Advanced search

to not let the council man in bedroom?

(50 Posts)
pregnantpause Tue 11-Dec-12 16:19:19


tomorrow I have a councilman coming to inspect my house, apparently we may be in the wrong band for council tax. I asked what he needs to see and he said that he'll need to 'have a look around inside the house and carry out a full inspection'shock

I own my house and well, its not a show home and my method of tidying is usually make sure all house is tidy, except for my bedroom where all the crap from the rest of the house is stuffed to give the appearance of a clean and tidy homewink wibu to refuse to allow him into my bedroom? he's welcome to fully inspect the rest of the joint? wwyd?

emsyj Tue 11-Dec-12 22:32:23

The trigger for the attempt to re-assess our house was the change of ownership - the previous owners had done a loft conversion and for some reason they couldn't re-assess then, but had to wait til there was a sale?? So OP the conclusion seems to be, don't let them in! grin

DoingitOnTheRoofTopWithSanta Tue 11-Dec-12 22:28:26

make a wall of junk in the room so he can't measure properly smile

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Tue 11-Dec-12 22:26:44

Don't let them in! You are under no obligation to. You don't even have to allow them in the back garden. Just shut your blinds and go out. They will the. Do their Ssessment from the street.

OwlBabies Tue 11-Dec-12 22:10:13

Sadly, councils can re-band your property while you're living there. It happened to us in our last place - it had been extended (by previous owner) since the original banding decision, and we had an inspector come round to count and measure rooms. Went up a band, and we had to start paying the higher rate immediately. But back to the original question - the state of the rooms is neither here nor there, all they are interested in is the amount of space you have.

emsyj Tue 11-Dec-12 21:32:16

Aren't there very limited circumstances in which they can re-assess your council tax band...?

We got a letter for reassessment when we bought our house and declined the visit as we were getting married and would be on honeymoon on the suggested date - then the next date we were abroad at another wedding. They gave up after that, and happily we are still in the low band! grin

I would tell them that date doesn't suit, and keep putting them off. And check whether they are entitled to reassess you too.

lovelyladuree Tue 11-Dec-12 21:13:59

I really worry for the next generation, seriously.

peaceandlovebunny Tue 11-Dec-12 20:23:07

don't let him in at all. those assessments are done from outside, often from an office with people drawing lines on maps.

QODRestYeMerryGentlemen Tue 11-Dec-12 18:50:14

When we moved in, I filled out the questionnaire thingy we all got, ummmmm census? Can't recall and dithered aut putting 3 or 4 bedrooms as we have 3 upstairs and 1 down (4th bed/study/second lounge)
Buggerity damn it they didn't know the 3rd bedroom upstairs existed so told us we may get rebanded one day. won't be admitting to the en suite we've added to large main bedroom since then either

teenagersmother Tue 11-Dec-12 18:46:07

Quite a few years ago we challenged the council tax band we were in and the valuations guy came and looked at the house. Yes, he did look in every room but very briefly and it was worth it as we were downgraded which meant a saving on what we were paying.

pregnantpause Tue 11-Dec-12 18:41:10

oh no mrskeith, I was clinging to the hope that they can't change my band. why would anyone use others properties as evidence that theirs needs lowering? surely its obvious how that scenario will end! selfish grumps!

IneedAsockamnesty Tue 11-Dec-12 18:40:17

They don't normally go inside the house.

GlaikitFizzogTheChristmasElf Tue 11-Dec-12 18:36:41

I didn't think they could raise the banding while you still live there, but when you move the next occupants would go up a band.

When we bought the house we are I. Now all the paperwork said we were ct band B, then when they sent us all the bills and stuff when we moved in we have been re-evaluated at band D! shock the extension the précis owners had put on raised out banding!

MrsKeithRichards Tue 11-Dec-12 18:29:41

We got upgrade thanks to someone round the corner challenging their band.

Apparently the bit at the back of my living room where I can fit a bookcase and a table and chairs is big enough to be classed as another room.

suburbophobe Tue 11-Dec-12 17:04:19

So the letter wasn't on headed paper? There is no way I would be letting this person into my house.


jumpingjackhash Tue 11-Dec-12 17:02:55

The cinema sounds much more agreeable than a council valuations officer 'inspection'!

pregnantpause Tue 11-Dec-12 16:57:26

spoke to council and benefits office, who said it would be valuations office and gave me the number- the same 03000 number I'be called. so it is legit.

I'm now considering not being here though (too cowardly to refuse entry direct) if I don't have to let him in, I could take dc to cinema insteadgrin

Justforlaughs Tue 11-Dec-12 16:50:47

Keep us updated!

jumpingjackhash Tue 11-Dec-12 16:50:33

This sounds so dodgy, there's no way I'd be letting them in! Even if it was legit, I'd be in two minds whether to let someone from the council snoop around my house for tax purposes.

quoteunquote Tue 11-Dec-12 16:48:03

Please phone the council on their number, not the number on the letter, this sounds like a scam,

the council already know the size of your house, the planning department have your local area covered.

caramelwaffle Tue 11-Dec-12 16:45:31

Sounds like a scam to a premium number then they'll also chase you up to burgle your house.

Hobbitation Tue 11-Dec-12 16:45:06

We had one of those letters from a company. Discussed it with DH then it went in the recycling.

wearingpurple Tue 11-Dec-12 16:44:34

We got one of these a couple of weeks ago. It's a bunch of scammers offering to challenge your banding in court for you if you give them a heap of money.

exexpat Tue 11-Dec-12 16:44:03

Ah - x-posted. Sounds v dodgy.

Maybe it's a good thing you were worried enough about the mess to check on MN.

xkcdfangirl Tue 11-Dec-12 16:43:47

Sounds like a dodgy scam to me. Don't let him in.

ZhenThereWereTwo Tue 11-Dec-12 16:43:40

Doesn't sound right to me, all council letters I have received and those I sent out when I used to work for one always were on headed paper.

If he is council staff and you have his name and department you should be able to call their switchboard and be put through to him/someone else who can verify he is who he says he is.

He should also show you a council pass with his name and photograph on it before entry.

Seeing as you own your house and as you say: "he says that my house has been used as an example for why another property should have a lower band- so he's coming to see if they can raise mine presumably" I would refuse them entry anyway, if it doesn't help you why let them in?

You are not obliged to by law as you are not a council tenant and it is not an emergency situation affecting the public or council property.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now