Talk

Advanced search

Or is my friend?

(14 Posts)
Dramajustfollowsme Wed 05-Dec-12 18:27:45

Dd has a fungal nail infection. She is only 19 months and as neither dh or I have ever had one, we werent sure if it was or how she picked it up. My friend is convinced it is because occasionally I have given her a bath before bedtime. Most of the time she gets bath, bottle bed but sometimes we skip the bath bit as she is shattered after a long day.
I'm quite pissed off that she had said dd is unhygienic and that her DS won't be playing with her from now on.
The doctor said they wouldn't even treat it and didn't seem to think it was a big issue.
My friend, however, says dd shouldn't be going to nursery or swimming until it is cleared. At nursery, I've told them she isn't to go barefoot and dd won't share towels with anyone at swimming. Am I taking enough precautions or am I the unfit mother that she is accusing me of being.

twinklesparkles Wed 05-Dec-12 18:31:50

Hahah yanbu your friend sounds a bit thick tbh

She can't be that much of a friend if she's fallen out with you over this, some people are just silly

If anything swimming will make your dds toe better, the chlorine ect in the water will help

Just make sure her feet are always completely dry when she comes out before she puts her socks back on smile

XxxX

MaybeAMayBaby Wed 05-Dec-12 18:32:07

I've been told by a podiatrist that it's not contagious! Your friend is an absolute tool. Of course it's not caught by not bathing every day. What tosh! It's usually caught by wearing trainers without socks. Does your DD do this? Or shoes?
Not surprised they won't treat her. I've had one for about 6 years now, an the GP and other docs are very reluctant to treat it (I'm diabetic so think its more linked to that). Apparently Vicks rubbed in and then filed (so its soft) helps. Im pregnant and have been doing this and it does look better.

quesadilla Wed 05-Dec-12 18:32:44

YANBU and your friend sounds hysterical, nasty and stupid. The frequency of baths has nothing whatsoever to do with whether or not you pick up fungal infections. And to say that her DS won't play with your child because of a fungal infection is beyond petty....

Get some new friends!

EverlongLovesHerChristmasRobin Wed 05-Dec-12 18:34:31

So friend is saying it's because dd doesn't have a bath every night?

Dramajustfollowsme Wed 05-Dec-12 18:35:47

Thanks, I was a bit hmm but she got quite anxious about it and so I started doubting myself.
She wears slippers after her bath without socks. I wonder if that is how she got it.
Tbh, my friend can be ott with her pfb!

My brother has had a fungal nail infection since around your DDs age. I never caught it and I lived with him!

As for baths, I bath my DCs twice a week. I top and tail DD2 everyday. But honestly, a bath everyday isnt necessary and can dry out the skin.

Dont listen to your friend. Shes hysterical and nasty.

DeWe Wed 05-Dec-12 18:48:21

Tbh fungal infections are contageous. (like ringworm etc.) Including ones of the nails. It is caught by picking up the fungal spores from someonesomething else and that does include walking round barefoot.
Bath will not pick it up (unless sharing a bath with someone who has it) wearing trainers without socks will not pick it up (unless someone else did the same with a nail infection)

But the nail infections are very hard to get rid of, the only reliable one is a fairly potent medicine which is not recommended for under 16s, so is she suggesting your dc is kept inside for the next 16 years?

The nail ones aren't very contageous though as far as I know.

Gintonic Wed 05-Dec-12 18:48:48

Ask your friend if she has ever had thrush, and when she says yes (as surely she will) tell her she needs to wash her bits more often grin

ENormaSnob Wed 05-Dec-12 18:50:50

Your friend is thick.

baublesandbaileys Wed 05-Dec-12 18:56:37

she sounds like a tool! I think I know her! grin sounds like one of the mums mine used to go to nursery with! according to her, her DS caught chicken pox from my DS's excema once! confused LOL!

HECTheHallsWithRowsAndFolly Wed 05-Dec-12 19:06:17

HAHAHA! unhygienic indeed.

Wait until her son gets nits and worms! grin

bradyismyfavouritewiseman Wed 05-Dec-12 19:12:46

My friend is convinced it is because occasionally I have given her a bath before bedtime.

Your friend thinks you get fungal nail infections from having a bath before bed?

Dramajustfollowsme Wed 05-Dec-12 19:26:51

Gintonic grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now