Talk

Advanced search

Or am I being a meany? (Christmas console dilemma)

(53 Posts)
trixymalixy Tue 18-Dec-12 16:12:59

DS asked for a wii last Xmas, i debated it but didn't get one.

I have bought one this year in the amazon black Friday deals for the family, but DS came gone from school with a letter to Santa asking for a wii AND an Xbox 3 six dee (sic). I have been trying to manage expectations that Santa doesn't bring everything you have asked for, but all he has been talking about is this Xbox.

I had decided to stick to the wii because I would quite like one and I have bought a couple of games for it, but am now in a bit of a dilemma. I have been offered a free wii and I have been offered a brand new Xbox a friend won but doesn't want for a good price. DH thinks I am being a meany and should return the wii I have bought, take the free wii and buy the Xbox. I think we should just stick to the wii as I don't really want 2 consoles in the house and I would prefer (and I think DS would ) the wii.

WWYD? Am I being mean as the cost to us would be the same and DS would be over the moon?

CajaDeLaMemoria Tue 18-Dec-12 16:15:51

I'd get the Xbox.

Presuming this is the old Wii, new games will not be compatible with it. That's probably why you've been offered one for free - the new Wii is now out, and Nintendo have announced that no more Wii games will be produced. Third party games developers usually stop creating games when the manufacturer does, so there will be very little, if anything, that isn't already out.

An Xbox, on the other hand, is likely to be enjoyed by everyone. There is a huge amount of games, and it's a lot more social. It will also be supported for the forseeable future, so all the new games will come out on that.

lurkedtoolong Tue 18-Dec-12 16:16:21

Your DS wants an Xbox, but you've bought a Wii because that's what you want?

goodygumdrops Tue 18-Dec-12 16:17:34

Definitely the x box - has much more longevity.

Plus what lurked said.

ChiefOwl Tue 18-Dec-12 16:17:37

How old is ds?

trixymalixy Tue 18-Dec-12 16:19:08

He wants an Xbox AND a wii. Asking him, he doesn't actually know what an Xbox is, he's just heard the boys at school talking about it.

Reading my post I do sound a bit mean.

trixymalixy Tue 18-Dec-12 16:19:48

DS is 5.

NoTeaForMe Tue 18-Dec-12 16:19:50

Totally depends on how old your ds is!

think it's mean that you're ignoring his Christmas wish because the wii is what you want though!

fedupwithdeployment Tue 18-Dec-12 16:20:22

We bought a Wii yesterday (second hand from GAME) and I know it won't last forever...but spending £350 odd on the new one wasn't an option. The children will enjoy it for a bit. I don't mind that new games won't work - but perhaps that is more of an issue for you??

I think that a Wii AND an Xbox would be too much. If you go for that option, can you hide one and save it for the next birthday?

LadyIsabellasHollyWreath Tue 18-Dec-12 16:20:35

How old is he? When's his next birthday?

NatashaBee Tue 18-Dec-12 16:20:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NoTeaForMe Tue 18-Dec-12 16:21:28

Cross post! I think unless you can get the kinect for the Xbox then you should stick to the wii. 5 is too young to really play an Xbox, by the time he's grown into it and can play the games well there will be a whole new console out that he wants!

trixymalixy Tue 18-Dec-12 16:21:46

Fedup, my main objection is 2 consoles for a 5 year old, and I know he loves the wii as his grandparents both have them.

ChiefOwl Tue 18-Dec-12 16:22:39

If he's 5 I'd say the wii is fine smile

Ragwort Tue 18-Dec-12 16:23:49

5 shock - well, I am a real meany then because I don't allow my 11 year old to have any form of console grin.

StuntGirl Tue 18-Dec-12 16:25:27

Its up to you if its in your budget really. In my experience if they have two consoles they will play one over the other, but if you fancy the Wii yourself then perhaps it won't be so bad if you're using the Wii and he's using the 360.

There won't be any more new games for the Wii but much like the ps2 there are LOTS of games for the Wii still and retailers will continue to sell and trade the old games.

The 360 is more future proof though, and you can easily control what he sees/plays online with it (if you even go online at all). There are some great kids games on the 360, just not as many as the Wii.

crunchbag Tue 18-Dec-12 16:27:11

Your DH thinks you are a meany? I think he fancies an x-box for himself smile

Whosaysitstheseasontobejolly Tue 18-Dec-12 16:30:34

The Wii U is backward compatible with Wii games just not with gamecube.

I think the wii is good for a 5 year old. My DS has been hankering after an x box for a good while..he is 10 and I have got him one for xmas.

For a 5 yr old def the wii smile

CaliforniaSucksSnowballs Tue 18-Dec-12 16:36:39

My guys have x box 360 and also Wii (which they never use) So take the free wee for yourself and give him an X-Box, it means you can easily buy birthday a Christmas presents (games) for years to come.

trixymalixy Tue 18-Dec-12 16:37:14

I knew the new wii was coming out, so I thought there would be loads of cheap 2nd hand games available for the wii.

His birthday is in January, so one could be for Xmas, one for birthday. Its not the cost as such, it's the 2 consoles I think is a bit much and up until now he has asked for a wii, the Xbox thing has come out of the blue!

trixymalixy Tue 18-Dec-12 16:38:36

I also think the wii is better for a 5 year old, which is why I was sticking to my guns on this!

maddening Tue 18-Dec-12 16:40:33

Get the Wii for you and the x box for ds. If it was only for him then the Xbox and return the Wii as you have the option of either since the offer from your friend came in and it is his Xmas present that he asked for - your wanting a Wii does not mean you should get it for ds when he is asking for an Xbox and there is one of similar cost as Wii available. If you want a Wii take the free one for yourself.

trixymalixy Tue 18-Dec-12 16:43:57

He has written wii AND Xbox in his letter to Santa AND mario kart for the wii. If it was just the Xbox he had asked for then that's what we would be getting. It's not as simple as one or the other.

chandellina Tue 18-Dec-12 16:46:06

Yabu for considering not only one but two consoles for a five year old! That's just my opinion, I know a lot of people don't feel the same.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now