Talk

Advanced search

Christmas presents from the kids?

(14 Posts)
VBisme Sun 16-Dec-12 17:49:05

The kids are now 11 & 13 and it's probably about time that they started giving gifts to people, (and this has been made fairly clear by an aunt giving them money to buy Christmas presents).

DH & I got married this year, but haven't yet got round to sending out the wedding photos to close family.

Would it be unseasonable to buy some photo frames and put wedding pictures of us all in them for the kids to give as gifts? Or is giving photos of yourself a bit hmm

EndoplasmicReticulum Sun 16-Dec-12 17:49:59

But the wedding pictures won't be pictures from the kids, will they? They will be from you.

EndoplasmicReticulum Sun 16-Dec-12 17:50:34

I mean the wedding pictures won't be PRESENTS from the kids, obviously.

SantasNaughtySack Sun 16-Dec-12 17:52:17

My family are getting a framed Christmas picture of DD from her, I don't care if it's naff as they've all moaned they don't have a recent picture of her (obviously I must be the only one with a camera <rolls eyes>, so they've brought it on themselves really grin

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Sun 16-Dec-12 18:23:12

Who do you count as close family? Your parents might, if that are that type of people, like it, but no one else will.

I'd get your kids to consider what people might actually want rather than what is the easiest option.

VBisme Sun 16-Dec-12 18:24:26

Hi Endo, yes the photos will be from the kids (or at least the labels will say "to X love from kids"), the kids don't get any pocket money, so I'd have to pay for any gifts anyway.

VBisme Sun 16-Dec-12 18:26:11

Outraged, I'm counting parents and aunts, (who are single and childless, so we're closest family they have).
I have a feeling you might be right......(I know I'm taking the easy option).

EndoplasmicReticulum Sun 16-Dec-12 18:27:01

What did they do with Aunt's money?

I give school photos of my boys to relatives, but I don't make it their Christmas present. I'm not sure I'd want wedding pictures of anyone apart from my children. I don't even have my own wedding picture in a frame anywhere.

bedmonster Sun 16-Dec-12 18:27:38

I get separate presents from the DC to my mum, MIL, and their cousins (all slightly older but the cousins get pocket money and buy stuff for their little cousins so i buy a little something from my dc to give to them).
Of course it's all from me, but it's nice for the older kids who have spent their pocket money on the others to receive something back.
I KNOW it's not about the receiving yadda yadda yadda, but I want them to know it's appreciated.

VBisme Sun 16-Dec-12 18:37:25

They gave the aunts money to me to look after, so they've still got it to spend on something.
I might ask my mum to scope out the family feelings, no point in giving people photos they don't want, but my aunts do have numerous photos of me and the family around their homes. possibly because my parents gave them in the past

InNeedOfBrandyButter Sun 16-Dec-12 18:40:19

I let mine loose in the pound shop before Christmas, they have great fun choosing random prezzies for everyone and I don't even spend a tenner grin

OhMerGerd Sun 16-Dec-12 18:47:41

Get them making! Baking is good personalised iced biscuits wrapped in some coloured cellophane or 4 pretty cupcakes in a little box. Lavender bags are easy to stitch up from scraps of material and if no lavender can use pot pourri call them drawer scent bags ...
If they're arty a drawing well executed of something that means something to the relli concerned signed and framed has gone down a storm here one year. Daughter once made drop earrings buying beads from a bead shop for the older aunts .. That also went down well .

VBisme Sun 16-Dec-12 18:51:01

Brilliant ideas OMG, thank you

MrsKeithRichards Sun 16-Dec-12 18:51:05

I done the pound shop thing too! My ds is 7 and this is the first year he's 'bought' presents himself and he's really pleased with himself! He got his incredibly swanky uncle a pound bottle of umbro aftershave! His dad a tool box, grandfather's are getting lynx Africa body wash! It was cheap, fun and he understands giving and receiving.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now