Talk

Advanced search

to be hurt by weight comments?

(10 Posts)
charlmascaraoxo Sun 16-Dec-12 14:02:03

I worked away over the summer.

Being in a different country teamed with working 6 days a week with very long hours over the summer. I weighed myself before I left I was 12 stone 6. A lot heavier than I wanted to be.
Got home and I weighed just under 11 stone. (after around 13 weeks)

Sadly I've put most of it back on now.
And had two of my friend tell me that I looked sick and "really ill" before.

Aibu to find these comments hurtful?

kinkyfuckery Sun 16-Dec-12 14:02:59

Your friends are telling you they think you look much better and healthier now as you are. Why is that hurtful?

peaceandlovebunny Sun 16-Dec-12 14:03:29

ignore them. it happens all the time to overweight people - their friends and family can't stand it when they start to look and feel better.
get down to slimming world and shake of the extra pounds. have a wonderful life. sack your friends.

Birdsgottafly Sun 16-Dec-12 14:56:35

Perhaps their comments where how you looked generally and not just about your weight?

If you hadn't been getting enough sleep, eating properly and were stressed, then you will look ill, regardless of losing weight.

Weightloss shouldn't be the only goal, good health should come first.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Sun 16-Dec-12 15:17:37

Just say brightly... "Really? Well I feel fine, thank you"... and change the subject. Not worth getting upset about and nobody else's business what you look like or weigh.

LaCiccolina Sun 16-Dec-12 15:23:12

I disagree. What do they look like? I'm afraid that they view u as one way and ur look changing albeit only marginally to u challenged their view. Now u are back and safe again. The pattern goes back to normal.

I think the comment says more about them than u. To really push what I'm saying to the enth level, did they think u became prettier then before or heaven forbid, them? Calling u sick or ill would be a good way to keep u not changing again?

I could be way off but it doesn't sound as simple as first appears I think...

merlottits Sun 16-Dec-12 15:23:54

People hate other people losing weight, looking better and gaining confidence. They make you doubt yourself by saying you look ill.

My dad once told me I looked like something out of a concentration camp. I was a size 10/12 after being a size 20.

Fuck 'em I say.

SantaWearsGreen Sun 16-Dec-12 15:36:21

^ not necessarily.

Before I had DC my healthy weight was 12 stone. I went through a rough patch and lost 1.5 stone, dropped a dress size down to a 10. Friends were worried, said I looked emaciates and were concerned I was ill. I didn't see an issue but when I put the weight back on and saw pictures I looked dreadful, like a lollipop.

So it may just be that your current weight is where you look 'right'. I don't think they were insulting at all, if anything it was a compliment.

SantaWearsGreen Sun 16-Dec-12 15:36:53

*emaciated

lljkk Mon 17-Dec-12 07:50:15

When you lose weight you lose tone in the face for a while, the skin deflates a bit. That may be what they are seeing.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: