Talk

Advanced search

To wish magazines reflected the month they are published during

(13 Posts)
Janeatthebarre Tue 04-Dec-12 11:16:27

Why are magazines always a month ahead of real time? At the end of October, when the clocks had just gone back and I was getting into winter mode, they December issues were out full of Christmas cheer and turkey recipes. This month, when I'm just getting into a Christmassy mood, they are making new year resolutions and joining weightwatchers sad
It's the same all year round. I'm going on my summer hols, they're heading back to school and cooking casseroles; I'm all wrapped up in wooly jumpers and opaque tights, they're choosing fake tans and flattering bikini shapes.

AIBU to wish magazines would stop confusing me and live in real time?

maudpringle Tue 04-Dec-12 11:20:08

I am with you on this, it gets right on my goat.
In fact I stopped buying good housekeeping for this reason (oh and the fact they had blooming twiggy on the cover every 3rd month)

ImperialSantaKnickers Tue 04-Dec-12 11:20:20

I've often wondered this... is it related to the way clothes shops are always full of winter stuff the moment the school summer holidays start? And just try getting a new warm coat in February, when dd1 has hopelessly trashed hers in a sledging disaster.

Santasapunkatheart Tue 04-Dec-12 11:24:47

Magazines work months in advance. Even newspapers sometimes do. I wrote an article (travel) last month and it won't be published until March in the Independent on Sunday. It's also partly a psychological thing too - no one would buy an October magazine when it gets to November...they want to look fresh, current and forward-looking.

Fashion also looks ahead a lot.

It's a funny world, publishing. But I love it! Just got a gig on Simple Things - which is really exciting.

I'm with you on the Twiggy thing though....too much Twiggy!

WholeLottaRosie Tue 04-Dec-12 11:25:29

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

CambridgeBlue Tue 04-Dec-12 11:27:38

It annoys me too but having worked in publishing I see why it happens - maybe just buy them later in the month?!

Santa - nice one, I love that magazine!

Janeatthebarre Tue 04-Dec-12 11:30:35

But why Cambridge? (Serious question).

Snorbs Tue 04-Dec-12 11:37:54

Let's say the magazine hits the streets on the 10th of the month.

Which issue should have the New Years Resolution stuff in it - the one coming out 10 Dec, or the one coming out 10 Jan?

ceeveebee Tue 04-Dec-12 11:40:09

Its done deliberately by publishers so that the magazines can stay on the shelf for longer, to generate more copy sales and to keep the advertising window open. It used to always be one month ahead, some magazines are now two months ahead (I work for a magazine publisher)

Santasapunkatheart Tue 04-Dec-12 11:55:02

Shelf life - that's the phrase!

Janeatthebarre Tue 04-Dec-12 11:58:30

Ok. Kind of understand it now. But it still feels weird to be reading about Bonfire Night when it's still balmy Autumn weather outside, or Easter Sunday lunches when I've hardly taken down the Christmas decorations. grin

OhTheConfusion Tue 04-Dec-12 12:14:23

It bugs me too but I get why it happens.

Well done Santa... I will no doube be reading it over my toast in March!

langho Tue 04-Dec-12 12:17:18

This topic came up about 18 months ago and loads posted on it but it still didn't make sense to me.
I got my copy of January's Trail last week - still November.
I would have been happier if it was December's copy!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: