Talk

Advanced search

To be narked that I was asked by the shop assistant to let someone else go ahead of me in the queue at the local co-op...

(66 Posts)
Needingsomeadvice Wed 12-Dec-12 22:17:05

...so that he could 'get to work'?

I am not sure if I as being unreasonable to feel this way. I had dropped my DC off at school and had my other young DC with me in the pushchair. We had run out of basics that morning (due to DP eating them late at night hmm) such as bread, butter, milk etc) and so I had had to prioritise giving DS his weetabix with the last of the milk and make his sandwich with the one remaining slice of bread. I then took DS to school and went straight to the coop for said basic things. Neither myself nor DD had had a proper breakfast, just a banana and a drink of water each to tide us over, and I hadn't had my coffee (which is why I am asking if IWBU). Anyway, the plan was to get home and make proper breakfast for us before heading back out again on various errands.

When I reached the counter and put down my basket, the shop assistant nodded at the man behind me and said to me "Can I just serve this man behind you first luv, because he has got to go to work?" I was a bit grumpy I'll admit, and gave her a bit of an incredulous kind of look and said something along the lines of yes I would because he only had a few things, but in my head I was quite hacked off and thought she shouldn't assume that I wasn't in a hurry to get somewhere (In truth, I was...my caffeine-deprived, low blood sugar self was really wanting to get back home and eat!). She seemed sheepish, and tried to make small talk when she was serving me about my shopping. The man behind me had a can of red bull and a meal deal. He looked very apologetic. He hadn't asked to go in front - I assume he comes in on his way to work quite regularly and the woman took it upon herself to ask for him.

Now, if the man himself had asked if he could jump in front because he was running very late (for example) I would have probably agreed, but I didn't like the way that this woman was implying that my time had less value than his. I felt that she made assumptions that because I was in there at 9:15 with a toddler that I was not in a hurry perhaps, but I feel like it wasn't her call to make really. I am in there a lot as it is probably the closest convenience store that takes cards and is open long hours.

So WIBU? Was I right to feel a bit put out or was it just my lack of coffee and breakfast making me over-cranky? (Please be kind as it is my first AIBU smile).

youmaycallmeSSP Wed 12-Dec-12 22:18:24

YANBU and I would have said no.

beeny Wed 12-Dec-12 22:20:13

YANBU and i would have been very annoyed.

sixlostmonkeys Wed 12-Dec-12 22:20:48

lack of coffee, definitely.

but I guess you've had lots of caffeine since judging by the length of the post grin

You won't even remember this event in a few days.

threesocksfullofchocs Wed 12-Dec-12 22:21:11

yanbu, she was.

GoldQuintessenceAndMyhrr Wed 12-Dec-12 22:21:17

Yanbu, I would also have said no.

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Wed 12-Dec-12 22:22:39

Yanbu but to be honest I would not really care. The nicest thing about not having t

Stuffingballs Wed 12-Dec-12 22:23:37

It's not a big deal is it really? Sometimes it's nice to do other people a favour.

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Wed 12-Dec-12 22:23:38

To work is that you are the boss of you. That poor guy was someone's bitch grin

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Wed 12-Dec-12 22:23:56

Yanbu. She had no idea what your planes were and how urgent they may have been. Blatant assumption making!!!!

Alisvolatpropiis Wed 12-Dec-12 22:24:13

YANBU. He was probably her boyfriend/brother/dad.

ENormaSnob Wed 12-Dec-12 22:24:37

Yanbu

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Wed 12-Dec-12 22:24:46

Stuffing balls you just had to post in the middle of my diatribe didn't you?! <<unreas

porridgewithalmondmilk Wed 12-Dec-12 22:25:00

to be honest I think it sounds fine - you had eaten and drunk and you weren't in a big rush to get anywhere smile sorry!

Nobodyelse Wed 12-Dec-12 22:25:14

YANBU. It reminds me of the time when the ticket conductor on a small rural line sold tickets to everyone on the train but pointedly ignored me as I had a baby on one knee and a 2yo on the other. Unfortunately for him he didn't realise that I was working 3 days a week advising the Department for Rail on financial matters... grin People make so many assumptions.

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Wed 12-Dec-12 22:25:34

<<unreasonable and now ex iPhone user >>

Stuffingballs Wed 12-Dec-12 22:25:46

Why can't people just be nice to each other sometimes.

Everyone is so bloody miserable on MN.

Nobodyelse Wed 12-Dec-12 22:25:47

Department for Transport, sorry

Startail Wed 12-Dec-12 22:26:28

YANBU

DMum never shops in the Co- op, because when she was a child, they always served adults first.

The Co- op was at the bottom of her road, so she got sent on errands from very small and years of being made to wait definitely rankled.

TwitchyTail Wed 12-Dec-12 22:27:31

She probably fancied him. Poor guy.

YANBU.

FergusSingsTheBlues Wed 12-Dec-12 22:27:47

Who cares? Really?!

apostrophethesnowman Wed 12-Dec-12 22:27:54

YANBU

It's not your problem he was going to work and presumably hadn't given himself enough time to get there. (Or he wouldn't have had to go in front of you).

You could have been in a hurry for all she knew.

Stuffingballs Wed 12-Dec-12 22:29:42

I can't understand how someone can write such a long post about such an insignificant incident.

NoKnidForABed Wed 12-Dec-12 22:29:51

To be honest, I'd be more pissed off with your OP for finishing off things late at night that he knew would be needed in the morning! But then I'm tired and grumpy right now.

NoKnidForABed Wed 12-Dec-12 22:30:30

Argh! Told you I was tired! I mean, I'd be more pissed off with your DP, not your OP. <goes to bed>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now