Talk

Advanced search

To expect someone to tell me they have changed my shifts?

(5 Posts)
LoisLame Tue 11-Dec-12 09:44:17

Haven't been at work since last Tuesday (5th I think) and last checked my rota then. Yesterday morning I get a text from someone needing urgent cover, so arrange care for DD and go in from 12-6 pm. At about 4.20, I get a phone call saying that I'm on the rota from 4-10 pm at a different site so I apologise saying that I didn't know why I had been put down for that shift but I'm unable to do it. I go and check my rota and I've also been put down for two similar late shifts next week, so I leave a note for the relevant person saying that I cannot do those shifts either, with reasons being I'm 30 weeks pregnant with gestational diabetes and don't want to work that far from home, that late at night, in a dodgy area relying on public transport to get home - reasonable enough I though. Now I've just had a phonecall from an angry manager telling me I should be calling them to check my rota, and that she will complain to the area manager that I'm refusing to work after 6pm unless I'm near to home. I bit my tongue and resisted the urge to tell her that this wouldn't be an issue if she had checked with me before putting me on shifts which are surplus to my contract hours, and not at my base site.

I feel better for having a rant about it, but would still like to know, AIBU about any of this?

sausagesandwich34 Tue 11-Dec-12 09:45:53

no you aren't

the manager is being an arse

starfishmummy Tue 11-Dec-12 09:57:47

No YANBU

(I have just rung in sick as per management instructions - ie before 8.30 and to speak to a manager; there are never any bl@@#y managers there before 8.30!!)

NothingIsAsBadAsItSeems Tue 11-Dec-12 11:13:27

If your shifts have already been put it the rota your manager is not allowed to alter them without consulting you - at least that is how it's always worked where I work. Oh, and you have the right to refuse the extra shifts if you wish to

LoisLame Tue 11-Dec-12 12:38:04

Just had a message on my phone which is as close as I expect to get to an apology. I guess whoever she complained to agreed with me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now