Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

or is m DH.....?

(9 Posts)
recall Sat 15-Dec-12 22:43:41

I am 42, and stopped smoking 18 years ago, about 2 years after my met my husband. Last year, I as experiencing a great deal of stress etc ( you know ) I have 3 dc 5, 3 and 2, I run my own business...it can get very intense.

Anyway, I bought an electric cigarette....I now use it on a daily basis.

My husband detests it, he says I look rough smoking it. If we are out, and I get it out, he gets really grumpy, and it can really spoil the moment.

I am making a determined effort not to use in front of him, but occasionally I really need a drag on it.

Should I not do something that I enjoy just because my husband disapproves?

recall Sat 15-Dec-12 22:44:48

Lots of typos - sorry

CoolaYuleA Sat 15-Dec-12 22:47:42

No you shouldn't stop doing something because your husband disapproves, but I am at a loss as to why you would deliberately re-addict yourself to nicotine after 18 years.....

ChasedByBees Sat 15-Dec-12 22:50:37

Hmm, I think I'm with your DH on this (although slightly on the fence). I can see your point about not giving something up just because your DH disapproves, but you stopped smoking when you met him so he got together with a non-smoker. I'd be hmm if DH started doing this and probably a bit embarrassed.

I'm surprised you need this after giving up 18 years ago!

akaemmafrost Sat 15-Dec-12 22:51:03

Sorry I agree with him. Rightly or wrongly this would really put me off someone.

ChasedByBees Sat 15-Dec-12 22:51:42

Is it actually nicotine then and not just some comfort thing? In that case I'm off the fence, YABU.

WorraLorraTurkey Sat 15-Dec-12 22:52:17

He's probably concerned that you've deliberately gone out to buy something highly addictive.

Your job won't change, your kids won't change and your live won't change.

The only thing that's changed is that you're now an addict so I can see where he's coming from.

There were a million and one other coping strategies you could have chosen.

FunnysFuckingFreezing Sat 15-Dec-12 22:53:14

your DH needs to take you as you are, electronic fag or not. Were you still smoking during those 18 years?

recall Mon 17-Dec-12 11:16:36

Well, I gave up 18 years ago after we had been together for 2 years, so I was a smoker when we met, and so was he. He continued to smoke for about 5 or 6 years after I had stopped, then he quit. I never touched a cig during the 18 years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now