Talk

Advanced search

Model Agency scout

(29 Posts)
Scholes34 Sat 01-Dec-12 23:07:53

Am I being unreasonable, and cynical, to ignore the business card passed to my 15 year old DD whilst she was shopping this afternoon, by the Head of Scouting of a major model agency?

Anyone got any experience of this and what might happen if the parents do ring the number of the card? The card is currently destined for the bin.

ohfunnyface Sat 01-Dec-12 23:09:44

If they want you to pay for photos- dodgy.

Google the name- probably dodgy.

Plenty of models approach agencies- local small shopping centre? Dodgy.

bradywasmyfavouriteking Sat 01-Dec-12 23:10:44

depends on the agency. Have you googled it?

I was a model as a child through to 25 and dd has done some.

The main thing you are looking for is if they want money off you up front. If so, I would suggest its a scam.

goralka Sat 01-Dec-12 23:10:49

where was she shopping scholes approximtely? I think this is how they find new models, esp. around certain areas.
Is she interested?

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 01-Dec-12 23:11:36

Which agency is it?

I think if you ring,they may invite you to accompany your daughter to the agency office to discuss potentially modelling and maybe do some test shots.

Scholes34 Sat 01-Dec-12 23:12:14

It was Elite, and she was in Cambridge.

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 01-Dec-12 23:12:26

Also,the big agencies will have websites so maybe have a look at that?

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 01-Dec-12 23:14:17

Elite is a good one as far as I know,reputable,has big names on the books (I read Vogue sometimes)

If you're not comfortable with your daughter modelling then obviously it's up to you,but a chat on the phone with them might not hurt. smile

goralka Sat 01-Dec-12 23:14:33

well it is possibly not a scam, others here are offering good advice anyway.
is she unusual looking? I mean most young girls are pretty, but does she look a bit 'different'?

mrscumberbatch Sat 01-Dec-12 23:14:36

Elite is well respected. It's just an invite really. If she fancies it I'd be inclined to let her go and see what they have to say/what it's all about.

hellymelly Sat 01-Dec-12 23:15:32

Hmm, well 15 is really young to be modelling. I don't know how they manage with girls that young, as the work rules are so strict. If it is a major agency, then they would be happy to chat to you and talk through what they would want from your dd if they took her on. I would talk to them, as there is the possibility she could work alonside university etc. But it depends how you feel about the whole industry. Having a job based solely on ones looks isn't very healthy emotionally. You know how your dd would deal with it so are the best judge. I have met well adjusted (usually Swedish!) models who think of it as a short term way of getting cash for studying etc, and I have met totally screwed up ones with eating disorders. It takes a level head and a sense of proportion which not many mid-teen girls have. What does your dd think?

ohfunnyface Sat 01-Dec-12 23:17:29

Check the exact name on the business card, check their website is the real Elite.

How tall is your daughter? Did they know how old she was? I've heard of younger girls who lied about their age being then asked to do 'glamour' work and they paid themselves for the privilege only to have no rights over the photos and the photographers selling them.

Scholes34 Sat 01-Dec-12 23:17:43

I think she's ever so slightly flattered, but says she's not interested. She doesn't have unusual looks - rather nice long hair, and of course I think she's beautiful.

bradywasmyfavouriteking Sat 01-Dec-12 23:18:16

Elite is one of the main ones.

But just because its says that on his card doesn't make it true.

Call them on monday morning to verify.

15 is not young for a model at all.

First ensure he is who he says he is and then speak to dd. It can't hurt to meet with them if this is something she really wants.

What is the company called on the card is it 'elite model management'

bradywasmyfavouriteking Sat 01-Dec-12 23:21:40

If you google 'elite model agency scam'.

It seems there are a few scams where people are posing as being from Elite model management.

Ranges from blatant lying and saying they work for EMM, to having companies with slightly altered names like 'elite models'

goralka Sat 01-Dec-12 23:21:46

well if she says she is not interested, let it go I suppose - quite a boost for her though - she will be able to say 'ooh yes i was model spotted but I was SO not interested' (flicks lovely hair).

Scholes34 Sat 01-Dec-12 23:21:54

I just had a quick look at their web-site, and will check out the name on the card - good advice. She is tall - probably just about the 5' 8" minimum they state.

Just wondering whether anyone else had had their children approached in this way. The only other scouts I've had any experience of are cub scouts, explorer scouts and football scouts (the answer was no there too - gosh, I'm harsh and a cynical old bag).

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 01-Dec-12 23:24:28

I think it's quite common Op,the scouts just go out and keep their eyes peeled for a girl/boy who they think has potential.

snice Sat 01-Dec-12 23:25:23

I know of a child of a similar age who was approached in Newquay in the summer by one of the big agencies-the boy in question has that Jack wills surfer look

MrsMushroom Sat 01-Dec-12 23:25:24

I was approached by Storm when I was 17. blush They do just walk up to people sometimes. I never went there because I wasn't geared that way...no interest whatsoever!

Agree that calling Elite on Monday and running his name past the receptionist will give you your answer. Seems unlikely to be a scam though.

Scholes34 Sat 01-Dec-12 23:26:49

Hmm, card will probably not go in the bin, but will be filed under "would have been nice, but I was too interested in ballet and baking cakes at the time and mum was just disappointed at a missed opportunity to pay off the mortgage early."

bradywasmyfavouriteking Sat 01-Dec-12 23:28:01

DD was approached but that was at one of my shoots. She is with an agency that was mine when I was a child.

Its not unusual to be approached in this way. However agencies are very wary about doing so as most people would not appreciate a middle aged man giving their teenage dd his phone number.

But its also not unusual to be scammed this way.

There were a few famous models (i believe Noami Campbell was one) that was spotted like this. So scammers use that. Giselle was another.

Softlysoftly Sat 01-Dec-12 23:28:28

Call the number on the Elite website and ask for the person rather than the number on the card though. That way if it's fake you'll know.

Scholes34 Sat 01-Dec-12 23:31:10

Thanks, softly and all.

SlightlyJaded Sat 01-Dec-12 23:33:19

A relation was scored by Elite about ten years ago whilst out with me. I called the phone number in the official website (rather than the card) to ask if the lady who had scouted her worked for them. She did, and although my relation wasn't that interested, she was flattered and curious.

We went along DVD they did done test shots. They talked other quite a lot about her education and how she should focus on that as a priority (she was 16 at the time) and offered to send her on some 'go sees'. She did a couple of shoots and then lost interest.

I think she would say now she's glad she did it as in, it was a 'thing she can say she tried'/an opportunity taken, but ultimately it wasn't for her.

If you are talking to the real Elite, I was quite pleasantly surprised by their approach though things might have changed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now