Talk

Advanced search

To be deeply fed up with John Lewis's online advertising spoiling the christmas surprise

(11 Posts)
Illgetmycoat Thu 13-Dec-12 19:14:36

Once you have bought something from them, it then appears in their adverts at the side of other sites. My children are playing online with their christmas presents staring out at them from the screen.

What John Lewis they thinking of? Are they trying to spoil our Christmas?

Illgetmycoat Thu 13-Dec-12 19:16:22

I mean 'What are John Lewis thinking of?' Apologies - dodgy cut and paste.

SpanielFace Thu 13-Dec-12 19:16:57

I had exactly the same issue with DH's present. I don't think he's twigged though! V annoying.

Tomorrowslookingfine Thu 13-Dec-12 19:22:19

I don't think they are trying to spoil your christmas, how dramatic!
Perhaps email customer services informing them, they probably haven't thought it through.

Illgetmycoat Thu 13-Dec-12 19:24:23

There's certainly the potential for it to spoil my daughter's christmas. Santa's present is up there.

CajaDeLaMemoria Thu 13-Dec-12 19:24:28

It's cookies. It happens all year round.

Clear your cookies and you'll find the problem disappears. Using a different browser will probably work too.

I don't think Customer Services could help you here. It's a technical issue - and it'd require a lot of fixing.

If you are using Chrome, it's the little row of lines next to the address bar. Click that and you can wipe your cookies. If you use another browser, post which one and I can put instructions if you need them smile

Illgetmycoat Thu 13-Dec-12 19:32:38

Caja you are a genius! Cookies cleared and christmas presents gone from screen (though I did briefly get logged out from mumsnet at the same time(!)). Thank you.

I still can't see the logic in advertising something to you that you have already bought though confused...

MrsKeithRichards Thu 13-Dec-12 19:39:00

It's ridiculous, happened with schuch last year when I used dh's computer and there were adverts for doc marten boots all over it.

uptheamp Thu 13-Dec-12 19:42:56

or use InPrivate browsing

YuleBritannia Thu 13-Dec-12 20:09:34

Can't you delete the e-mail and unsubscribe? < wades through this sort of stuff with trepidation>

CajaDeLaMemoria Thu 13-Dec-12 20:12:35

I don't think it's recorded in your cookies that you've bought it, because checkouts are secure, and so no details are transmitted. So the site just knows you've looked at it, and so are tempted, so tries to tempt you into buying them.

I'm glad it worked, anyway smile (Apologies for not mentioning it would log you out!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now