Talk

Advanced search

To find it a challenge to cook with a little person clinging to my leg?

(19 Posts)
Misty9 Thu 29-Nov-12 19:03:01

Little person in question is 14 months and not walking yet, but loves cruising and also going through a clingy phase. I have to stretch to reach as much as possible for fear of accidentally knocking him flying onto the tiled kitchen floor...

I do as much as I can one-handed whilst holding him on my hip, but even I can't chop an onion one handed!

Said dinner was then refused by ds and eaten lukewarm by dh who was late... Sigh.

Pancakeflipper Thu 29-Nov-12 19:04:50

get all the pans out and give them the wooden spoons. They will release your legs and replace this with a storming headache

Pascha Thu 29-Nov-12 19:05:49

Then call DH and ask him to bring takeaway home. Give your little person fishfingers for tea. Job done. grin

forevergreek Thu 29-Nov-12 19:06:27

I usually either pop in highchair at counter and let them 'help', or open cupboard full of plastic and let them get on with it!

nackerednurse Thu 29-Nov-12 19:06:57

At this age you have to batch cook things when they are asleep that can be frozen/reheated. Tis the only way.

Anyway, kitchens, sharp knives and hot things plus toddler is way too dangerous.

valiumredhead Thu 29-Nov-12 19:10:07

No way would I try and cook with a child on my hip.

Batch cooking when child is asleep is the way to go.

AnnIonicIsoTronic Thu 29-Nov-12 19:10:50

Two words: slow cooker.

At this age - fish fingers etc are utter hell tO cook.

tiddleypompom Thu 29-Nov-12 19:12:29

I give clingy 14 month old a Tupperware of 'exciting' stuff - dried pasta in empty bottle to shake, whisk, wooden spoon, car etc - it occupies him for a little while if on the floor close to me (but away from feet/oven). Helps if I make appreciative noises or sing whilst he chats and bangs.

Difficult though, I share your pain.

RillaBlythe Thu 29-Nov-12 19:13:51

On your back in baby carrier.

rainrainandmorerain Thu 29-Nov-12 19:17:51

put child on the floor, give them saucepans and wooden spoons. put some washing up bubbles in one of the pans (not water, just the bubbles) if your floor can take a little bit of damp. Or create a 'safe' cupboard that is easily accessible with interesting harmless things to be unpacked. Spatulas, tupperware boxes etc. Put a sticker or something on the door so they know it is 'theirs'. This gives you a bit of breathing space to deal with knives/hot pans, and also gives you something to teach the 'that is yours but the other cupboards are Do Not Touch' rule with.

Misty9 Thu 29-Nov-12 19:20:51

Hehe, takeaway was tempting! He was in highchair for a bit, eating Cheerios, but that only occupies him for so long. He loves the Tupperware basket on an open shelf in the kitchen, but 4-5pm is possibly the hardest time of day to satisfy ds as he's tired and a bit hungry (as am I...)

We have a slow cooker but need new inspiration for it as bored with usuals.
Batch cooking I've never really got the hang of. May have to investigate further. Oh, and our freezer's tiny.

I enjoyed dinner at least grin pan fried chicken in tomato and olive sauce, with rice and green beans.

BertieBotts Thu 29-Nov-12 19:23:06

Nope, I couldn't do it when DS was that age either. I used to let XP look after him while I cooked, was my only chance for some peace!!

Alibabaandthe40nappies Thu 29-Nov-12 19:29:11

Oh goodness I wouldn't consider attempting something like that for dinner with a toddler around - it needs far too much supervision!

Cook a casserole in the morning while he naps. Turn the oven on again half an hour before you want to eat - remembering to shove in some jacket potatoes.

The leftovers you can either freeze, or fridge for lunch the following day.

Replace casserole with shepherd's pie, bolognaise, whatever takes your fancy.

CoolaSchmoola Thu 29-Nov-12 19:37:31

In my house I have a baby gate on the kitchen door and a stair gate. Other doors closed, 14 mth DD in hallway with toys.

She can see me, I can see her. She plays, I cook, we chat, sing and occasionally dance.

End result - dinner cooked, baby totally out of harms way but still interacting and happy.

CoolaSchmoola Thu 29-Nov-12 19:40:51

I made a fish pie tonight, spag bol last night etc etc. All from scratch whilst DD played happily. The hallway is childproof - at her height there's only a doormat and her toys.

TwelveLeggedWalk Thu 29-Nov-12 19:42:41

Playpen
<ducks>

Startail Thu 29-Nov-12 19:52:59

Stair gate across the dining room door, at dangerous pasta draining, frying pan spitting moments DD1 could be placed the other side of it.

DD2 would play with toys in the dinning room. So I just closed the gate if necessary.

This clearly only works if you have a helpfully laid out house.

Schmoozer Thu 29-Nov-12 20:24:12

Funpod ! Funpod ! Funpod !
Pop your child in, give them a spud / dry pasta / whatever
Have them on end of your kitchen worktop,
Child is at eye level can watch what you are doing, feels involved,
You get cooking done !

valiumredhead Fri 30-Nov-12 08:01:22

In my house I have a baby gate on the kitchen door and a stair gate. Other doors closed, 14 mth DD in hallway with toys.

We did the same.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now