Talk

Advanced search

To think if you fulfil the terms of your contract you shouldn't have your pay docked?

(65 Posts)
SuffolkNWhat Wed 12-Dec-12 20:53:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

redexpat Wed 12-Dec-12 20:58:58

I'd give more info, repost in legal, and join a union if you're not already in one.

marriedandwreathedinholly Wed 12-Dec-12 21:01:59

And the backstory is?

SuffolkNWhat Wed 12-Dec-12 21:03:08

HollyBerryBush Wed 12-Dec-12 21:05:15

I'm rapidly losing sympathy with teachers.

In any other job, you would be expected to cover a collegue

Teaching needs a radical overhaul to bring them into the 21st century

squeakytoy Wed 12-Dec-12 21:08:32

If you are not performing your duties, you are not fulfilling the terms of your contract.

YABU.

ENormaSnob Wed 12-Dec-12 21:11:26

Can you explain a little further?

I don't understand the not covering colleagues aspect?

<not read the link either>

tethersjinglebellend Wed 12-Dec-12 21:12:14

Your duties as outlined in your contract, squeakytoy?

SuffolkNWhat Wed 12-Dec-12 21:12:28

ravenAK Wed 12-Dec-12 21:15:07

My HT leaked this to Union reps at lunchtime. His response to it was, as the Idiot Gove puts it, 'robust'. wink.

ViperInTheManger Wed 12-Dec-12 21:15:20

I am also losing sympathy with teachers. They seem to think they are the only people with any stress at all.

SuffolkNWhat Wed 12-Dec-12 21:15:20

cherrypieandicecream Wed 12-Dec-12 21:15:53

I'd love to try this one with my boss! If i tried working to only my contracted hours I wouldn't just get my pay docked, I'd get the sack! grin

My job is a profession, as I believe teaching to be and frankly in these kinds of jobs, the hours are a guide for the minimum, not the maximum and you know that when you go into it....you work for as long as it takes to get the job done and doing the job is what you are contracted to do, not the hours.

SuffolkNWhat Wed 12-Dec-12 21:15:55

HollyBerryBush Wed 12-Dec-12 21:16:43

Not in all schools.

PPA is 10% of TT - most have much more than that off.

So getting uptight about covering a collegue in an emergency, is IMHO irresponsible and if in an outside world workplace, deemed detrimental to the business.

Our school pays £2,000 an hour shock in lost pay for collegues not on a 90% TTwho moan about covering collegues - and its still no where near 90% of a full TT.

tethersjinglebellend Wed 12-Dec-12 21:17:13

"Mr Gove is now reportedly considering new anti-strike laws to challenge the right of teachers to take industrial action."

Ah. All of this is just to justify what he is clearly going to do anyway.

clam Wed 12-Dec-12 21:18:00

So, he's considering docking teachers' pay if they don't carry out 'extra' duties? Duties that they're not paid for doing in the first place?

Arse.

ravenAK Wed 12-Dec-12 21:19:48

It's fine to cover in an emergency - I know, I helped draft our cover policy.

Rarely Cover means teachers shouldn't be losing PPA time for routine, foreseeable absences.

Gove's looking to provoke. As per.

porridgewithalmondmilk Wed 12-Dec-12 21:20:02

Cherrypie - that would happen in teaching, too. Or at least, not 'the sack' but capability which is a career-ender. The unions won't help teachers then! More fool them for working to rule.

tethersjinglebellend Wed 12-Dec-12 21:20:52

I'm not sure how any of us are going to find the time to shirk our responsibilities- I mean, we all leave at half three as it is.

Donki Wed 12-Dec-12 21:22:08

Holly,
I don't know any teachers who get more than 10% PPA time, unless they are NQTs who have a right to a reduced timetable....

I'm sure there must be some teachers who to get more, but it is a tiny minority in my experience

SuffolkNWhat Wed 12-Dec-12 21:23:52

PumpkinPositive Wed 12-Dec-12 21:24:01

Surely working to rule is an effective mechanism for allowing people to protest against crap pay/conditions as opposed to going out on strike?

Lifeissweet Wed 12-Dec-12 21:25:55

For what it's worth, I don't know of any teachers who are planning to work to rule at my school. I understand why the unions want us to, but as people who work in a deprived area where the children have limited opportunities, we all feel uncomfortable doing anything that has a detrimental impact on our pupils. It's not fair - they have done nothing wrong.

Lose sympathy for us if you like, but I am getting increasingly upset at teacher bashing and accusations that all teachers feel hard done by and as if we work harder than everyone else. We don't. I don't anyway.

I do want some sympathy for the children of this country, however, as their education is being messed with and used as a political tool as usual. That's what is bothering me at the moment. I am getting really tired of being criticised from all angles got views I don't hold and actions I don't intent to take.

junowiththegladrags Wed 12-Dec-12 21:25:58

Yanbu. I hope you all stick to your guns and tell Gove you won't be blackmailed. Teaching has to be one of the most important and thankless jobs. You all need to protect the profession even more these days with gombeens like him in control.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now