Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To ask why children don't sit on Santa's lap anymore?

(31 Posts)

Been to a few shopping centres recently and noticed that children sit next to Santa on a bench, rather than on his knee. Is this a new thing? Thought it was a bit sad!

peaceandlovebunny Mon 17-Dec-12 21:12:39

because santa's a perv???
or because he doesn't want a wet knee from a frightened child?

peaceandlovebunny Mon 17-Dec-12 21:12:52

elf and safety. obv.

TeamBacon Mon 17-Dec-12 21:12:53

Um... why do you think? confused

dexter73 Mon 17-Dec-12 21:13:26

I would have thought it was fairly obvious!

FryOneFatChristmasTurkey Mon 17-Dec-12 21:13:27

Probably both, but more to protect him from being called a perv, given the nature of today's society.

Sad tho init

Ok, I get why sarcasmos, but is this done everywhere now ?

OddBoots Mon 17-Dec-12 21:14:27

Loads of reasons but if I was Santa my top one would be to stop the little beggers pulling my beard.

Itsnotahoover Mon 17-Dec-12 21:14:31

It's a peeeedo emerjunceeee innit? Santa might be a raging pervert! The whole world has gone mad I tell ya!

InNeedOfBrandyButter Mon 17-Dec-12 21:15:21

To protect Santa I would say from any allegations.

To stop the over-excited little beggars weeing on his red trousers smile

Meh. The one I saw was in a small bauble-type thing in brent cross surrounded by elves and parents, what could he have done?

lotsofdogshere Tue 18-Dec-12 13:13:02

Sorry to be bah humbug here - but my pals grandchildren were indecently assaulted when visiting a store santa a couple of years ago. The two little girls told mummy, dreadful dreadful time for all of them. They were aged about 4 and 5, so too young to give evidence at court, but old enough to make clear to mummy and the police exactly what happened. As it's rare for children under 7 to give evidence, there was no prosecution as Santa denied putting his hands in their panties and there was no independent evidence. I know, I know, it's not what you want to hear itsnotahoover, but being Santa for a few weeks, it's just the kind of job that a pedophile would be delighted to get isn't it.

lovelyladuree Tue 18-Dec-12 13:28:40

In Harrods, my DCs were wrapped in Santa's cape, which they absolutely loved. They sat next to him, rather than on his knee, but I don't think either party would have minded if they had climbed up. But, that's Harrods.

babybythesea Tue 18-Dec-12 13:29:48

We stopped the kids sitting on Santa's lap where I worked.
Not because we didn't trust Santa - we were a small community where I worked and Santa was played by one of our staunch volunteers, known to us for 20 plus years, with grandkids of his own - I'd have trusted my dd with him in a heartbeat (he died two years ago. I was so very fond of him and I still miss seeing him). We decided best not to let kids on his lap though to protect him. There is a risk that someone will make allegations and we couldn't face the thought of putting him in that position.

lovelyladuree Tue 18-Dec-12 13:30:15

lotsofdogshere where was Mummy when Santa was rummaging in their pants?

StephaniePowers Tue 18-Dec-12 13:32:38

Is this really a question which needs to be asked?!

Fakebook Tue 18-Dec-12 13:35:12

Lovelyladuree, what a horrible and crass thing to say.

KellyEllyChristmasBelly Tue 18-Dec-12 13:35:49

My DD and her friend sat on Santa's knee but it was at a private party for kids that I organise at my work. I suppose if its in a public place like a shopping centre they have more rules and regulations.

BeyondStuffedWithXmassyGoodies Tue 18-Dec-12 13:35:57

I'm sure I remember reading in the DM somewhere, that it was more to do with childhood obesity than the peedos...?

cheekybaubles Tue 18-Dec-12 13:42:02

Santa in the Art Gallery in Brum had my child sit on his knee when we visited Sunday.
I was quite surprised as haven't seen that done for ages.
He is a lovely Santa though and gives my little one an extra pressie as its also her Birthday. smile

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 18-Dec-12 13:45:23

Go to France children can sit on Santa's knee and give him a kiss. If parents are watching through the lens of their camera there is very unlikely to be anything untoward.

Blending Tue 18-Dec-12 14:01:32

DD sat on Santas Lap this morning. There was a bench next to him, but being 2 yo she wanted a cuddle. I asked if it was ok before she clambered up.

I think it depends on the Grotto, but as I was right there I couldn't see the harm. I know we hear horror stories, like above but I hardly think that she was in any danger with me and DH next to her.

Sirzy Tue 18-Dec-12 14:03:41

You can sit on Santas knee at the Trafford centre

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now