Talk

Advanced search

Not to listen to music?

(12 Posts)
WafflesandWhippedCream Tue 18-Dec-12 13:44:28

I don't really like listening to music, it would never occur to me to listen to the radio or play a CD for pleasure. When DH plays his music, I usually have to tell him to turn it off after a very short while (so he generally just listens through headphones).

I do worry a bit that my DC are missing out. They love music, and spend their whole time. I sometimes put music on for them to dance to, but I can't cope with it on for long, usually well before the CD ends I have to turn it off. DD1 does ballet and I take them along to music groups during the week , which they both love, but maybe I should be doing more?

When I was pregnant, I really tried to listen to lots of music, so they would hear it from the womb, but I just couldn't keep it up. It's like I physically can't do it. I usually quite enjoy listening for the first few minutes of so, but then I feel sort of irritated and I need to have silence. And often then the tune will be stuck in my head for days going round and round and driving me mad.

Do you think it's bad for my children to have such a silent home? Does anyone else feel the same way? I always think it is the most weird thing about me, that I'd much rather have silence. Other people seem to be so passionate about music, and to enjoy it so much, and I just can't.

bonzo77 Tue 18-Dec-12 13:49:00

YAnBU. Google a condition called "amusica". I think I have it. I actually find music distressing. However, I was brought up with no music and I think that's part of the problem, and I do feel like I miss out. Luckily DH is very musical, and DS does express some interest. Can you try playing old familiar stuff (like things you enjoyed as a teenager) to get things started?

everlong Tue 18-Dec-12 13:51:04

I'm the opposite. I can't get enough of it. The dc and dh are the same.

It's not wrong to not like it, it's just your preference. As long as your dc get the chance to listen to it whilst growing up I don't see a problem.

Have you not heard of this little band called the Foo Fighters? wink Try them you might like it smile

squeakytoy Tue 18-Dec-12 13:58:54

I do think it is a bit odd to say that you do not like ANY type of music. I dont like jazz or opera, but I love rock and country...

WowOoo Tue 18-Dec-12 14:02:03

I have a friend like you. Just something she isn't into.
I find it hard to understand. The first thing I do when I get in the car, get home is to put some music on.
I can't imagine doing housework without music to lift my spirits.
Have you tried all types of music? World music? Classical? Folk? etc.

I don't think it's bad for dc but I think they might be missing out a bit. My children are 6 and 3 but they already have a small CD selection and play some songs (chilled classical mostly) at bedtime. get your Dh to choose some with them if you feel bad about it.

Theicingontop Tue 18-Dec-12 14:05:36

I hardly play music in our house. OH does though, but his drives me mad, it's shit we have completely different music tastes.

I grew up in a house full of cheesy 70's music, hoping and praying that my dad would come home and play some Black Sabbath or something, or at least turn the damn record player off.

I think you're doing more than enough to expose your children to music. More than most I'd say. YANBU.

WafflesandWhippedCream Tue 18-Dec-12 16:33:51

Amusica sounds interesting, I can relate to the description.

As far as music I liked in my teens goes - I never ever listened to music as a teenager. I used to play the piano a bit, I quite liked doing it myself, but I don't really like listening to other people play.

And though I hate DH's music - stuff with a thumping beat - there are lots of types that I can tolerate, or even enjoy for a minute or two, but then I am all "musicked out" and have to stop again.

CailinDana Tue 18-Dec-12 16:59:49

I'm not keen on music either. People seem to find it weird, and it really really annoys me when people list loads of types or say "have you tried..." as though I've been living in a box for 30 years. I've heard all types of music and there is very very little that appeals to me. I do listen to the radio in the car but that's it. Strangely I like musicals but that's more because the songs tell a story and tend not to be very repetitive.

I think the reason I'm not keen on music is because I tend to listen very closely to the lyrics and the fact is most songs have ridiculous, shit or insincere lyrics. I find music very distracting - I can't have it on in the background as it takes over my whole brain as I am listening to the words. A lot of songs have very repetitive parts which I find intensely irritating - Robbie Williams' new song for example repeats a lot of short phrases and I actually feel my skin prickling when I hear it, it's torture.

There are some very specific songs/pieces of music that I like but even then I can't listen to them much or they start annoying me too.

Liking music isn't a requirement and it sounds like your children have plenty of access to it so I don't think you need to worry. FWIW my DS (2) seems similar to me - he likes a song if he's really in the mood but he often asks for music to be turned off as he finds it "loud" (his word for annoying or unpleasant) and he won't participate in sing songs at playgroup. Doesn't bother me, I can't force him to like it.

SantaWearsGreen Tue 18-Dec-12 18:25:06

I used to LOVE music, listened too it every single day for a big part of the day and regularly went to gigs. Since I've had DC I am like you and struggle to listen for long before it gets on my tits, makes my head feel like it is going to split open and I just long for silence.. So weird.

CajaDeLaMemoria Tue 18-Dec-12 18:27:44

If you don't like music, don't make yourself listen to it. Let your DCs enjoy it though. Do they get to listen to music with their dad, while you are doing something else? Or go to those musical classes?

WafflesandWhippedCream Tue 18-Dec-12 21:24:52

cailin and santa I am nodding my head, that's just how I feel. It's good to discover I'm not the only one grin.

And thanks to everyone for the reassurance that it won't damage the DCs. They both sing all the time now (bit embarrassing in public), but I don't want to somehow lead by example and make them end up not liking it too. I want them to keep that enjoyment.

freddiefrog Tue 18-Dec-12 21:31:59

I listen to music a lot but mainly because I can't bear complete silence.

The radio is always on in the car but it's more background noise than something I'm actually listening to if that makes sense

A few of my friends are real music fans and think I'm weird as I'm as happy listening to One Direction on the radio as I am seeing Kings Of Leon live, I'm not fussy - the only things I really, really hate is opera and jazz

My kids love music though and are always on Spotify or their iPods

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now