Talk

Advanced search

Neighbours leaving their barking dog alone all day

(29 Posts)
perceptionreality Fri 30-Nov-12 19:42:16

I have posted about this before. Our neighbours have a spaniel who is often left alone in the house all day, barking until she is hoarse and howling. Yesterday the dog was barking constantly from 8.30am to 7pm.

I have spoken twice to the neighbours about it and the last time, the owner said 'I'm very sorry but I don't know what we can do about it' hmm Perhaps not buy a dog if they can't afford to look after it??

I am keeping a diary of when the dog barks. What should I do now? I feel reporting the neighbours could cause me problems. I also have an autistic dd with sensory issues and the barking stresses her out. They are out now and the dog is barking again, Any advice?

Choufleur Fri 30-Nov-12 19:43:35

I woudl report it. We have two spaniels and I'm very conscious of the noise they make and have asked neighbours before if they bark when we are out - they don't unless people come to the door, like the postman.

nellyjelly Fri 30-Nov-12 19:44:07

Ask RSPCA for advice. Dog is clearly being neglected.

quoteunquote Fri 30-Nov-12 19:44:46

I'm very sorry but I don't know what we can do about it

give her some ideas,

re home it to someone who can meet it's needs.

doggy day care.

'

perceptionreality Fri 30-Nov-12 19:47:20

The dog is not even a year old. But they clearly took it on knowing they wouldn't be prepared to fund day care for it.

perceptionreality Fri 30-Nov-12 19:48:10

I have heard the RSPCA won't do anything unless the dog is not fed and being kept in dirty conditions.

nellyjelly Fri 30-Nov-12 19:48:48

But they might have some advice?

perceptionreality Fri 30-Nov-12 19:49:12

Who do you report it to though? The council or environmental health?

DudeInaTutu Fri 30-Nov-12 19:51:03

the council will view it as a noise issue - so report it to them. They can set up recording equipment and if they deem it an issue they can force your neighbours so do something about it.

you have my sympathies as we had a similar issue - our neighbours had an elderley dog that howled all day - they got another dog so it had company and its stopped thank god - but all the neighbours were complaining so i think they had to do something.

reddaisy Fri 30-Nov-12 19:51:14

Poor lonely dog. Some people are so selfish.

perceptionreality Fri 30-Nov-12 19:58:22

Yes, the problem is that we are the only neighbours - there is nobody the other side. i worry about the dog's mental health tbh.

catcalledginger Fri 30-Nov-12 20:03:12

Poor dog! It sounds very distressed.

I would definitely ring one of the following for advice; RSPCA, Dogs Trust, Blue Cross. There must be something you can do.

sixlostmonkeys Fri 30-Nov-12 20:06:39

Leaving a dog alone for this length of time is really damaging.
I got my dog from the dogs trust as a pup - born to an 11 month old dog who was left alone all day. She was in a right state (mentally) because of this and they had to work with her for months before they could even consider re-homing her. It was heartbreaking.

If you can, talk to your neighbours again and try and convince them to get a dog sitter or even re-home her. If they won't listen I would try and get advice from the rspca etc.

nellyjelly Fri 30-Nov-12 20:11:40

Could you offer to go in and take her for a walk? It's a big deal I know but I would be tempted even if it is only to shame them!

rosiesmartypants Fri 30-Nov-12 20:17:00

I had a similar situation with a neighbour in a block of flats - dog was upstairs and barked all day long.

Neighbour responded in a similar fashion, that the dog was just doing what came naturally.

I gave her a pile of paperwork on the No Bark dog collar!! But if it is upsetting DD so much I would consider reporting to the council, as normally have a department that deals with noise nuisance, which includes barking dogs.

specialsubject Fri 30-Nov-12 22:22:43

report to the council. No-one should have to put up with this, especially not a disabled child.

It would be kinder to have the dog destroyed, I'm afraid.

perceptionreality Fri 30-Nov-12 22:27:32

I think I will have no choice but to report it. But it is not every day. If someone is at home, you would never know the dog was even there. I would say it's about 4 days a week.

perceptionreality Fri 30-Nov-12 22:28:17

Does it have to be every day for you to report it?

OpheliaPayneAgain Fri 30-Nov-12 22:30:59

If the dog didnt bark, would you have issues with it being left alone?

perceptionreality Fri 30-Nov-12 22:35:10

It's not my dog is it? I know little about dogs except that generally they are not like cats and you shouldn't leave them alone. I think the fact it is barking is what shows it's unhappy. I can't comment on whether it's sometimes ok to leave a dog alone or whether some dogs are happy to be left alone.

CaptainVonTrapp Fri 30-Nov-12 22:36:16

Report it to the environmental health dept of your local council. Doesn't need to be every day.

perceptionreality Fri 30-Nov-12 22:48:52

It does really stress my daughter - she has sensory problems. It has got to the stage where we go out just to get away from it.

Cantbelieveitsnotbutter Fri 30-Nov-12 22:52:48

They probably don't realise how bad it really is. Suggest those anti bark lemon spray collars, leaving radios on that sort of thing

FlaminNoraImPregnantPanda Fri 30-Nov-12 22:58:44

My dog barks all day even though I'm home. Today he took great offence at the snow daring to fall in HIS garden. That is why we live in a house where the neighbours are out of earshot. Bad enough that I have to put up with it, wouldn't want to inflict him on anyone else.

YANBU to report this.

Cristina0115 Fri 22-Jul-16 01:57:07

I took my puppy from a dog foster home about a year ago. I love him to bits; he has a great personality, and I feel that he loves our family so much. BUT he barks A LOT. . So, leaving home is always a challenge for us.
My husband and I were thinking about taking him to 'doggy school', but then again, it’s extremely expensive, and the nearest 'doggy school' is far away from us. Maybe you have some advice? THANK YOU!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now