Talk

Advanced search

to say that those of you who complain about custodial sentence lengths for sexual offenders should take part in this consultation

(29 Posts)
NormaStanleyFletcher Wed 12-Dec-12 10:09:54

The sentencing council has a consultation on sentences for sexual offences. The public (you and me) are able to give their views.

clicky

Thought some of you might be interested - given the outrage I have seen on here at (usually) how short some sentences for sexual offences are.

NormaStanleyFletcher Wed 12-Dec-12 10:43:25

Well don't complain then

<<talks to self>>

squeakytoy Wed 12-Dec-12 10:45:04

maybe you should ask for MNHQ to insert "custodial" into the header as I thought it was about grammar when I read it.. smile

OneOfMyTurnsComingOn Wed 12-Dec-12 10:45:52

So did I, Squeaky grin

EcoLady Wed 12-Dec-12 10:47:15

... and there was me ready for a rant about comma abuse...

NormaStanleyFletcher Wed 12-Dec-12 11:08:35

OK OK - my bad - I have reported to MNHQ and asked them to add "for sexual offences" in the title grin

HECTheHallsWithRowsAndFolly Wed 12-Dec-12 11:53:44

Is it open to everyone? It appears to be wanting responses from organisations and individuals with special interest only.

NormaStanleyFletcher Wed 12-Dec-12 13:25:00

They say that they hope the general public will respond on the page linked to above

OliviaPeaceOnMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 12-Dec-12 20:16:34

Sorry this is a serious thread but I am grin at folk thinking this is about grammar when it's about prison...
We have amended the thread title from "to say that those of you who complain about sentence lengths should take part in this consulation"
to "to say that those of you who complain about custodial sentence lengths for sexual offenders should take part in this consultation"

AnyaKnowIt Wed 12-Dec-12 20:19:50

I did start a thread about it and only 1 person replied sad

SirEdmundFrillary Wed 12-Dec-12 20:21:26

I think people who've been attacked are less interested in the sentences the people get than in other stuff, like being sure they're not going to have that happen again; like having people listen etc.

BarbarianMum Wed 12-Dec-12 20:25:04

Well I'm interested and will click. Thanks smile

DecktheHallswithTroughsofBolly Wed 12-Dec-12 20:27:07

Thanks for the link. I work in a witness/victim care unit supporting victims of crime through court and certainly I was unaware of it. I will try and get it circulated to all 5000 members of my police force tomorrow :D

NormaStanleyFletcher Wed 12-Dec-12 20:29:57

Yay - thank you Olivia smile

AnyaKnowIt Wed 12-Dec-12 21:04:02

bump

NormaStanleyFletcher Wed 12-Dec-12 21:55:35

cough

I'll be honest I couldn't care any more. It's not going to change anything. My rapist walked free yet there was witness statements, including one from his boyfriend saying he had done it and even bragged, there was evidence on me that he had done it. But no he walked free though even the police knew he did it.

Bestfriend** not boyfriend.

NormaStanleyFletcher Wed 12-Dec-12 22:01:53

So sorry SP sad

This covers much more than rape, (and I know that so many have a shit experience of the prosecution of that, or lack of it), it covers child photo offences etc. I just wanted the women here to have the oportunity to have input.

Sorry! Thought that's what you meant with sexual offences.

I was technically a child when it happened to me. (15)

I wanted someone to believe me more then anything. I never thought about how long he would go down for, it was about people believing it.

NormaStanleyFletcher Wed 12-Dec-12 23:24:52

I believe you.

Thank you are sorry as it seems I killed the thread

Thank you and sorry as it seems I killed the thread

NormaStanleyFletcher Wed 12-Dec-12 23:32:54

No worries mate.

I am getting very little interest here, but had hoped that as women and children make up the vast majority of victims of sexual crimes, MN would be a place interested, from that point of view.

I thought it would have been quite busy here tbh with this topic.

What do you think about it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now