Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think that a lot of girl's school shoes are stupid and not designed for winter...

(71 Posts)
katykuns Fri 14-Dec-12 20:44:43

Granted, I am on a low income and buy from cheaper places, so perhaps that has a bearing on what I come across... but all the ranges I have seen have either had silly high heels (DD is 6) or are little ballet style pumps. It's bloody freezing here and they are just stupid... when it rains water gets on her socks, her feet are permanently cold.
Then I look at the boys shoes and they are all sturdy, cover the whole foot and look they will last more than 5 minutes.

Am I being unreasonable to want to smack the people that design these? And the supermarkets/shops that only sell effectively the same shoe, but with different flowery/butterfly shit on them?

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Fri 14-Dec-12 20:48:18

YANBU. The school shoes for girls are ridiculous. Besides not having any decent covering over the foot, they also do not appear to have any support for the arch of the foot. It must be so uncomfortable walking around in the flattest of flat, unsupportive shoes all day.

peaceandlovebunny Fri 14-Dec-12 20:50:17

you don't mean 'school shoes', though, surely? ones recommended by the school? you must be talking about the 'school shoes' put forward by manufacturers. the sensible shoes are out there if you look for them.

ReallyTired Fri 14-Dec-12 20:50:29

Expensive shoes are no better. Even Clarks and Startite don't do better than the supermarket shoes. Clarks shoes have stupid toys as well as flowery shit.

Dd likes to wear trainers, but I fear that she will have to wear proper shoes when she starts reception.

HeathRobinson Fri 14-Dec-12 20:51:09

YANBU. I hate the type of girls' shoes sold in this country.
The shoes for boys always look much stronger and weatherproof, with a nice thick sole. In fact men's shoes in general have a much thicker sole than women's.

Tingalingle Fri 14-Dec-12 20:51:39

Buy plain black 'boy' shoes.

TheJoyfulChristmasJumper Fri 14-Dec-12 20:54:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LadyIsabellasHollyWreath Fri 14-Dec-12 20:54:59

YANBU. But Kickers do some good ones ..... at a price.

girliefriend Fri 14-Dec-12 20:55:03

Yanbu at all it really annoys me as well!!!

Dd wears black boots to school now as her shoes would just mean freezing cold and wet feet all day.

proofreader Fri 14-Dec-12 20:55:03

YANBU I totally agree, those silly little shoes are ridiculous and designed to turn gurls into...I don't know what...

RueDeWakening Fri 14-Dec-12 20:55:45

YANBU, they are (mostly) hopeless.

I got DD's (year 1) current school shoes from Wynsors and have been quite impressed - they were cheap (under £20) and have lasted really well this term whereas the Clarks that she had in reception were binned at Feb half term despite still fitting as they'd been wrecked and had fallen apart. They're better than lots that I've seen, although still not as robust as the boy options.

TeWisBeenNargledByTheMistletoe Fri 14-Dec-12 20:56:53

It is ridiculous.

I think when DD is at school I will be buying black winter/snow boots and school will just have to cope if they don't like them. She will be walking to school - she needs proper shoes.

Boys shoes are cut wider than girls, as boys feet are generally wider. I don't know about other kids, but DD can't wear boys shoes.

cantspel Fri 14-Dec-12 20:57:50

Get her something like this

www.matalan.co.uk/fcp/product/fashion-to-buy-online/Footwear/Girls-Black-Patent-Lace-Up-Boot/59672&resultsPerPage=100&attrList=Dept,brand

proofreader Fri 14-Dec-12 20:58:27

at one point in my daughters school, trainers were banned completely and so girls were supposed to wear those little ballet pumps.....wtf?

proofreader Fri 14-Dec-12 20:59:25

ooh i like those cantspel

katykuns Fri 14-Dec-12 21:01:43

Thanks RueDe, I will check that site out!

The ones I bought in September when she started Y2 were from Brantano, they lasted 2 months before the sole actually came off.

I bought boys ones this time, despite DD protesting, made it all okay by offering to stick girly stickers on them grin

3b1g Fri 14-Dec-12 21:02:18

We bought DD some Clarks from the outlet store that are the most sensible shoes she has had yet. They are this sort of style (sorry about giant link)
www.thekidsshoecompany.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=257&category_id=7&vmcchk=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=12

katykuns Fri 14-Dec-12 21:03:33

peaceandlovebunny - we don't get ones recommended by the school. We just get told to buy black, waterproof shoes. No trainers allowed.

BRANdishingMistletoe Fri 14-Dec-12 21:05:15

I only buy DD boy's shoes, she is almost 5. I didn't know that boys' feet are wider than girls' feet, my DS's feet are considerably narrower than DD's feet (he is an E fitting and she is an H fitting) so I thought it was just generally variable across both genders.

girliefriend Fri 14-Dec-12 21:05:57

nice boots!

This is what myy dd now wears to school - they haven't moaned yet and I think they look really smart!! Much more practical for this time of year imo.

TeWisBeenNargledByTheMistletoe Fri 14-Dec-12 21:07:50

It is an odd thing, but that's what clarks told me and I find it to be true, it's less width and more shape of foot possibly because I have a boy and a girl who are both an e width, but only ds has ever fitted the boys shoes. They just fell off DD.

MammaTJ Fri 14-Dec-12 21:08:38

YANBU. School shoes for my DD do not last half a term but I cannot risk more than a tenner on her shoes, cos she is going to wreck them whatever.

Startail Fri 14-Dec-12 21:11:48

YANBU
Why the hell the DDs can't wear black mum boots under their black trousers like millions of women do everyday is beyond me.
Flat boots and black trousers is fine for most working environments so why do senior school insist on shoes.

MuddlingMackem Fri 14-Dec-12 21:14:14

YANBU.

Which is why I insist that DD (age 6) has to have shoes from the boys' range for school.

Interesting that you had the sole come off some Brantano shoes. We bought DD Brantano shoes for this term, by half-term they had holes in the soles. Ended up having to go and get her some Clarks after all which, after half a term now, still look practically unworn. hmm

MrsMellowDrummer Fri 14-Dec-12 21:14:15

You are so right. Girls are clearly not expected to play particularly active games, or do any activity that is rough on shoes. After buying the most sturdy pair of Clarks I could find for my 4 year old daughter, they fell to bits after just a few weeks. I always buy her kickers t bars now, and they last really well, and keep her feet warm and dry.
Good strong shoes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now