Talk

Advanced search

To think DS is lying to me how do I check?

(17 Posts)
queencat Sun 02-Dec-12 09:30:32

This is a bit silly but it's really winding me up,

I woke up this morning to receive two iTunes receipts ony email one for £14.25 one for £12.50 for things purchased on Tap Zoo.

I haven't given DS my password and I haven't downloaded them, I think he has watched me put the password in and then used it.

He is denying it but unless the app just automatically takes the money, I can't see what else has happened,

Does anyone know anything about bloody Tap Zoo can it update itself or is he lying because I'm so cross!

chipsandpeas Sun 02-Dec-12 09:43:23

nope hes bought them you have to click to buy then you get a are you sure message then it asks for your password - i'd change your password asap

GhostShip Sun 02-Dec-12 09:45:42

Sorry queencat He's lying

Whoknowswhocares Sun 02-Dec-12 09:48:37

Give him one last chance to come clean and tell him if it wasn't him you will be calling iTunes customer service to notify them of fraud on the account.

It is probably possible for your account to have been hacked, isn't it? Or it to be an error? Not sure how foolproof their security is but if scammers can hack the banks, then it's not too much of an imagination stretch.

Oh and change your password!

SavoyCabbage Sun 02-Dec-12 09:49:15

It doesn't update itself. It is always asking you if you want to buy stuff but you ant without the password.

TidyDancer Sun 02-Dec-12 09:52:16

You definitely have in app purchases disabled, don't you? I'll admit I don't know anything about this game in particular, but I know some people have been stung without knowing they were until they got the bill. This was with other things, but still.

Whoknowswhocares has a good idea. I know if that was me as a child, the threat of someone else becoming involved would've been enough to make me cough up the truth.

queencat Sun 02-Dec-12 09:57:54

I've just checked on my in app settings and the password is unlocked for 15 minutes after purchasing something. I've changed all the settings and deleted that app and taken away the iPad from him. My exh bought it for him, I bloody knew it was a stupid idea at the time and he wouldn't be the one picking up the bill as usual!

GhostShip Sun 02-Dec-12 09:59:10

The iPad isn't a stupid idea, it's a good present so don't blame your exh. Your child is to blame for being deceitful and doing something he knew was wrong.

BertieBotts Sun 02-Dec-12 10:13:28

If it's unlocked for 15 minutes after use, it's possible that he clicked on something not realising it would charge your account. Especially if the thing that you did pay for unlocked some new features which he wasn't familiar with. This is assuming you've ever paid for something and then let him use the iPad less than 15 minutes later, though.

GhostShip Sun 02-Dec-12 10:14:39

BertieBotts - to rack up a bill like that though, it would be consecutive times. AND it clearly says on that game (I had it) that 'this will charge you XX amount'

queencat Sun 02-Dec-12 10:15:42

I think this is what has happened. I've deleted the app and just looked up on Internet. Tap zoo is apparently one of the worst offenders with people tacking up massive bills.

McChristmasPants2012 Sun 02-Dec-12 10:23:14

why delete something off his ipad. I understand he should be punished for lying to you but that seems a bit harsh.

If exdh bought it for our children it would be his itunes account on there.

GhostShip Sun 02-Dec-12 10:25:19

I'd delete it too, just like you'd take away something that he'd abused the use of. When he can earn your trust again, he can have the app back.

Although all that money thats been spent on the app is now wasted.

bradywasmyfavouriteking Sun 02-Dec-12 10:28:34

You can't blame you ex h for buying the IPad for this.
Its your sons fault.

queencat Sun 02-Dec-12 10:33:29

I am joking about it being my exh's fault, I'm just pissed off I have to pay this bill.

I've deleted it because its been abused he must have had a message flash up and he has still clicked ok it's alright to buy it without asking.

HairyPotter Sun 02-Dec-12 10:53:21

I have massive problems with TapZoo and the like. I had a £60 bill from iTunes. After a bit of googling, I noticed lots of people saying the same thing. I checked the times and dates of all the charges, the majority of them were in the morning when dd was at school and the iPod was upstairs. No earthly way she could have bought anything.

We also had charges from apps she had downloaded, played, realised they were rubbish then deleted. hmm

We did get refunded from iTunes although it took a week or so. I removed the debit card from my account as well.

I would email iTunes. They tend to refund fairly easily as I think they know they are on dodgy moral ground having apps aimed at children that easily rack up huge bills.

I did yell at dd when I discovered mine, I had to apologise later when I realised it wasn't her fault blush

Whatdoiknowanyway Sun 02-Dec-12 11:13:49

I had bills mounting up from my nephew playing on an iPhone app. He hadn't put the password in - couldn't, he's far too young to be able to do anything like that.
I checked with iTunes and it was my settings that were at fault. iTunes refunded me in full.
There's a good chance it wasn't your son's fault.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now