Advanced search

... to ask them to catch a train?

(35 Posts)
FlaminNoraImPregnantPanda Wed 05-Dec-12 16:11:43

My ILs are flying out for the weekend on Friday. Normally I pick them up from the airport (2 hour drive away in good conditions) but the weather is currently terrible. I know you have a bit of snow in the UK at the moment, but it's been full on blizzard here for 3 days now. It's -15C and the snow is up to my chest in places. The snow ploughs are out constantly so there's only about 6 inches on the roads at any one time and I do have studded winter tyres. But visibility is bad, I can't see the house opposite clearly and the route is fairly remote (through forest and countryside with little civilisation along the way). Plus I'm pregnant and a bit more fragile and nervous than usual.

On the other hand, it's full on blizzard and -15C out and my ILs are pensioners and they'd have to make 3 changes to get here. The thought of them waiting on an exposed station platform in these conditions gives me nightmares.

But on the third hand, once they see what conditions are like they will be furious at me for risking future grandson putting myself at risk (at the same time as being eternally grateful for not having to make their own way in it).

What to do for the best?

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Sat 08-Dec-12 18:27:55

Good ending to a thread! Glad it was all sorted and that the trip was manageable, Flaminetc.

FlaminNoraImPregnantPanda Sat 08-Dec-12 17:50:09

Sorry, I forgot to update. The storm stopped late on Thursday afternoon and the sun has been out ever since. Took me 2 hours to dig the car out (husband went to meeting on Thursday morning as it was an overnighter). There are mountains and mountains of snow everywhere, but thankfully the roads were completely clear. In other words, I was stressing unnecessarily.

ChippingInAWinterWonderland Sat 08-Dec-12 16:46:43

OP - we need an update smile

Cahoootz Wed 05-Dec-12 19:24:29


Thread reading are in Sweden blush

Ignore my post people usually do!


Cahoootz Wed 05-Dec-12 19:23:05

£600 for a 2 hour taxi ride???? Is it a rolls Royce? grin. Are you sure you can't find a cheaper company? I would have thought it should be about £150-£200. I could be out of touch
Could they get a taxi or train some of the way and then you don't have such a long journey? Maybe you could pick the at the point where they would change trains for the second time?

Did you use the Hackney Cab Fare calculater?

(sorry, I have asked lots of questions smile

honeytea Wed 05-Dec-12 19:04:21

I think you should ask your neighbour to drive in front of you all the way to the airport, the swedes never say no to anything wink

I hope your DP gets home soon! If he is stuck in Stockholm he can come for fika with us!

Ohhelpohnoitsa Wed 05-Dec-12 18:56:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

XiaoxiongMerrilyOnHigh Wed 05-Dec-12 18:53:38

FlaminNora in normal circs it sounds quite fun and exciting, but how far along are you? I was due Dec 3rd last year and I remember having a sweep and chatting to the midwife about how the emergency services couldn't get to one woman in my area because of snow and they had to talk her DH through until a midwife and paramedic could get to them. (Luckily my DS was 2 weeks late so it was all melted by then.) And this was in Berkshire so not exactly the tundra.

I suppose Swedes are hardier folk and your neighbour could always take you to hospital in the JCB, although I'm not sure I'd fancy it in labour myself grin

Ohhelpohnoitsa Wed 05-Dec-12 18:53:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ohhelpohnoitsa Wed 05-Dec-12 18:52:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

blackeyedsusan Wed 05-Dec-12 18:49:33

envy i want a jcb and snow to clear

Inertia Wed 05-Dec-12 18:49:12

If it's that bad then they probably shouldn't travel, tbh.

If they do travel, getting DH to collect them from the airport after his meeting is best. That way they are warm , dry and safe, rather than possibly stuck at some more exposed / isolated railway station.

ChippingInLovesAutumn Wed 05-Dec-12 18:44:12

Oh, it sounds lovely from here. I hope your DH gets home safely & soon.

FlaminNoraImPregnantPanda Wed 05-Dec-12 18:36:01

Haha, on a lighter note, and in typical Swedish style, I've just seen the guy at the end of our road. He's come home from work in his massive JCB earth mover instead of his car and is now happily driving up and down the road clearing the foot and half deep snow.

cumfy Wed 05-Dec-12 18:30:40


FlaminNoraImPregnantPanda Wed 05-Dec-12 18:24:47

Flippin heck, it's getting worse and worse. The electric has just come back on (went off just after last posting), all the local schools will be closed tomorrow (which my neighbour says will be only the second time that's happened in his 60 something years), and the train company website is down so I've no idea what's happening with those. I hope my husband gets home safely.

The airport is still open and they are due to arrive Friday morning, the weather forecast now says this will continue until tomorrow evening. If that's correct, everything will be up and running again by the time they arrive. If not, then I think you're all right, they should cancel. This is extreme arctic weather. Nobody should be out in it.

honeytea Wed 05-Dec-12 18:16:57

I think if they were flying in today then YANBU to ask them to catch a train, but if they were flying today I think it would be very unlikely that the plane would have landed, all the airports where I live are not alowing planes ot land today.

Friday is forcast to be nice though, really really cold but no snow.

Your DP meeting them at the station shounds like a good idea smile

ChippingInLovesAutumn Wed 05-Dec-12 16:58:12

Is the airport going to be able to remain open?

Are trains going to be able to keep running?

I know that they are FAR better equipped to deal with it than we are in the UK, but surely there's still a limit??

I think they would be better off coming another time to be honest.

Train...not ideal for them

2 hours drive....not ideal for you!

XiaoxiongMerrilyOnHigh Wed 05-Dec-12 16:41:42

I agree with TeWi - especially if there's a potential language barrier and they might get on the wrong train etc. Far better they sit in a cafe at the airport with the paper for an hour waiting for DH then risking train delays/missed connections etc.

whois Wed 05-Dec-12 16:40:32

What's the airport pike? Could they wait there for a few hours until your DH can collect?

Good idea

LadyClariceCannockMonty Wed 05-Dec-12 16:39:25

I think your husband should meet them at the first change too.

FlaminNoraImPregnantPanda Wed 05-Dec-12 16:38:25

I never thought of that TeWis. The airport is nice and warm and they'd only have to wait an hour until his meeting finished, then he could travel the whole way with them.

I'll see what they say. It's so grim at the moment, I don't think anyone should be out in it. It's the first time since moving here that I've heard the Swedish police saying to stay at home unless travel is essential.

TeWisBeenNargledByTheMistletoe Wed 05-Dec-12 16:33:40

What's the airport pike? Could they wait there for a few hours until your DH can collect?

Sounds pretty extreme! Definitely talk it over and see what they think.

fairylightsandtinsel Wed 05-Dec-12 16:31:51

If your DH can meet them at the first change then I think that's fine actually. Best option all round definitely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now