Talk

Advanced search

To have a few nights of ready meals?

(22 Posts)
stormforce10 Wed 28-Nov-12 18:44:25

I don't love them and I'm not proud of it but DS is teething, DP is away, the school run still has to be done and I'm not well anyway.

So last night we had pizza chips and sweetcorn and tonight birdseye fish pie, courgettes and peas. There is a chicken pie and a bag of microwave steam veg lurking for tomorrow night.

I keep trying to justify it to myself. So tired don't really know what I'm doing at the moment dd is lucky as I nearly fed cat fish pie and her the cat food earlier

Just keep worrying about giving DD rubbish

Gimblinginthewabe Wed 28-Nov-12 18:48:10

oh for goodness sake, the odd pizza isn't going to kill anyone! You are giving them a balance diet including vegetables. A healthy diet is one that is balanced over a period of time, a week of ready meals in dire straits is neither here nor there!

McChristmasPants2012 Wed 28-Nov-12 18:49:10

Yanbu

coldcupoftea Wed 28-Nov-12 18:52:40

My DH is away this week and I bought <whispers> ready-made mashed potato grin .

A bag of veg to steam is not a ready meal, its just veg

And who can be arsed to cook pies from scratch?

Enjoy!

Bearandcub Wed 28-Nov-12 18:55:44

Are you serious?

You haven't served turkey twizzlers, bag of crisps and chocolate bar. There is nothing wrong with what you've served up at all.

greeneyed Wed 28-Nov-12 19:10:29

Your DD eats courgettes and peas? Congratulations!

scarletforya Wed 28-Nov-12 19:20:28

Ha! I have that stuff EVERY DAY OF MY LIFE! You'll be grand !

SugaricePlumFairy Wed 28-Nov-12 19:34:59

Stop worrying. smile

What you've described sounds perfectly fine, courgettes and peas are in that list grin.

Djembe Wed 28-Nov-12 19:36:16

Of course YANBU. How old are your DC?

usualsuspect3 Wed 28-Nov-12 19:39:08

You should leave MN immediately

bedmonster Wed 28-Nov-12 20:03:00

Don't try and justify yourself, they're there to make your life easier when you need it. Everyone will survive, although there's still a lot of veg in there and some fish.

Mrsjay Wed 28-Nov-12 20:06:29

I fail to see what is wrong with your dinners people give themselves such a hard bloody time about cooking you have a balanced dinner for you and your DC give yourself a break,

Mrsjay Wed 28-Nov-12 20:07:21

I rarely use fresh veg always frozen It would be a waste of money for me to buy fresh veg all the time,

FOURBOYSUNDER6 Wed 28-Nov-12 20:12:35

Sounds healthier than most of the nation !!!!!

VioletStar Wed 28-Nov-12 20:19:14

a lifetime of ready meals - yes; but a few days just makes you a normal hardworking mum. Don't sweat it, and give yourself a glass of wine too!

LadyBeagle Wed 28-Nov-12 20:21:53

Is this a stealth boast?

EverlongLovesHerChristmasRobin Wed 28-Nov-12 20:22:27

Dh says that M and S ready meals are nicer than my cooking. The swine. he's right though

cheeseandbiscuitsplease Wed 28-Nov-12 20:23:39

Ha ha come on!!! Don't be hard on yourself when my husband is away for 4-5 nights me and kids eat toasties, takeaways and beans on toast. I cook day in day out - enjoy it - feet up. Us girls work hard!!!

JoandMax Wed 28-Nov-12 20:27:53

That doesn't sound bad at all!!

My DH is away (week 2 of 3 at the mo) and we had chips and fried eggs for tea followed by an orange club biscuit!! I didn't sleep well last night, it's cold and damp and quite frankly I couldn't be arsed.

Both DSes gobbled it up in about 5 seconds.....

stormforce10 Wed 28-Nov-12 20:42:39

No its not a stealth boast. Its just I generally cook from fresh (not always very well grin ) and I've got it into my head there's loads of salt and other stuff I shouldnt give children in ready meals. Dont ask me why but I have

You've all reassured me though thankyou.

I want egg and chips now joandmax with lots of tomato sauce and salt and vinegar

sorry for typing feeding DS fish pie flavoured breast milk

stormforce10 Wed 28-Nov-12 20:43:43

oh and dd is 7 and thankfully pretty good about eating veg except carrots which for some reaons she'll only eat raw and sprouts which shehates

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now