Advanced search

... to ask them to catch a train?

(35 Posts)
FlaminNoraImPregnantPanda Wed 05-Dec-12 16:11:43

My ILs are flying out for the weekend on Friday. Normally I pick them up from the airport (2 hour drive away in good conditions) but the weather is currently terrible. I know you have a bit of snow in the UK at the moment, but it's been full on blizzard here for 3 days now. It's -15C and the snow is up to my chest in places. The snow ploughs are out constantly so there's only about 6 inches on the roads at any one time and I do have studded winter tyres. But visibility is bad, I can't see the house opposite clearly and the route is fairly remote (through forest and countryside with little civilisation along the way). Plus I'm pregnant and a bit more fragile and nervous than usual.

On the other hand, it's full on blizzard and -15C out and my ILs are pensioners and they'd have to make 3 changes to get here. The thought of them waiting on an exposed station platform in these conditions gives me nightmares.

But on the third hand, once they see what conditions are like they will be furious at me for risking future grandson putting myself at risk (at the same time as being eternally grateful for not having to make their own way in it).

What to do for the best?

whois Wed 05-Dec-12 16:16:02

I think you would be U to ask them to get the train with 3 changes.

You are not U for my wanting to drive tho!

Why don't you try and book them a nice airport transfer taxi? That way you don't have to drive AND they get a convenient and comfy journey.

DeafLeopard Wed 05-Dec-12 16:18:35

I think DH should be making the airport run

SomethingProfound Wed 05-Dec-12 16:18:56

Why do you have to do the driving? Can their son not pick them up?

IMO if you don't feel comfortable doing the drive then you shouldn't do it.

HECTheHallsWithRowsAndFolly Wed 05-Dec-12 16:19:39

I'd suggest they stay put, to be honest.

Do they know that you have snow up to your chest in places?

Would they still want to come if they did?

Can you describe it to them and let them choose?

ChippingInLovesAutumn Wed 05-Dec-12 16:20:55

Where is your DH in all of this?

Airport taxi for sure if DH absolutely can't do it. Share the cost with the inlaws.

FireOverBethlehem Wed 05-Dec-12 16:21:08

Can't they cancel the trip until the weather improves? Are you sure that trains will be running? Personally, I wouldn't make them do 3 changes on a train in the weather you've described - is there anyone else who could drive them? could they take a coach instead?

MadameCastafiore Wed 05-Dec-12 16:21:08

Get DH to do it or book a car to do it - no matter how much it would cost due to him not being at work or paying for someone else to do it I would if pregnant - actually I'd do it anyway (not go that is) as find driving in the snow terrifying.

NatashaBee Wed 05-Dec-12 16:26:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FlaminNoraImPregnantPanda Wed 05-Dec-12 16:29:42

My husband has to work, a meeting with a funding body he can't get out of. If they came on the train he would meet them at the first change (main station in the city centre) and travel back with them.

Paying for a taxi is not an option. It would cost around £600 which we don't have.

I think I'll have to give them a call later and explain. Last time I spoke to them we'd only had normal snowfall so it wouldn't have been a problem.

fairylightsandtinsel Wed 05-Dec-12 16:31:51

If your DH can meet them at the first change then I think that's fine actually. Best option all round definitely.

TeWisBeenNargledByTheMistletoe Wed 05-Dec-12 16:33:40

What's the airport pike? Could they wait there for a few hours until your DH can collect?

Sounds pretty extreme! Definitely talk it over and see what they think.

FlaminNoraImPregnantPanda Wed 05-Dec-12 16:38:25

I never thought of that TeWis. The airport is nice and warm and they'd only have to wait an hour until his meeting finished, then he could travel the whole way with them.

I'll see what they say. It's so grim at the moment, I don't think anyone should be out in it. It's the first time since moving here that I've heard the Swedish police saying to stay at home unless travel is essential.

LadyClariceCannockMonty Wed 05-Dec-12 16:39:25

I think your husband should meet them at the first change too.

whois Wed 05-Dec-12 16:40:32

What's the airport pike? Could they wait there for a few hours until your DH can collect?

Good idea

XiaoxiongMerrilyOnHigh Wed 05-Dec-12 16:41:42

I agree with TeWi - especially if there's a potential language barrier and they might get on the wrong train etc. Far better they sit in a cafe at the airport with the paper for an hour waiting for DH then risking train delays/missed connections etc.

BettySwollocksandaCrustyRack Wed 05-Dec-12 16:45:57

I think they would be better off coming another time to be honest.

Train...not ideal for them

2 hours drive....not ideal for you!

ChippingInLovesAutumn Wed 05-Dec-12 16:58:12

Is the airport going to be able to remain open?

Are trains going to be able to keep running?

I know that they are FAR better equipped to deal with it than we are in the UK, but surely there's still a limit??

honeytea Wed 05-Dec-12 18:16:57

I think if they were flying in today then YANBU to ask them to catch a train, but if they were flying today I think it would be very unlikely that the plane would have landed, all the airports where I live are not alowing planes ot land today.

Friday is forcast to be nice though, really really cold but no snow.

Your DP meeting them at the station shounds like a good idea smile

FlaminNoraImPregnantPanda Wed 05-Dec-12 18:24:47

Flippin heck, it's getting worse and worse. The electric has just come back on (went off just after last posting), all the local schools will be closed tomorrow (which my neighbour says will be only the second time that's happened in his 60 something years), and the train company website is down so I've no idea what's happening with those. I hope my husband gets home safely.

The airport is still open and they are due to arrive Friday morning, the weather forecast now says this will continue until tomorrow evening. If that's correct, everything will be up and running again by the time they arrive. If not, then I think you're all right, they should cancel. This is extreme arctic weather. Nobody should be out in it.

cumfy Wed 05-Dec-12 18:30:40


FlaminNoraImPregnantPanda Wed 05-Dec-12 18:36:01

Haha, on a lighter note, and in typical Swedish style, I've just seen the guy at the end of our road. He's come home from work in his massive JCB earth mover instead of his car and is now happily driving up and down the road clearing the foot and half deep snow.

ChippingInLovesAutumn Wed 05-Dec-12 18:44:12

Oh, it sounds lovely from here. I hope your DH gets home safely & soon.

Inertia Wed 05-Dec-12 18:49:12

If it's that bad then they probably shouldn't travel, tbh.

If they do travel, getting DH to collect them from the airport after his meeting is best. That way they are warm , dry and safe, rather than possibly stuck at some more exposed / isolated railway station.

blackeyedsusan Wed 05-Dec-12 18:49:33

envy i want a jcb and snow to clear

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: