Talk

Advanced search

MP's allowed to claim £160 on groceries a week when DLA is only £77 per week!

(100 Posts)
wantstosleepnow Fri 07-Dec-12 08:48:06

I think that says it all really. I've always said if MP's were on NMW or similar then things would change very quick in this country.

noddyholder Fri 07-Dec-12 08:49:20

Disgrace

threesocksfullofchocs Fri 07-Dec-12 08:50:10

why are you suprised?

noddyholder Fri 07-Dec-12 08:52:28

No surprise here.

FivesGoldNorks Fri 07-Dec-12 08:53:36

Coming on this thread with an open mind, willing to be convinced they need it.
I can't imagine how...

manicinsomniac Fri 07-Dec-12 08:53:50

meh, I couldn't get worked up about that.

My sister can claim all her expenses including groveries and even meals and alcohol in restaurants adn she works for a private company, not a govt one. It must save her an absolute fortune.

But it's just having a jammy job, no point complaining or comparing it to benefit levels. Some people earn more than others and expenses are a part of that.

mrskeithrichards Fri 07-Dec-12 08:54:17

That's a ridiculous amount to get given considering they get a wage too.

wantstosleepnow Fri 07-Dec-12 08:54:48

I had no idea they were allowed to claim on groceries at all. I imagined their wages would cover that.

By giving that allowance for groceries alone is like admitting that DLA is unliveable.

FivesGoldNorks Fri 07-Dec-12 08:55:13

difference is that private company are doing that for her.
The MPs get paid through our taxes, and the money spent on them is (simplistically I know) money that is being squeezed through cuts.
And I have to say that's quite unusual. Is she separated from her family?

FivesGoldNorks Fri 07-Dec-12 08:56:12

"wantstosleepnow Fri 07-Dec-12 08:54:48
I had no idea they were allowed to claim on groceries at all. I imagined their wages would cover that. "

You mean like the rest of us? Wage is the money we get to live, buy food and fuel etc.
Actually, I wonder how often they pay to fill up their own vehicles

5madthings Fri 07-Dec-12 08:56:28

That is fuckinh outragrous!! Thats what their wages are to pay for!

noddyholder Fri 07-Dec-12 08:56:58

But why do they need it paid at all. That is what wages are for

wantstosleepnow Fri 07-Dec-12 08:58:00

I agree manicinsomniac.

But it's not just a jammy job. These people stand up in the Houses of Parliament a d argue for a below inflation benefit rise, essentially a benefit cut.

It's not right.

manicinsomniac Fri 07-Dec-12 08:59:46

They don't need it paying, it's a perk. Some jobs have them, some don't. I get housing with my job. I'm bloody lucky. I don't need it but it makes the job a whole lot more attractive!

Also, I may be getting confused but I thought DLA was an in work benefit and so would not be the person's sole income? I'm not very sure on which benefits are which but I'm sure lots of posters have said that in the past?

twinklesparkles Fri 07-Dec-12 08:59:50

Makes me sick, I don't even get full weekly benefit. Dh gets his and a "top up" for me and my son ... We survive on 1 persons jsa sad

Bet they've got some nice items on their shopping list......
Bet they've got no trouble affording basics sad

And before anyone says anything, yes I can cook from scratch ect, don't have any fancy tv/game consoles and yes dh is desperatly searching for work

mrskeithrichards Fri 07-Dec-12 09:00:47

Is that just for themselves? Sickening amount to spend on food.

mrskeithrichards Fri 07-Dec-12 09:03:20

It can be an in work benefit, it can also be an out of work benefit.

People make the point of it being an in work benefit because it's assumed so often that it's solely an out of work review.

manicinsomniac Fri 07-Dec-12 09:04:11

It might include meals out?

wantstosleepnow - I agree politicians have some dodgy opinions that don't fit with their own lifestyles -but when has that ever not been the case?! Goes with the territory.

manicinsomniac Fri 07-Dec-12 09:04:39

thanks mrskeithrichards

germyrabbit Fri 07-Dec-12 09:06:15

how can that be justified?

QueenofNightmares Fri 07-Dec-12 09:10:37

There won't be nothing but value in their shopping trolley then. At least someone can afford a xmas dinner and won't be having to send their child to their MIL's so they can have a fucking decent one angry

BoFo Fri 07-Dec-12 09:14:30

It's not a jammy job, these people are public servants and responsible for getting a shit deal for the rest of us.
I hate the idea of people struggling on DLA while they individually claim enough to feed a whole family angry

BonVoyageCharlieBrown Fri 07-Dec-12 09:48:12

I am so outraged by this. Fucking hell! This is what is wrong with this bloody country.

George Osbourne spouting off shit about the feckless poor ruining this country, cutting everything for poor and middle income families.

Bet they don't have to search the house for a bit of change to buy a pint of milk. £160 per week is a huge amount for groceries. Is that just for them or their families too? Why aren't the paying with their wages like the rest of us?

Unbelievable!!!

Cozy9 Fri 07-Dec-12 10:13:07

If they got paid £160 a week instead would it make any difference? They are MPs, they do an important job, and there are 650 of them, compared to over 3.2 million on DLA.

If you took the MPs grocery allowance and divided it among the people on DLA, they'd each get an extra 3p each.

Cozy9 Fri 07-Dec-12 10:14:06

An extra £160 a week, that should be.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now