Talk

Advanced search

Parking, AIBU or is neighbour?

(28 Posts)
SushiPaws Thu 29-Nov-12 18:53:36

Our street is old style council terraces with a thin road down the middle that has traffic calming bollards every few hundred yards where the road goes to single lane. Most people park on one side of the street, across the road from my house.

Some people have changed their small front gardens into drives, the pavement dips and there is a white line across these.The person directly across from me had a drive but this summer he converted it back to a garden and put a fence across, laid turf etc. the white line and dipped pavement is still there.

Most people park in whatever space is free, there are no fixed spots. The man across the road always parks on the white line right outside his house. I usually park behind him, not in front because there is a bollard there for traffic calming.

If anyone parks on the white line outside the mans house, he parks so close to them you couldn't walk between the cars. He thinks its his spot.

Today I came back from the shops with ds asleep in the back of the car. The space I usually park in had a motorbike in it, so I parked as close to the bollard as I could with only about a foot of my car onto neighbours white line. There was plenty of room for his car and mine, I only parked there as I had loads of shopping and a sleeping ds to carry in.

I came out about 30 mins later with ds to go get dd from school. Neighbour had parked about 3 inches away from me, there was about 7-8 foot of space behind him free, then the motorbike.

I could not get my car out, so I knocked on his door and politely asked him to move back. He told me it was his space and if I was stuck, it was my fault. I explained he no longer had a drive so it wasn't reserved anymore and he said it was. I told him i really needed my car to get dd from school and he needed to move it. He told me that wasn't his problem and slammed his door.

So I had to run the mile to school where i only just made it in time to meet dd. And we missed swimming as its the other side of town.

I had to watch outside till he moved and I've now moved my car.

WIBU to park in that spot? I didn't think so, maybe not the cleverest of things to do but I don't see why he should think that spot is his?

quoteunquote Thu 29-Nov-12 18:57:39

Phone 101 and ask if the local police officer could ask him not to block you in.

If you were parked legally and he is deliberately preventing you using your vehicle, then the police will have a word. keep a log number of your complaint.

DontmindifIdo Thu 29-Nov-12 18:58:00

It's not his spot, next time it's free, park directly on the line, not just a bit. If he says anything point out it's a public road and anyone can park there. Even better, if you know someone going on holiday, get them to park there for a fortnight....

biff23 Thu 29-Nov-12 18:58:09

Personally I'd get on to the council and tell them the road didn't need to be clear now and see if they can do anything. He was being very unreasonable in my opinion.

FeckOffCup Thu 29-Nov-12 18:59:45

YANBU, if he has chosen to give his drive up it's no longer his exclusive space. He is a twat, I would be tempted to do the same to him, block his car in between yours and the bollard and see how he likes it if you refuse to move, would probably make things worse though.

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Thu 29-Nov-12 19:01:18

By his logic anybody can make a dropped kerb and thereby get a "reserved" space. I second calling the police non emergency number.

SushiPaws Thu 29-Nov-12 19:01:35

Phew so it looks so far that I'm not unreasonable, thank you.

What is 101?

sixlostmonkeys Thu 29-Nov-12 19:04:37

I'd contact the council as suggested above.

I have a similar neighbour (he won't even move for an emergency vehicle) and so you simply don't get anywhere reasoning with people like this.

If you need to park there again, make sure you leave enough room at the front so he can't block you in. Don't pay any attention the the white line.

monstermissy Thu 29-Nov-12 19:05:47

Did he originally have the drive put in? You hav to pay the council to dip the kerb and for the white line im pretty sure... maybe thats why he thinks he owns the space. If he is that bothered he should of keep his driveway shouldnt he.

mrskeithrichards Thu 29-Nov-12 19:05:53

I don't know where it stands with regards to the white line but that aside yanbu he's a twat.

We have a similar set up 2 rows of house, 8 on one side, 4 on the other no drives on the side everyone parks on. The grumpy cunt opposite us seems to be under the illusion that the space outside his door is his. Sure it's nice to get right outside your door but hardly essential and we're pretty lucky in terms of parking.

He does this trick of parking right up your arse if you're in his space but he stopped doing it to us the time dh put his van right behind him when he was right up my arse. The fool can't park for shit and after 5 minutes of back and forward he had to knock on our door. Dh was normal distance behind him but because he was a baw hair away from me and the fact he can't drive, he was Stuck

Incidentally when we went on holiday my car was in his space for 2 weeks. This must have got him mad because he went to have a go about our new neighbours about their parking and got really aggressive with them about his space. Now the chicken shit next door parks halfway up the street.

TweedSlacks Thu 29-Nov-12 19:06:09

Horrible , Nasty , vindictive old man .
He needs to know that you dont own the road outside your property .
Its an unfortunate fact of life that if someone parks in front of your house ( legally) there is nothing you can do about it .

He must have known when he blocked you in that you live across the road and decided to block you in anyway . Tosser.

I would be writing 'wanker ' in creosote on his lawn , or drawing a massive cock.

jennifer86 Thu 29-Nov-12 19:08:40

YANBU - It's not his space. But I agree with dont, next time just park directly on the line. I think you made it more difficult for yourself by parking directly up against the bollard. Stop treating it as though it's "his" space, and park where you can safely and where you will be able to get your car out again!

RichardSimmonsTankTop Thu 29-Nov-12 19:09:53

What an idiot. Can you put an "I have a tiny cock" bumper sticker on his car?

101 is the non emergency police number.

jennifer86 Thu 29-Nov-12 19:09:56

And I think the poster above meant 112 (non-emergency police number).

EverythingsDozy Thu 29-Nov-12 19:11:17

This is exactly the reason why we are trying to convince BIL to not buy the house he wants because there is no parking whatsoever. Which is exactly the reason the owner hasn't sold it...

101 is the police non emergency number. Its like phoning your local station but an easier number to remember.

YANBU, second the 'park up his arse next time' plan

jennifer86 Thu 29-Nov-12 19:11:50

Sorry, seems I was wrong - It is 101! (sorry for the confusion!) blush

vigglewiggle Thu 29-Nov-12 19:14:05

101 is the non-emergency number. If you dial it you will be automatically put through to the call-centre of the police force area that you are in. It's very clever!

Mintyy Thu 29-Nov-12 19:15:06

Did you say he was an old man SushiPaws.

MousyMouse Thu 29-Nov-12 19:17:27

112 is the european wide emergency number that also works in the uk (and france and germany etc)

cakebar Thu 29-Nov-12 19:24:01

YANBU and because he didn't move when you asked you should ring 101 and ask them to have a word. You were being silly to park so close to the bollard though, do park there again but leave lots of room in front!

cakebar Thu 29-Nov-12 19:24:49

Oh, and email the council about removing the white line.

SushiPaws Thu 29-Nov-12 19:37:18

Oh how I'd love to draw a giant cock on his lawn grin

He's not that old, bit older than me.

I'll email the council and tell them to remove the line as its restricting parking. The line itself is almost long enough to fit two cars.

So glad I wasn't being unreasonable, I know I was a bit silly to park so close to bollard, I was just trying to be nice (will reserve my nice for nice people).

Alisvolatpropiis Thu 29-Nov-12 21:07:46

YANBU.

He sounds like an utter twat. I cannot believe he wouldn't move his car so you could pick your child up from school! Some people are unbelievable!

RabidCarrot Thu 29-Nov-12 21:13:16

What a twat,
Do what you can to get the line removed, then park outside his house the whole time.

ant3nna Thu 29-Nov-12 21:26:27

I thought the white lines meant that no one could park there? Thats what the council told us when we enquired about getting one for our dropped kerb.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now