Talk

Advanced search

To be fuming at my DM?

(22 Posts)
IceNoSlice Mon 10-Dec-12 20:46:40

Because she starts every bloody conversation with 'So how is DGS sleeping? Is he sleeping through yet?'

No DM, he is not sleeping through. He still wakes 4 or 5 times a night (as he did when you asked this bloody question yesterday). And no, it isn't necessarily because I am BF him!!

Oh, and when I said 'I don't want to talk about it.' I MEANT IT!!

toofattorun Mon 10-Dec-12 20:48:35

wine

HECTheHallsWithRowsAndFolly Mon 10-Dec-12 20:49:53

I suppose you could begin to amuse yourself.

No, he's still waking up at 4 for his first fag of the day

yes, but I think that's because the burger and fries we liquidised for him last night has given him gas

I don't know, I drank 6 bottles of gin and passed out

I wonder if you start giving totally ridiculous answers, she'll give up grin

TheSkiingGardener Mon 10-Dec-12 20:51:11

Has she got anything you can come back with? Tendency to indigestion or anything? "So DM, have you sorted your <personal problem> out yet, do you think it's because of your poor diet? I really think you ought to do Something"

Repeat until the urge to club her with a halibut subsides.

IceNoSlice Mon 10-Dec-12 20:53:17

grin at HECT

MammaTJ Mon 10-Dec-12 20:57:19

Shame you can't have wine due to BF. That is the only disadvantage I see though!! <said as someone who failed to BF.

Ignore, ignore, then ignore some more!!!

MikeOxard Mon 10-Dec-12 20:59:08

Aw that is annoying. Maybe just say yes; 'Yep, can't wake the bugger up if we try Mum, thanks for asking. Next topic please'!

WitchOfEndor Mon 10-Dec-12 20:59:30

I ended up lying, just like I did about how much housework I had done, or the last time I did any gardening. It works as long as she lives far away and visits every few months!

tiredteddy Mon 10-Dec-12 20:59:59

My MIL calls late In The evening between say 9.30/11pm. Every time she asks what the boys are doing. DH and I have long since got bod of explaining that they are obviously in bed asleep (8&5) at this time of night. We now reply to amuse ourselves e.g gone to the pub, playing out in the road, park I the dark, popped to the shops etc

tiredteddy Mon 10-Dec-12 21:01:29

BORED not bod

IceNoSlice Mon 10-Dec-12 21:03:37

I know she is essentially well meaning and just wants to know we're ok. It's just bloody annoying! Thanks for letting me rant though. And giving me a mental image of slapping her with a halibut.

squeakytoy Mon 10-Dec-12 21:07:11

say "yes mum, he is, would you like to have him for the night now"....

wink

lola88 Mon 10-Dec-12 21:07:56

If it makes you feel better mine doesn't sleep because he's not BF according to certain people grr

PurplePidjChickIsNotTheMessiah Mon 10-Dec-12 21:34:17

"Of course he is! His first novel's at the proofing stage, and Simon Cowell signed him for the 2013 Christmas number 1, too. Now we just need to decide whether he signs with Chelsea or Man U"

katiecubs Mon 10-Dec-12 21:36:17

YAB a bit U.

It's just something people ask about young babies isn't it - not like they do that much else at that stage!

Beamur Mon 10-Dec-12 21:38:32

Does she repeat any other questions or just this one?
My Mum does this (or similar) all the time, but she genuinely has short term memory problems.

apostrophethesnowman Mon 10-Dec-12 21:43:25

She's probably just making conversation.

Chestnutx3 Mon 10-Dec-12 21:47:17

Just lie, say yes he is. he is also feeding every 4 hours on the dot etc... the poor old dears, the babies didn't sleep through in their day but they just drank their gin and tonics downstairs and put the telly up a bit! Yelling was clearing their lungs or something else very insightful.
Oh yes put his wonderful sleeping down to putting him out in the garden to sleep every 4 hours or whatever he should be doing, even though its -4. You really can't here the screaming when you are indoors having a cup of tea and listening to radio 4...

Brycie Mon 10-Dec-12 21:50:00

Lie grin Yes he is. End of conversation.

Until

Is he on solids yet?
Is he crawling yet?
Is he walking yet?

Just lie for as long as you can get away with it.

Brycie Mon 10-Dec-12 21:52:06

Chestnuts x post: it wasn't until I had my second that I realised most people lie. ESPECIALLY people who have a baby about three to six months older than yours and therefore Know Everything.

IceNoSlice Tue 11-Dec-12 02:41:01

Some great come backs here, thanks! She is a very kind DM really (yes we did go to stately homes but not in that kind of way) and to some extent she's just making conversation. However she is getting on (we live quite a distance apart and every time I see her it shocks me a little how OLD she is). She forgets doesn't listen as well.

Brycie you're absolutely right, I hadn't thought of that, it soooo will be 'is he crawling/walking/talking/taking Alevels yet'. I'll have to drop in some strategic lies!

handsandknees Tue 11-Dec-12 03:25:01

Sorry OP, I don't think lying will work. Then you'll get "Why are you so tired/yawning all the time now that he's sleeping through?"

DH's Gran used to take me aside every time we saw her after DD was about 4 weeks old and whisper "Is she off the breast yet?" (with "breast" mouthed not spoken)

I found that overdoing the negative comments usually shut people up, so "No, he's waking all the time, honestly I don't think any baby every slept as badly as this one. It's a good thing I love him so much and don't mind responding to him."

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now