Talk

Advanced search

to be fuming over this NHS job?

(14 Posts)
thenightsky Sun 09-Dec-12 00:36:31

we coalface NHs workers face a review - they (managment) want/need to save money so they are looking at paying us less plus making a load of us redundant etc.

then yesterday I see on NHS jobs that they are recruiting a 'manager' to drive this review at a salary of 45k.

Fuck. I only earn a quarter of that, so how can making me redundant, yet paying a 45k manager to do it work?

<genuinely puzzled>

WorraLorraTurkey Sun 09-Dec-12 00:39:01

Well mathematically it adds up I'm afraid because it's not just you they'll be making redundant is it?

thenightsky Sun 09-Dec-12 00:41:37

true, but this 45k manager aint gonna be interacting with patients.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 09-Dec-12 00:42:04

Fellow NHS worker here too.

Maybe the 'manager' will be a temp contract (possibly agency) to come in for a short term contract, do the job in hand then leave.

I just think they are going to lose staff through long-term sick leave or people getting so fed up they leave.

How many people in your sector are getting near retirement and thinking "Sod This" and leaving, some even early.
Taking their experience with them and leaving a frozen post.

It does not look good sad angry confused and sometimes feeling thoroughly stamped on.

holidaysarenice Sun 09-Dec-12 04:29:40

did you not hear the NHS decree,

sack all frontline staff,
replace with managers!!

Thumbwitch Sun 09-Dec-12 04:35:49

Possibly (and hopefully!) the management position will be a temporary/short term contract position - once the review is done, so is the job. Does that make you feel any better?
No, probably not (ex coalface NHS worker here too).

FadBook Sun 09-Dec-12 06:00:16

If they handled the project incorrectly, one unfair dismissal tribunal (ie unfair selection for redundancy) could cost up to £72,300. A discrimination case (age, sex, disability, religion etc) is uncapped. Breach of contract is £25k.

I know it's difficult to see this advert but unfortunately we now have a legal system which means that if we don't do things right, employees can be compensated - the risk is high, so £45k manager experienced in downsizing and saving £000's will probably be worth the money.

lyndie Sun 09-Dec-12 06:47:33

I know it's popular to say 'get rid of managers' in the NHS but it's far more of a business now than health workers can cope with. Massive hospitals do need some experienced business managers to deal with the complexities of the modern NHS, years ago if you needed a new piece of equipment or a building a senior doctor or nurse could arrange it, now it's all competitive tenders etc I don't know many frontline staff who have the business acumen or experience to deal with that.

I'm sorry about the possibility of redundancies, it must be unsettling. As others have said it is probably a temporary role and the cost will be offset by the cost of the savings.

MrsMangoBiscuit Sun 09-Dec-12 07:08:11

We went through this a year ago. Enough people took voluntary redundancy, or moved into positions elsewhere in the trust that they didn't make any forced redundancies at all. It left such a bad taste in peoples mouths that lots more staff have moved since the new structure came in. Now they're trying to recruit again because they don't have enough staff, and as they lost all of that experience it's had a knock on effect on the service and the complaints are rolling in. Very glad I changed roles while we were under review.

Our review was outsourced, so we had very little direct contact with the team. Hopefully you will have better communication with a team or manager that's being brought in, so you can get an end structure that actually works. And hopefully there won't be any actual redundancies made where you are.

I feel your pain though. During our review the bonuses for board of directors from the previous year were published. Six directors, and the bonus for one of them would have kept 4-5 of us employed for a year! Greedy bastards. sad

SleighbellsRingInYourLife Sun 09-Dec-12 07:21:27

"unfortunately we now have a legal system which means that if we don't do things right, employees can be compensated"

shock

Yes, how awful that people you contract to work for you have rights if you break their contract illegally.

Bring back serfdom!

HollyBerryBush Sun 09-Dec-12 07:25:19

Its not just NHS; teachers are going through the same thing as well; those schools who have already turned academy are very vulnerable, at the whim of the Head they can now be got rid of (I hesitate to use sacked) for the smallest of reasons and replaced with NQTS. Massive savings on budget.

FadBook Sun 09-Dec-12 11:41:43

sleighbells I wasn't being funny, and I didn't get my point across very well earlier (it was early blush)

What I meant was it is now a complicated legal system in that there is more red tape which makes it harder for employers to do what they need to do to survive (i.e letting someone go to save money still involves several consultations, meetings, paperwork, notice periods, redundancy packages etc). When there are more than 20 redundancies envisaged, there must to be a 90 day consultation (sometimes making an already hard process even more drawn out and negative on morale).

In a Country where Unions and 'no win no fee' solicitors encourage employees to go to a tribunal "to see what you can get out of them" [the employer], employers have to make sure crossed t's and dotted i's and bigger organisations then go 'above and beyond' the legal minimum to try to please everyone (when sometimes it makes more sense to stick to basic employment law). Even when doing everything right, there is still a risk an ET form turning up on your desk (it is so easy to complete a form on line without a solicitor) which automatically costs money to respond (time, potential solicitor depending on experience of HR) regardless of whether you've done things right or not.

I was merely answering the OP in that a £45k salary will be someone who has experience and qualification in HR and organisational change and employment law, and will review all possible options to save money to reduce the number of redundancies (ultimately those on the front line).

DontmindifIdo Sun 09-Dec-12 11:51:47

Fadbook slightly worded it wrong, but is right, it's worth paying for the expertise of someone rather than having to pay out compensation/legal fees if you just let normal managers make the decisions and potentially get it very, very wrong.

It'll be a temp contract, and they will need highly qualified people. The NHS will have solicitors circling over those who are made redundant to try to get them more money, it's so high profile. They have to get it right.

If you get rid of managers, their work will still need doing, so you will take front line staff off the front line to do it. Even if it's just for part of their day. It's the way the NHS is structured, and individual health trusts do'nt have the power to change that.

scottishmummy Sun 09-Dec-12 12:14:46

sorry for your troubles, really stressful for you
it must feel galling when you feel unsure about own role
arguably the process does need a skilled manager to oversee

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: