Talk

Advanced search

To think stealing from GOSH is about as low as you can get

(31 Posts)
sashh Tue 18-Dec-12 07:20:07

Someone has stolen 20 wrapped presnts intended for patients at Great Ormand St Hospital.

What a twonk.

Sirzy Tue 18-Dec-12 07:21:44

It is low but at the same time it doesn't suprise me. The play room at our local hospital is constantly having to restock toys because things go missing sad

MrsBucketxx Tue 18-Dec-12 07:31:49

Sirzy that could be accidental though, I know my two year old coming home from pkay group with a car I had to return.

Thats shocking if they are meant for charity, some people have no morals.

Sirzy Tue 18-Dec-12 07:55:41

Not sure you can accidentally take a DVD player home!

BoffinMum Tue 18-Dec-12 08:09:46

Someone may have suspended their morals out of desperation.

cozietoesie Tue 18-Dec-12 08:12:27

Then they weren't morals, BoffinMum.

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Tue 18-Dec-12 08:17:31

Desperation might be an excuse for stealing food from Tesco, but it's never an excuse for stealing Christmas presents from sick children.

These people are scum.

Sirzy Tue 18-Dec-12 08:31:14

Exactly outraged!

cinnamonnut Tue 18-Dec-12 08:34:32

Bollocks to that, BoffinMum. Pretty sure desperation is stealing food, not stealing a DVD player from very ill children.

pingpongmerrilyonhigh Tue 18-Dec-12 08:57:05

Sadly I'm not surprised.

When I started working in our local kids hospital way back in the early 80s the ward tvs went walkies, kettles would vanish, purses and handbags would be stolen from the bedsides, staff had their lockers rummaged through.

Even more recently staff at the Royal Infirmary found their lockers forced and stolen from

freddiefrog Tue 18-Dec-12 09:00:24

That's awful

But then we've had a spate locally of charity collection tins being stolen, so I can't say I'm all that shocked to be honest

cozietoesie Tue 18-Dec-12 09:02:49

'Easy pickings', sadly.

FireOverBethlehem Tue 18-Dec-12 09:03:43

hopefully it'll be fairly easy to find out what happened to the GOSH presents - htey were apparently in an area not accessible to the public, so there must be CCTV footage of staff giving someone access / removing wrapped boxes.

Still a vile thing to do though.

mercibucket Tue 18-Dec-12 09:06:09

How about stealing a child's teddy bear while they lie in hospital seriously ill?

Some people are just scum

mercibucket Tue 18-Dec-12 09:06:10

How about stealing a child's teddy bear while they lie in hospital seriously ill?

Some people are just scum

crashdoll Tue 18-Dec-12 09:07:41

A vile excuse for a human being raised money in the name of a young child with terminal cancer and kept it for herself. The child sadly died and the money was never returned. sad

BloominMisteltoeMarvellousWine Tue 18-Dec-12 09:08:54

How awful sad some people really are scum!!!

As others have said desperation could maybe excuse stealing food in Tesco but not sick children's toys.

I hope they will be replaced.

Toughasoldboots Tue 18-Dec-12 09:10:27

When dd2 was in hospital recently , all the personal DVD players were alarmed and the DVDs had security type tags on them. Apparently patients families had been stealing them. So much for thanking them for the treatment.

Backtobedlam Tue 18-Dec-12 09:12:45

That's terrible-I would say that I can't believe someone would do something like that...but nothing like this surprises me anymore. There are some truly vile people around.

It is pretty low... But I am willing to bet kids spending xmas in hospital get a lot from family and donations. Those twenty gifts are probably a drop in the ocean of gifts donated. But might have been electricity, food and a gift for a child living in poverty. Parents do desperate things when times are hard.

cozietoesie Tue 18-Dec-12 10:16:22

I think that the problem, flyingspaghettimonster , is that parents would probably be the last people to nick kids' presents. They would be relating those to their own children.

I suspect that, sadly, many of the thefts mentioned above are simply by ordinary thieves who see a good target of opportunity.

SoleSource Tue 18-Dec-12 10:19:17

Perfectly put, Outraged.

Scum.

ShamyFarrahCooper Tue 18-Dec-12 10:19:54

Celtic Football Club are to replace the stolen presents, which I think is a fine gesture from them (and I say this as a supporter of their rivals).

cinnamonnut Tue 18-Dec-12 10:20:06

That's right, excuse the scumbags, flyingspaghettimonster.

I'm sure that'll help.

Like cozietoesie said, it's probably ordinary thieves.

ThePoppyAndTheIvy Tue 18-Dec-12 10:20:13

How sad that people could do that to any child at Christmas, let alone the patients of GOSH sad.

Some people are just plain bad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now