Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Family at Christmas!

(36 Posts)
yummincepie Mon 03-Dec-12 12:41:56

My father in law spilt up with his partner 6 years ago, revealing that she had been accusing him of carrying on with me!!

They have still kepted seeing each other all this time, I have repeatedly over the years said she is well in our house.

My father inlaw sees her grandchildren regularly, but no effort is made on her part to have any contact with our children. My father inlaw takes my eldest child cycling every weekend with her granddaughter, my daughter has no idea what the connection is with this child to her grandad.

It feels like my family is still being punished for something that never happened.

My father inlaw has spent Christmas Day with us for the last 6 yrs, yesterday he told us he would be spending it with her and her family.

I feel so angry and upset that I now have to explain to a 9 and 4 yr old why their grandad isn 't coming this year!

My husband is close to his dad and doesn't see why I am upset.

Yesterday I sat and listened to my father inlaw telling us about a singing concert her granddaughters were in that they went to watch

I really Don 't know how to handle this, I saw her at a funeral a couple of months ago, we chatted and I told her myself she is welcome at our house, but no effort as been made!

takataka Mon 03-Dec-12 12:44:26

hmmm...i can see why you are upset, but FiL can spend Christmas wherever he likes and with whoever he wants to

sounds like the woman just doesnt like you sad

squeakytoy Mon 03-Dec-12 12:47:17

YABU to expect the man to spend every Christmas Day with you, and are your children really going to be too bothered.. most kids are more interested in the fact that Father Christmas will be calling!

I cant even understand why you would expect her to get involved with your children either as they are not a relation to her, and she has her own grandchildren.

missymoomoomee Mon 03-Dec-12 12:49:19

I have to agree, I think she just doesn't like you for whatever reason. It might be better that she doesn't try and take any involvement.

Your FIL can spend xmas wherever he wants. You don't have to make a big deal about it with your DC just say he is spending xmas with his girlfriend and you will see him on x date.

takataka Mon 03-Dec-12 12:50:39

squeaky im not so sure; my kids are dead excited about Father Xmas, but would begutted if Granny and Grandad didnt come

OP arrange to see him Boxing Day or day after? so they have that to look forward to...

I dont see why you would expect her to make an effort with your kids to be honest....they are nothing to do with her.

Your FIL is allowed to go where he wants on Xmas Day. Sounds like as he has done the last 6 years with you that is has become expected but yes, he can go elsewhere if he wants to.

Why should she be making an effort with you?? She isn't your FIL's partner anymore is she?

yummincepie Mon 03-Dec-12 13:15:54

There was me thinking Christmas wad about spending time with YOUR family!! And I am sorry it upsets me that my childrens only grandparent will be watching and spending quality time on Christmas day with someone elses grandchildren.

I don't expect him to come to ours every year.

Think now I will just back off, I was accused of something awful, for over several years this womens family were all whispering about me behind mind and my husbands back!! And my father inlaw knew what was bring said.

But me being the pushover I am, just took it.

If that's where he'd would rather be , the family that tried their very best to destroy his son s family so be it. I can put on a front for my husbands and my childrens sake when I have to.

AlienRefluxLooksLikeSnow Mon 03-Dec-12 13:19:11

Oh blimey OP, let it go. You say he doesn't have to spend every christmas with you, good he's not this year, your kids will be fine, don't alienate him over this woman, do you really miss her that much?

missymoomoomee Mon 03-Dec-12 13:21:18

Christmas is about spending time with whoever you want to. He wants to spend it with her.

Your DH doesn't care, I think you will have to take a leaf out of his book and put what happened 6 years ago out of your mind and move on.

takataka Mon 03-Dec-12 13:23:45

have you ever confronted her about what she said? Id have to...

have you ever confronted your FiL about his stance on the situation?

yummincepie Mon 03-Dec-12 13:24:54

I will not fallout with him over this, I have said anything about how I feel. Nor will I.

takataka Mon 03-Dec-12 13:25:03

even if you got on really well with the woman and this 'thing' had never happened...its very liley that FiL is going to want to spend some xmases with her and her family isnt it, i think?

Pandemoniaa Mon 03-Dec-12 13:25:05

Christmas is a time not to be guilt-tripped into decisions. I know there's a backstory here, OP but actually, your FIL is perfectly entitled to make a decision about where he wants to spend Christmas. He's spent the last 6 years with you and perhaps he'd like a change. It doesn't have to be the cause of grief though.

Pandemoniaa Mon 03-Dec-12 13:25:52

Also second what takataka says about perhaps wanting to spend Christmas with her and her grandchildren. Is that such a crime?

HotBurrito1 Mon 03-Dec-12 13:26:30

OP you just sound jealous. If you'd like him to come for Christmas in the future I'd accept his decision graciously, after all it is his decision.

takataka Mon 03-Dec-12 13:26:52

yy pandemonnia I think this is 2 seperate issues

1) FiL doesnt have to spend every xmas with you, as sad as that is for you
2) sort out this issue with his girlfriend, as it is pissing you off

yummincepie Mon 03-Dec-12 13:32:17

To be honest my father inlaw was was so embrassed when he finally had to tell us what he had been constantly accused of for 2 yrs. I felt sorry him. Initially I was angry with this women, she could of destroyed my marriage. But she did apologise a year later. Think that was when they started seeing each other again.

But if I am really honest I resent the fact I was used as a scape goat.

Yummi it sounds awful BUT......the situation with his friend is nothing to fo with Christmas. Bottom line is he is an adult and as he has spent the last 6 Christmases with you and yours, he is going elsewhere this year.

See him boxing day if you can, the kids will be pleased enough with that and you can have a nice intimate christmas day with no awkwardness smile

takataka Mon 03-Dec-12 13:36:02

oh, she has apologised for it, so she no longer believes you had an affair with her boyfreind

I imagine she is really embarrased, and maybe that is why she doesnt like spending time with you?

but I think the history, is irrelevant in that; FiL wants to spend time with his GF at Xmas and so that involves being with her family...can you ask if they will both come to yours next year?

takataka Mon 03-Dec-12 13:38:58

My father inlaw takes my eldest child cycling every weekend with her granddaughter, my daughter has no idea what the connection is with this child to her grandad

what do you mean by this? does your dc know that the other child is the granddaughter of your FiLs GF?? its quite a convoluted 'relationship' to not really constitute a relationship at all. But you could explain who the other child is? Or is it a secret? confused

I think that you wish your family and the womens family could become closer, is that it?

yummincepie Mon 03-Dec-12 13:44:27

Will try that, yes maybe I am jealous
When I sit there and listened to all the stuff he does with her grandchildren. Yes I then do get pissed off when I constantly have to to remind him about stuff and events his own grandchildren are doing.

I am only human and have feelings too.

yummincepie Mon 03-Dec-12 13:48:08

My children have no idea who this women is, how can you talk about a person and explain the connection. And what reason do I give to why they never see her.

takataka Mon 03-Dec-12 13:51:37

why do they never see her? confused

how much time does FiL spend with her/ your dcs? does that time never overlap? Is it because she doesnt want to see your dcs at all?

HotBurrito1 Mon 03-Dec-12 13:53:50

If he's not making such an effort with your kids I can see how that would hurt. Ultimately though, again that's his decision. At least you have still been having him round.

yummincepie Mon 03-Dec-12 13:57:45

No never made any effort. As far as I know she does not go to my father inlaws house so no chance of seeing her really.

Feel better for getting it off my chest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now