Talk

Advanced search

MN opinion wanted - return wrong number school call or not

(14 Posts)
redskyatnight Fri 14-Dec-12 14:02:00

Just had a voicemail on my mobile from a teacher to say that X has not done his English coursework and could I chase it up. I don't have a child called X and (having googled) the school is at the opposite end of the country to us. So clearly a wrong number.

DH reckons I should ring the school back and let them know in the interests of trying to be helpful. I am conscious that I will get through to school Reception who may not be clear who the call is about (child identified only by 1st name which is a pretty common name, caller's name not audible). Obviously if call were about a sick child or something I would do this. Is missing coursework important enough to warrant calling the school or will they just think I am a loon?

SunflowersSmile Fri 14-Dec-12 14:03:43

I might call and explain- however at the first sign of awkwardness I would give up!

squeakytoy Fri 14-Dec-12 14:04:20

it may be important if there is ever an emergency that they need to get hold of the parent for, so yes, I would call them and let them know.. they should be able to ask the english teachers and find one that has made a call regarding pupil "x".

WeAreSix Fri 14-Dec-12 14:04:44

I would call and let them know that you've had a voice mail left, but they must have the wrong number. That will avoid future calls too hopefully if a parent's number has been written down incorrectly.

chrismissymoomoomee Fri 14-Dec-12 14:04:53

email then and let them know.

Sirzy Fri 14-Dec-12 14:06:29

Call. They will be able to find who in the English department called.

It's probably a case of the parent having one digit wrong in the number, or the teacher entering it wribg but at least they can check

HauntedLittleLunatic Fri 14-Dec-12 14:11:36

My instinct was - don't bother it will have been mis dialed and the subject of the call is not the end of the world.

However having seen the point on this thread about the possibility that the telephone number is incorrectly stored on their database I would say absolutely call so they can check and correct any error.

OkayHazel Fri 14-Dec-12 14:12:15

Don't bother. Not your kid, not your problem.

DonkeysInTheStableAtMidnight Fri 14-Dec-12 14:12:46

Call. That would be nice of you. The coursework could go towards work submitted for exams/assessment grades so shame if pupil mucks up if a reminder goes astray.

adeucalione Fri 14-Dec-12 14:13:53

I would, and have. Just state the facts and leave them to sort it out.

redskyatnight Fri 14-Dec-12 14:14:43

OK I have called. And navigated the school's very complicated telephone option system to speak to a real person. Who said she would ask about but didn't sound overly hopeful about tracking down where the call had come from. At least I tried smile

SandStorm Fri 14-Dec-12 14:15:47

For the sake of a phone call why wouldn't you? It might not sound important to you but it could be very important to the child, especially if it's part of an exam course.

zlist Fri 14-Dec-12 14:16:43

I would go on the school website and email - you may even be able to find the head of English's email address that way. It will then quickly be forwarded to the correct person.

DonkeysInTheStableAtMidnight Fri 14-Dec-12 14:19:04

Klaxon: OP rang smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now