Talk

Advanced search

AIBU - can I return this coat? (long - sorry)

(31 Posts)
BaaaaaaBaaaaaaBlackSheep Fri 30-Nov-12 16:07:41

Please help me - I've been a complete idiot with a recent clothes purchase and I want to know if I can rectify it.

Three weeks ago I got a very short break from looking after small children and I dashed into town and bought a new winter coat. It wasn't cheap, but it was gorgeous and I figured I bought my last one six years ago, so I could justify stretching my budget. I remember thinking it was a snug fit, but the attentive shopping assistant said that was the style. I just thought - it's a 12 and so am I so that's fine. At the cash register we noticed one of the buttons was loose, and they gave me an additional 10% off, telling me it meant I could not return it. No problem I thought - I waltzed home, thrilled with my new purchase and chuffed that I had been so efficient in buying a new coat in less than half an hour.

I fixed the loose button and the mend is not visible to the naked eye.

Now that the biting cold weather has settled in, I went to put on my coat and it is too tight. I checked the label and it's a size 10, not 12 (there is no way I'm a 10!). The hanger said the wrong size and I was in a hurry, but that's no excuse - I should have checked the label of the coat. I have not taken the shop cardboard labels off, and there is nothing on them marking the coat as damaged or reduced. I still have the receipt, but naturally it has the 10% discount on it.

I really want to change the coat to a size 12. I have checked, and they have a size 12 in stock. I can't afford to own the coat in both sizes. What are my options?

I know that the coat was bought on the basis that I couldn't take it back (yes, I have been really, really stupid) but if I took it to the shop without the receipt and asked to change sizes, would the shop know it had been reduced? Would the system have tracked the individual coat, so would they know it was damaged and therefore not returnable?

If I was upfront with the shop and took it back with the receipt, notwithstanding the discount I got (and I'll happily pay the 10% difference) would they let me exchange it for the size 12?

I know I don't have a leg to stand on in terms of my legal rights, but anyone work in retail who can guide me here?

Or AIBU, since the coat was not returnable and I'm stuck with it (unless I sell on ebay)?

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Fri 30-Nov-12 16:09:59

I think there is a pretty good chance they would exchange. Which shop is it from?

EverythingsDozy Fri 30-Nov-12 16:11:26

If you take it back with the receipt they might just make you pay the 10%. Honestly, I would just take it back without receipt and exchange it.

ohfunnyface Fri 30-Nov-12 16:11:40

Take it to a different store (so you are not recognised) and switch it.

aPirateInaPearTree Fri 30-Nov-12 16:12:02

go back show them the hanger with the size 12 on it, and the labbel with the size 10 on it.

say you would be very grateful if you could have a 12, s you thought you were getting a twelve, and can't quite understand how the 'mix up' happened (look confused and sad) and say you will happily pay the full price, especially as you have now fixed the button on the 10 and they can prob charge full for that one.

diddl Fri 30-Nov-12 16:12:31

Is it obvious that the coat is from there?

If so, it´s worth a try-or another branch where they won´t recognise you??

Would they exchange without a receipt?

Feign ignorance about the discount & offer to pay the difference?

Kalisi Fri 30-Nov-12 16:15:30

Most shops won't even be that fussy about having a receipt if the item still has the tags and it is just an exchange. I'd try taking it back without it to begin with, the whole 10% off may just overly complicate things

CajaDeLaMemoria Fri 30-Nov-12 16:15:51

Was it JN?

If it was, the tag on the coat itself will be marked as reduced when they scan it. I think DP is the same, although I'm not sure.

For most other shops, it'll probably hinge on what the tag said. Did the tag with the price on say 12 or 10?

You could try taking it back anyway, saying that the shop assistant told you it was a 12 but it's a 10, and only offering the receipt if they refuse to do anything without it? Ruffle in your bag in that case, and then proclaim how lucky you are to have found it. They may make you pay the 10%, but most shops will probably exchange without the receipt because they won't be able to see the damage.

Unless its JN, who are well known for being difficult! In that case, I'd ebay and buy the right size.

BaaaaaaBaaaaaaBlackSheep Fri 30-Nov-12 16:17:18

I doubt they will recognise me as it's a big department store in London and it was a few weeks ago.

BaaaaaaBaaaaaaBlackSheep Fri 30-Nov-12 16:20:26

The tag with the price on said 10. It was only the hanger that said 12.

I know it sounds silly, but I don't want the shop assistants to think I'm trying to pull a fast one or be dishonest.

diddl Fri 30-Nov-12 16:22:32

Well it´s worth a try as you want the coat.

If it comes up at a discounted price just say that obviously you are wanting to pay the difference.

diddl Fri 30-Nov-12 16:24:16

meant intending to pay...

YellowTulips Fri 30-Nov-12 16:27:05

There is nothing to lose and a lot to gain by simply asking....

I would simply say you need the next size up and not go into all the back story (for all they know it could have been a present) and see what they say.

Given you are happy to pay the extra 10% if they ask that sounds reasonable.

HollaAtMeBaby Fri 30-Nov-12 16:27:06

What brand/shop is it? Can you go to a different branch? Or get a friend to swap it for you at the original shop in London?

JustFabulous Fri 30-Nov-12 16:28:50

I would take it back without the receipt and ask for a straight swap. They will use the fact that you have "altered" the coat as a reason to not be able to resell it. Clearly barmy as you have only sewn a button on but they can be strict about stuff like this. I always check the label as have had many things not be the size the hanger said they were, M & S is particulary bad for this ime.

Pinkforever Fri 30-Nov-12 16:32:46

God stop worrying about it and take it back-Im sure they will happily swap it for the correct size as assistant should have got you the right one in the first place.

diddl Fri 30-Nov-12 16:40:14

The assistant should have got the correct size-but OP did try it on!

Whistlingwaves Fri 30-Nov-12 16:40:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Fri 30-Nov-12 16:52:08

It's worth a try, they can only say no.

maddening Fri 30-Nov-12 16:57:29

They might accept you paying the extra 10% for a perfect size 12 coat.

LadyIsabellaWrotham Fri 30-Nov-12 17:04:07

What Caja said - got to be worth a try, and if you promise us the repair is perfect then we won't judge you.

trudat Fri 30-Nov-12 18:32:29

Don't tell them your story. If you do, even if the assistant feels sorry for you (which I would), their hands are tied by the fact it was sold as damaged.

Take it back without the receipt and ask for a straight exchange. If the tags are on it most assistants won't look at the garment in detail. Assuming it's not a crushed up rag or stinking of fag smoke or covered in cat hair, you should get away with it.

Though, you should maybe donate the 10% discount you got to charity to avoid karma coming to bite you in the ass grin Also to asuage the guilt you should feel towards the poor sod who pays full price for your repaired coat.

popcornpaws Fri 30-Nov-12 19:02:42

I work in a dept store on customer services dept, They will not be able to tell how much you paid etc, take it back, ask for the next size and that will be the end of it! The less information you give the better by the way!

MrsCampbellBlack Fri 30-Nov-12 19:04:44

It will very much on the store - John Lewis would exchange I'm sure.

RooneyMara Fri 30-Nov-12 19:16:00

Don't say you've repaired it and DON'T repair it (Fab is right) as that means you've accepted it, and it's not as 'verbally' described - it's a difficult one but I'd just be honest.

I might also try without the receipt but have it to hand if needed - they might just say yes, have a 12, without needing to see it - and if they do ask you'll have it in your bag and have to mention the discount.

Obviously yes offer to pay the difference.
Good luck, hope it is a decent shop and they are good about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now