Talk

Advanced search

To think that its the season for people to complain about people complaining and for saying that 'in other countries they don't complain about the cold' and 'its colder this year than last year' etc

(4 Posts)
Heroine Sat 01-Dec-12 19:58:57

Just saying that each year the headlines are exactly the same - its freezing, the gritters are out, but everyone think that if THEY were in charge the gritters would be out simultaneously all over the whole country the instant it was nearly cold, that all the roads would be snow-ploughed even if there was a cm of snow, that everyone would switch to chains on their shoes, socks on the outside, and snow chains immediately.

Jeez..

OpheliaPayneAgain Sat 01-Dec-12 20:01:42

The weather - the English phenomenen of conversation opener.

certain poarts of the country should prepare like Scandanavia or canada does - I cant remember a year in recent times where Wales or the North/Scotland haven't had diabolical weather, lasting a month or two - remember the poor woman in Scotland who went to town to get her turkey and it took her a month to get home (not a typo)

evilhamster Sat 01-Dec-12 20:31:21

It's probably very hard to organise but it's true that other countries have very severe weather, and for the most part we don't here- fair enough, a sudden surprise, but now it's not a surprise, we get snow and it all grinds to a halt anyway. At least in the South.

I'm from Iceland btw and it worked perfectly there! We never got a day off school unless it was colder than -30 (and I can remember that happening once!) so when I was a kid I'd be all for everything shutting down.

CaliforniaLeaving Sat 01-Dec-12 21:17:15

I complain about the cold and I also complain about the heat. I'm not in UK (at the moment) Complaining about the weather is fair game no matter where you are.
People in every country complain about the weather (there's always that one person) even if it seems like you would prefer their weather over yours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now