Talk

Advanced search

To think that if you tell your teenage babysitter

(19 Posts)
legalalien Tue 04-Dec-12 23:22:20

That you expect to be home at 22.30, then you should be home by 23.00 at the latest, having texted them around 22.00 to tell them about the delay. Assuming they are about 17 or 18 and have school the next day. ???

Festivedidi Tue 04-Dec-12 23:23:59

Yes I would pay that courtesy to any babysitter I have, but especially a teenager who may have a lift home arranged and needs their sleep before school the next day.

I assume it's your teenager who has been left later than they thought?

GrimAndHumourlessAndEven Tue 04-Dec-12 23:26:16

depends on the reason for delay - a cow on the tracks, ok, a car overturned blocking the lane from the pub, ok, we fancied an Optics, not ok

but yes, if the babysitter has school in the morning then the client (for want of a better word) shouldn't be late back. YANBU

legalalien Tue 04-Dec-12 23:28:00

No, actually me ducking out of a function on the basis that I had promised to get home - and everyone else seemed to think I was nuts. smile

legalalien Tue 04-Dec-12 23:28:41

And the reason was slow service....

Dozer Tue 04-Dec-12 23:29:12

They are being dicks, you did the right thing!

GrimAndHumourlessAndEven Tue 04-Dec-12 23:29:33

oh you sweetheart, bless you

that is many many brownie points for your Karma

legalalien Tue 04-Dec-12 23:32:15

Even better I am tucked up in bed and will not have a weds morning hangover!

GrimAndHumourlessAndEven Tue 04-Dec-12 23:34:24

back of the net, matey, back of the net

grin

blackeyedsusan Tue 04-Dec-12 23:36:12

yes, it is called being a responsible adult.

Monty27 Tue 04-Dec-12 23:38:47

Good Goal OP

Go on tell us the details of the painful function then grin (I loathe them)

iago Tue 04-Dec-12 23:38:53

You should have been home at 22.30 which was the agreed time. Those thinking you were 'nuts' to have not fulfilled your agreement with the babysitter do not deserve a babysitter ever!

RyleDup Tue 04-Dec-12 23:46:43

Yes of course. If I tell the babysitter I am going to be back at a certain time, then I am. Unless there is a problem out of my control.

ChippingInLovesAutumn Tue 04-Dec-12 23:47:11

grin It has clearly worked for you this time.

Another time, I'd phone the babysitter and see if it's a problem or not. Mind you, I'm nocturnal and have always been so. When I was that age I rarely needed more than 4 hrs sleep.

Now I need more than that but rarely get it!

Cahoootz Wed 05-Dec-12 00:28:05

I hoped you paid lots extra for your unauthorised half hours. smile
My 16 year old DD loves it when her employers are late, I think she yawns for extra effect. She loves her babysitting money. Unfortunately her employers are very good timekeepers and are rarely late.

joanbyers Wed 05-Dec-12 01:07:25

Babysitter waiting is a great excuse to leave early from any kind of event.

Have used it myself.

One of the benefits of children.

HalloweenNameChange Wed 05-Dec-12 02:53:50

yanbu

SantasComingFace Wed 05-Dec-12 06:22:07

I remember when I was about 14/15 I was babysitting for a relative, first time ever and I was nervous as the eldest had as among other things and didn't actually know me too well. My relative said she 'wouldn't be late' so I expected her around 11, was a week night, I had school the following day. Anyway she came home at 2.30am! By this time my mum had come round too as I was struggling with the DS who had woken again at 1.00am looking for his mum.

I never babysat again for them!

YWNBU!

exoticfruits Wed 05-Dec-12 07:00:41

You did the right thing- when I was a teenage babysitter not only do you get tired but time drags at that time of night when you are just waiting for them to get back. As the parent I always used 'must get back for the babysitter'- it was a great excuse that people couldn't argue with!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now