Talk

Advanced search

To put this notice up

(14 Posts)
rubberducky24 Wed 28-Nov-12 16:58:23

I'm mum to an 11 week old and live in a block of 12 flats. I don't know many of my neighbours as some of the flats are rented with new tenants.

My door buzzer has gone 4 times in the few hours I have been home today with deliveries for 3 of my neighbours, none of whom I know.

On each occasion I have answered the buzzer (intercom phone) and let the delivery person in, but have refused to look after the parcels as I would rather not be disturbed in the evenings by the recipients coming to collect them as my DD is a light sleeper. Every time the buzzer has gone it has made my DD cry, one time I was feeding her and it made me jump, so made her jump too and cry for quite a while. Also reading some of the previous threads on here re parcels I don't want to be lumbered with huge deliveries that block the hallway or be accused of stealing/damaging parcels if I have signed for them.

In the run up to Xmas I'm worried that the amount of deliveries to the building will increase significantly and as I'm on mat leave I'm going to become the unofficial parcel minder/door opener for the building and was wondering if IWBU to put a note up to this effect -

"please don't ring the buzzer of flat XX unless delivering to or visiting flat XX - new baby and tired mum trying to get some much needed sleep! Thanks very much"

Also worth pointing out that I live no more than 2 mins walk to the local delivery office so me not keeping parcels is not a massive inconvenience to my neighbours.

WWYD?

SweetMingePie Wed 28-Nov-12 16:59:44

Turn your buzzer off? Probably what half the residents have done anyway.

SoupDragon Wed 28-Nov-12 17:00:06

Seems fine to me. I used to have a similar sign on my front door.

mamababa Wed 28-Nov-12 17:00:06

It's friendly and polite. No problem IMO. Or can you turn off your buzzer?

MisForMumNotMaid Wed 28-Nov-12 17:01:14

Can you turn your buzzer off and give your mobile number to visitors / couriers to ring when they arrive?

The message is polite but some might be amused to ring yours because of it.

DudeIAmSoFuckingRock Wed 28-Nov-12 17:03:18

if you cant turn your buzzer off then i think it's ok to put that up.

Janeatthebarre Wed 28-Nov-12 17:03:19

I think it would be fine. Try it anyway. If people start deliberately ringing to wind you up then turn the buzzer off. Friends and family will text or ring anyway.

HoratiaWinwood Wed 28-Nov-12 17:03:28

Turn buzzer off. Polite notes are like a red rag to a bull when neighbours come home drunk.

When you order for delivery, tell them to call your mobile when they arrive.

I sympathise - I lived in the flat next to the front door when featherlight sleeper DC1 was tiny.angry angry angry

rubberducky24 Wed 28-Nov-12 17:04:10

yes - good idea to try and unplug the buzzer, don't really want to leave myself open to people buzzing my door for amusement! Good point MisForMum

SweetMingePie Wed 28-Nov-12 17:06:56

I used to live in a flat and I was the only one who left my buzzer on. If I turned it off people would just bang on my window for entry. Very annoying!

Gillyweed001 Wed 28-Nov-12 17:11:01

I've put a sign up on my front door on my flat asking that people ringing on my front door to give me time to answer the door as I have a new born baby inside. Delivery guys have been very patient and even apologised for disturbing me. Can't imagine that you will have any issues with your sign. I've got the added bonus that on mine I've also requested no cold callers, which has worked!

ImperialStateKnickers Wed 28-Nov-12 17:11:29

I'd go for the notice, frankly it would need to be a pretty evil drunk neighbour who'd press the button for fun.

HoratiaWinwood Wed 28-Nov-12 17:18:59

Imperial, you'd be amazed.

KarrenS79 Wed 28-Nov-12 17:24:55

No hun thats fine i get that all the time and have a simular notice although i live in a house! x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now