunny?

I think giving them a few sweets is much better than money to that age with no adults about. Love the entrepreneurial spirit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now