Talk

Advanced search

To Ask Opinions - Charity Volunteer Wind Up - Am I over Reacting or Not ?

(14 Posts)
rockinhippy Wed 28-Nov-12 14:34:06

I am trying work out if I'm on the verge of throwing an arty farty anally retentive, migraine induced hissy fitblush & probably pull out, or if I've really just been pushed too far & NBU at all - genuinely confused

I volunteer for Charity, have done for the last 5 years or more - they have an up coming Fete, where I usually Face Paint - I also do Face Painting & tattoos professionally, no big business, but an aside to my usual work, something that I really enjoy, fetes, parties etc - but this Charity Fete is my using their own very basic kit, & my time & skill are free. Prices charged at this fete are really low as its more for DCs fun than as a fund raiser, but does raise a little IYSWIM.

Recently adding the Tattoos to the fete for older DCs was discussed & agreed - I offered to sort them out with a kit from my wholesale supplier, based on my experience & speaking with other professionals, so buying only designs that we know to sell well & saving them aprox £70 in the process.

I also make a fresh stew for them for sale in the cafe - which has been very popular - so this year I expected to be making more of it as it sold out early last year.

I should add that I gladly offer all of the above, but this time round we have new people running the show & I getting more & more frustrated, to the point where I feel like saying - sod it & pulling out of it all - BUT I am dealing with chronic migraine, so I am well aware I might just be me being tetchy.

I also sympathise that its a new thing for them & no doubt stressful too, so I am trying to be understanding, but finding it a bit difficult as I do feel messed around

The following has so far wound me up…

First contact over my sorting out the Tattoo - I was asked to email the main person all my business contact detailsshock - I politely refused & then ensued the ping pong over what I could buy - I wasted so much time trying to politely explain - again & again what was needed - this was AFTER it was agreed it would all be left to me - they don't want to use the more durable better quality stencils I use, so I then have the job of trying to find a supplier with the best prices that has everything we need for this & a face paint kit top up.

Face paint kit is missing - I've been asking for it since October - I cant order anything until I have it - I finally get it back less than a week before the Fete - its very obviously been used recently & a LOT of stuff is missing -

So I go through it, list what is the least amount of stuff needed to make it serviceable again & then try & get the go ahead

HP is still hopping & changing on the tattoos, very little money allowed to be spent on this - totally missing the point that my getting WHOLESALE prices is based on my buying multiples of the tattoos, which is a new venture for them, so of course will need a cash outlay - & if I order from one place, I can then get a few half price face paints too - so basically a big headache, lot of my time & effort wasted & no real time left to order & still having to deal with what by now are now annoying emails chopping & changing - so I politely retract the tattoo offer, saying no time, & perhaps its best looked at again for the next fete.

No brushes or proper sponges for the face paints, colours missing too, so I offer to use my own kit, which is a full professional kit, but that I expect a nominal amount toward my paint usage, which will mean them charging slightly more - still less than a 1/3 of my usual charge & 20p per face for me, so Im hardly pulling a fast one - this is turned down - because x & y are going to donate their kiddies toy FP kit & it has brushes etc hmm - I've lost count of the number times I've said these kits are rubbish & will slow things down & maybe I'm being over sensitive but it felt like a guilt trip

HP was also concerned that we needed LOADS of volunteer painter help on the day - I've tried to explain time & again, that with only a small kit, that too many volunteers wont help, but will hinder as people waiting around for colours etc & also health & safety needs to be taken into account ( my anally retentive side was horrified last fete at what some volunteers did, let alone the 3 DCs I know of wo were in tears over their poor face painting sad

- basically HP keeps on saying "oh, you are the expert" & then completely ignoring any advise I giveconfused - from a conversation earlier, it now looks like we have 4/5 painter sharing 8 tubs of paint, no brushes at all, unless you provide your own & few inferior rough sponges - I had to laugh when I said I would get them some professional (much quicker to use) sponges & was then presented with bath sponges, complete with foot scrubconfused - but laughing aside it is driving me nuts

