Talk

Advanced search

19 month-old's eye infection - not AIBU, just looking for advice as quickly as possible

(13 Posts)
seoladair Sat 15-Dec-12 21:44:00

My daughter has had an infection in both eyes since Thursday. Following pharmacist advice, I have been bathing her eyes in cooled boiled salted water.
Today I thought she looked worse as her eye looks bloodshot so I got some chloramphenicol drops. The doctor advised adminstering them 4 times a day. She had one round at 5.30 pm and second round at 8.30 pm and is now screaming in pain after waking up.
Should I be concerned? I know that if I take antibiotics myself, the infection seems to get worse while it is fighting the initial doses of antibiotics so is this all that is happening?
While I have typed this message, she has stopped crying, but I am still concerned.
I have just given her some Calpol as I can't find any mention of it being contraindicated.
Any advice gratefully received.

BillyBollyBrandy Sat 15-Dec-12 21:47:56

If 4 times a day then that should be every 6 hours, not 3. Perhaps that is why it is stinging a little and she is crying.

If you have seen the doctors today, the unless she gets very distressed and the eye is obviously worse I would wait a couple of days to see if it improves.

seoladair Sat 15-Dec-12 21:51:03

thanks for quick reply. doc advised 4 hourly doses for tonight as a sort of loading dose but I have so far given 2. she is very distressed...

EverythingsDozy Sat 15-Dec-12 22:03:11

My DD has used chloramphenicol and fucithalmic eye medicines. Neither of them made her eyes sting, but perhaps as Billy said, it might be stinging due to time between administering. I'd probably do 8am, 12pm, 4pm, 8pm.
Chloramphenicol was the better one IME. If you really think its the drops, go back to GP and ask for fucithalmic (if she is ok to have them) as it might help.
Also, when administering, try getting the drops in the corner of the eye, rather than in the middle. Its a bit gentler.
HTH

WelshMaenad Sat 15-Dec-12 22:04:39

Not still breastfeeding, by any chance, or know someone who is?

stopthebusiwanttogetoff Sat 15-Dec-12 22:06:51

Call NHS 24 if you're worried that it could be a reaction, but do keep the calpol/ibuprofen flowing as the drops presumably don't help the pain. If her eye was crusted shut when she woke that may have been traumatic for her hence the distress. Good luck x

BeaWheesht Sat 15-Dec-12 22:06:53

We never had this. Is it possible she's got a virus as well and is just generally not well and so distressed?

allthegoodnamesweretaken Sat 15-Dec-12 22:08:45

I was about to ask the same as welsh, squirt some milk in if you are still bf, it's magic.

WelshMaenad Sat 15-Dec-12 22:19:09

Aye, it fixed DS' evil newborn conjunctivitis right up. He was quite severely jaundiced, the gunk coming out was fluorescent yellow. Like highlighter ink. It was actually quite incredible.

seoladair Sat 15-Dec-12 22:57:41

Thanks so much for all your help. Although I've finished bf, I still have some milk left so I will try that next time she wakes - what an amazing suggestion!
She has gone back to normal now - panic over! Thank you.

Shelly32 Sat 15-Dec-12 23:22:11

My girls have had both chlor and fuc and not liked the initial dose. It shouldn't sting so bad as to have that reaction. I imagine something else, probably feeling ill and miserble is causing the screaming. The eye infection itself can be stingy and painful. Hope feeling better soon!

quoteunquote Sun 16-Dec-12 01:11:51

Euphrasia (Eyebright)

I have found using eyebright really helps, lots on the market

sashh Sun 16-Dec-12 02:06:16

My cousin's child had eye drops that made him aneamic - it's a rare side effect, but can happen.

Sorry not very helpful, just trying to think what it could be.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now