Talk

Advanced search

to not want to be called 'darling' when I'm making a complaint.

(7 Posts)
schnauzerfan Tue 04-Dec-12 14:46:40

or am I being just overly annoyed and super sensitive. Made a complaint to a Manager regarding a bedroom furniture delivery problem and was constantly called 'darling' throughout the conversation. Would you class this as professional?

No, I would have dropped 'Twat' into the conversation!

YANBU!

nickelbabylyinginamanger Tue 04-Dec-12 14:48:50

yanbu - not professional at all.
Madam would have been fine, but darling is totally inappropriate

schnauzerfan Tue 04-Dec-12 14:51:42

it was a women who I was complaining to, not that that makes any difference but it really irked me. Wasn't sure whether I was just being sensitive.

degutastic Tue 04-Dec-12 14:57:10

It would annoy me too. I don't mind being called things like that during friendly conversations with people I don't know, though it doesn't come naturally to me, but when you're making a complaint it seems somewhat dismissive, condescending and possibly sarcastic.

yanbu...

KirstyJC Tue 04-Dec-12 15:02:37

When I was in Homebase the other day, a male employee asked 'Do you need any help love?' I smiled very sweetly at him and said 'No thanks love'.

He then looked guilty and tried to apologise but instead ended up saying how some people don't like being called Madam either so he would be wrong whatever he said. (great apology right?!?)

I can only assume he was being patronising, as if he really hadn't seen 'love' as insulting, why did he think I was being insulting using it to him?

Next time someone says something like that you to, just say it back. The way they respond to that will tell you how they meant it....

nickelbabylyinginamanger Tue 04-Dec-12 16:53:24

makes no difference if it's a man or woman, it's still unprofessional

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now