I've also now just been asked to make half the stew amount I did last year - its not worth my getting up early to make a fresh pan for the day & will not cost them half the amount - it makes no sense at all

They genuinely seem like nice people & I am sure they have a lot on their plate, but dealing with them this few weeks - I am slowly loosing the will to live

AIBU - or oversensitive & easily stressed because of ongoing migraine - i really cant make my mind up - but part of me wants to tell them - politely - to stick it all - but I want to do it for the actually charity & I enjoy it - though I can see it probably being a nightmare on the day, with too many people fighting over paints sad

rockinhippy Wed 28-Nov-12 14:34:44

OOPs - ramble - sorry - I think I needed to get that off my chest grin

Lovecat Wed 28-Nov-12 14:39:23

Ick. I have pulled out of doing face painting for DD's school fetes for more or less the same reasons (and I'm not a professional by any stretch of the imagination!) - no organisation or communication, no decisions made until it's too late and then to cap it all I arrived the last time I did it to find the committee had printed off incredibly gorgeous, complicated full face designs and stuck them up above where I was doing the painting 'so they can choose' - erm.... no, I do butterflies on cheeks and throw glitter at it in the hope the sparkles hide any wobbly brushwork!

You have my sympathy but I have no advice, I'm afraid sad

TiggyD Wed 28-Nov-12 14:40:16

Give up on everything this year. Let everybody else say it was better when you did it. Ask for complete control next year.

Chill.

buggerama Wed 28-Nov-12 14:42:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bongaloo Wed 28-Nov-12 14:44:27

Do you not want to use your own brushes then?

FlaminNoraImPregnantPanda Wed 28-Nov-12 14:45:04

YANBU I think you need to tell them politely and clearly exactly what you need and how things need to be done and that if they want to do it their way, excuse yourself and leave them too it.

rockinhippy Wed 28-Nov-12 14:57:59

you dont really need to be buying professional sponges do you, I mean really, why is that necessary

Bugger (love the name BTW grin ) its because they were stressing about how to speed things up - the professional sponges make things MUCH quicker & easier & help even a complete novice get a really good finish & yes I know a professional painter isn't needed & I'm not too high end, honestly, I've just bothered to learn how to do it properly because I enjoy it - not saying everyone needs to do that, of course they don't

& yes Bongo I would use my own brushes, I would have done that anyway, but its not ideal, its hard to keep track of brushes when you have your head down painting, especially if it's a bit of a scrum for the paints/kit & I've lost & had brushes trashed in the past & no I don't want to share my brushes, because they are not cheap & I don't see why I should have to really

rockinhippy Wed 28-Nov-12 14:58:52

Thanks for the rest of the replies - food for thought

ClippedPhoenix Wed 28-Nov-12 15:01:19

I think you're being too much of a martyr here and tying yourself in knotts. Just stick to one thing.

rockinhippy Wed 28-Nov-12 15:34:30

Not at all Clipped - its all stuff thats easy enough for me to do & I enjoy doing, so for the most part not tying myself in knots at all & definitely not being a martyr - not my style at all -

Though I do think you are probably right in the tying myself in knots over sorting out the Tattoo kit - I think with hindsight I was trying to be understanding of the fact they are new & it soon became obvious the HP didn't have a clue what they actually were & just didn't seem to get that I was using my contacts to do them a favour - all the tooing & froing over that & all the time I put in trying to accommodate the ever changing brief did leave a nasty taste & in different circumstances I would have probably told them to sod off after the first e-mail asking for my contacts - instead I explained again & again in the hope of getting it all sorted out - really wish I hadn't bothered now, as it was just time & energy down the panhmm

PurpleRayne Wed 28-Nov-12 15:39:37

Don't do it.

plutocrap Wed 28-Nov-12 18:05:28

It sounds as though they don't need, or even want confused a professional. Is there a parent amateur who's happy to step in and get ypu off the hook?

Mynewmoniker Wed 28-Nov-12 18:25:35

What's that?......you had a phonecall to provide your proffessional services elswhere? Leave it this year and let them miss you. wink

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: