Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Was I unreasonable to keep DCs quirky and naff school made Xmas tree decorations

(31 Posts)
drizzlecake Mon 17-Dec-12 02:49:14

Just thought I would suggest to parents that it can be good fun to keep some of the funny xmas tree decs that DCs make in nursery and primary school.

We bring them out each year (DCs now adult) and it gives us a laugh, specially the ones with photos.

I wish I had kept more.

They are truly tatty and wouldn't fit the designer tree style of decorating but bring back memories of past happy Xmases.

Kytti Mon 17-Dec-12 02:55:13

I keep all their awful beautiful hand-made things. They are sooo proud of them, it would be mean to ignore them.

My tree looks like a Christmas hotch-potch. My children love it. Isn't that the point?

VestaCurry Mon 17-Dec-12 03:27:26

Oh we have the most beautiful angel which takes pride of place on top of the tree every year. Ds1 made it at nursery when he was 3. It's very delicate and has it's own special box to keep it safe.

CaliforniaSucksSnowballs Mon 17-Dec-12 03:42:38

I love all those little handmade ornaments they made in preschool and reception class, Ds 1 made a green star with a hole in the middle and then they stuck his picture to the back, it's like a photo frame, He's only 2 in the picture, most of the glitter has come off but I love it.
I have ones made by all three kids, some are broken and gone, but the survivors are hung with pride on the tree each year.

MyCannyBairn Mon 17-Dec-12 07:16:24

No, I keep everything.

Psammead Mon 17-Dec-12 07:19:04

I cannot wait for Dd to start bringing home tat.

peaceandlovebunny Mon 17-Dec-12 07:19:28

seems fair. i've just passed the majority of my christmas decs on to daughter, now she's a mummy and in charge of such things.

RiddoTheRedNosedReindeer Mon 17-Dec-12 07:19:44

Our tree is proudly displaying a lump of pva with sequins in it which DD (18) made when she was 3 plus some raggedy pipecleaner and paper angels. I love getting them out every year.

chicaguapa Mon 17-Dec-12 07:26:35

DC love getting out their old decorations, it's their favourite part of decorating the tree. They're 11 & 8 now so don't make them at school anymore, so this year they suggested making it a family tradition to go to the local painting pottery place every year to paint a bauble each for the tree. Sounded like a good idea to me. They seem older now, but when they're coming home from uni for Christmas we'll realise they were still little dots and will be glad we kept it up.

ramblingmum Mon 17-Dec-12 07:27:29

MY dsis (37) has asked for her bell ( piece of egg box which once had some glitter on it) back from our Dad so she can put it on her own tree.

exoticfruits Mon 17-Dec-12 07:30:51

We put my adult DCs school made decorations on the tree every year- that is what Christmas trees are all about!

CouthyMowEatingBraiiiiinz Mon 17-Dec-12 07:36:28

I have them all still, even DD's angel that looks pissed now, after 11 years of constant use (she made it in Nursery, she's nearly 15 now!)

They have their own mini trees in their room that their decorations go on!

NothingIsAsBadAsItSeems Mon 17-Dec-12 07:41:13

My parents still bring out the ones we made when we were little grin

AnnaBegins Mon 17-Dec-12 07:45:39

Mum tried to throw ours out so I rescued them and now they hang proudly on my tree grin

SugaricePlumFairy Mon 17-Dec-12 07:53:32

My boys are now 13, 15 and 17!

I still have all of the angels and snowmen which they made at primary school which are proudly and lovingly placed in the tree every year.

Love them! grin

QuickLookBusy Mon 17-Dec-12 08:09:40

My DDs are 22 and 18. I still have 4 decorations they made, used to have more but some of them dropped apart or perished ( cotton wool snowman and clay sparkly star sad)

We still have a knitted stocking, a doghmm in a Xmas hat made on a sewing machine) and two crafty stars. They are very precious and take pride of place on my otherwise very traditional tree.

StrawberryTot Mon 17-Dec-12 08:19:10

YAdefinitelyNBU I'm 27 and my mum still has some of the home made decorations I made as well as my db's (32) and dsis (36).
My tree is now adorned by creations of my dc's and I love it!!! grin In all honesty my tree hardly has any matching baubles but I don't care it's a 7 and a half foot beast decorated with love, particularly the bottom 3 foot where the kids reach!!

COCKadoodledooo Mon 17-Dec-12 13:09:55

Am 36 and my mum still gets my primary school efforts out each year, and I intend to do the same with my dc grin

CuttedUpPear Mon 17-Dec-12 13:15:12

Our tree is 18 years old with decorations made by all and sundry when they didn't really have the approriate motor skills.
Our fairy is seventy years old and has bits of cracker stuck on her chest as a kind of bra by my mum in the late forties.

It's all wonky and we love it!
(DS complained last night when I levelled the tree out a bit so it wasn't leaning on the wall grin)

autumnmum Mon 17-Dec-12 13:21:06

We've just had a good old laugh about a bell made from a yoghurt pot and a sparkly pipe cleaner which has pride of place on our tree. I also let the kids buy one decoration each every year and these are packed away after Christmas in a box with the childs name on. I intend to give them their collection of decorations when they are adults.

SantasLittleElfycat Mon 17-Dec-12 13:21:26

DD1's star from last year was binned this year - that dough stuff softens. But if any other tatty stuff comes home this year it will have pride of place.

thegreylady Mon 17-Dec-12 13:28:27

I have an angel made from a matchbox, some foil and wool and half a doiley. Dd made it in Reception and it sits at the top of our tree every year. Dd is 38 now and her two DC loved being shown 'Mummy's angel' this year.

lurkedtoolong Mon 17-Dec-12 13:30:53

I'm 36 and my mum still displays the crap beautiful artwork I made at school. I really quite love it.

freddiefrog Mon 17-Dec-12 13:31:35

I keep them all every year too.

Well, the huge paper plate snowman might see the bin after Christmas but the little ones for the tree get kept. Some of DD1's pre-school/reception class ones (now in year 6) are a bit tatty but they love seeing them on the tree

Jingleallthejay Mon 17-Dec-12 13:32:19

My dds have their decs up on the tree every christmas I hav e a 17 yr old bell and log thingy you need to bring them out it is the law

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now