Talk

Advanced search

To not get my husband some long johns?

(18 Posts)
BaresarkBunny Sat 08-Dec-12 09:35:08

We have a Christmas function tonight which is being held in a marque and I have an awful thought that it's going to be freezing.

Dh has asked me to go into town to buy him long johns and a vest but he is wearing his mess dress which consists of thick trousers, shirt, waist coat and jacket. I have to wear a dress and a pashmina. We can't wear coats to sit down and eat.

AIBU to think that I'm going to have it worse and if I'm going to be cold he can bloody well join me in the experience? grin

44SoStartingOver Sat 08-Dec-12 09:36:51

Damn right.

I think a lean mean fighting machine should cope.

However, I think you sho,d buy some thermal leggings for under your dress.

Tell him that if he wants to wear long johns then that's all.he's wearing grin

reastie Sat 08-Dec-12 09:38:41

YABU (and slightly mean) to think just as you are going to get cold he should too. Maybe you should get some thick tights if you're wearing a long dress to keep warm, or else have a jacket/smart cardi rather than a pashmina to keep you warm.

IME it may start off cold but with loads of people stuck in there it will soon warm up if it doesn't you'll just have to tuck into lots of warm mulled wine and dance the night away

CMOTDibbler Sat 08-Dec-12 09:39:08

I'd get him the long johns, but get myself a faux fur capelet/bolero/shrug, and if you are wearing a long dress, some 3/4 length thermal leggings

NotQuiteCockney Sat 08-Dec-12 09:51:48

Uniqlo do tights with their special keep-warm magical stuff in them. They do help, ime.

SirBoobAlot Sat 08-Dec-12 09:54:32

Get some for him, but also get some things for you. Thermals and / or thick tights, and a spaghetti strap thermal vest if you're wearing a dress with straps.

BaresarkBunny Sat 08-Dec-12 09:55:59

Ok I may be being a tiny bit mean but I don't want to suffer by myself. <--- selfish I know.

I'm thinking if wearing my shrug and a pashmina. I was going to be wearing a 3/4 length dress but luckily I got a long one dry cleaned too so may wear that with some thermals.

I think lots of alcohol will be the key thing.

AppleOgies Sat 08-Dec-12 09:57:03

If he wants long johns he can get them... But in mess dress I reckon he'll be roasting! Will they fit under his mess dress? My dad and my brother's mess dress is rather snug.

MsElleTow Sat 08-Dec-12 10:00:25

DH has got long johns that he wears under his greens, I thought they had been issued! He, also, has some fetching grey and pale blue ones!

DS1 is working in a garden centre, today he is outside selling Christmas trees. He has DH's long johns on under his trousers!

You are being a tad mean, but I can totally understand why you are being!

SirBoobAlot Sat 08-Dec-12 10:00:53

Lots of booze, and slippers in your bag to change in to when everyone is too drunk to notice grin

Not mean, completely understand where you're coming from, but really can you deal with the moaning all night about being cold?

Mrsjay Sat 08-Dec-12 10:02:33

MY dh works out doors sometimes well alot and wears thermals sexy they are not but it is cold out
get yourself some bloomers and a nice vest with a bow on and you and he could match grin

BaresarkBunny Sat 08-Dec-12 10:07:51

SirBoob that is a really good point he is guaranteed to winge which is not conductive to a good night out. Also I hadnt thought of the vest which will also be good for holding my stomach in grin .

I think he has got a pair that he was issued with so I will hunt for them first.

There's been lots of goog ideas on here. Thank you all.

Ponyinthepool Sat 08-Dec-12 10:10:44

How big is the marquee, how many people are going? I've been to a few parties in marquees and don't ever remember being cold - no one in their right mind would organise a party in a marquee in December without adequate heating. Don't buy the long johns, you'll only end up with them stuffed in your handbag all night.

ilikefestivitea Sat 08-Dec-12 10:23:22

Definitely buy some. Otherwise he may knick your wooly tights for under his trousers and stretch them out of shape.

(or is that just my weirdo DH?)

lljkk Sat 08-Dec-12 10:25:39

Real Builders wear tights. wink

Why can't OP double up her tights & accommodate her DH, too?

BaresarkBunny Sat 08-Dec-12 10:37:19

There is about 200 hundred people and there are two patio heaters and a blow heater. Dh was setting up yesterday and he said it was freezing. We probably won't be near the heaters as we won't be important enough grin.

Dh has said if he gets to hot he will take them off in the mess rest room which may not be as easy as he thinks after a drink.

BaresarkBunny Sat 08-Dec-12 10:41:05

With tights I originally thought that they wouldn't fit. He's really fit and slender and I'm, to put it bluntly, not. I didn't think of the stretchness though. I''ll put that idea to him as they may not get too hot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now