Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think that Requiem for a Dream...

(16 Posts)
BalthierBunansa Wed 28-Nov-12 12:13:19

should be mandatory viewing for those, especially teenagers, who have taken drugs/want to take drugs/think drugs are 'cool'? Because I first watched that film 5 years ago and it still haunts me...

QueenofNightmares Wed 28-Nov-12 12:15:23

YANBU I thought after watching it that it should be showed to all school leavers its a very haunting very heart breaking movie.

LDNmummy Wed 28-Nov-12 12:16:20

YANBU

CailinDana Wed 28-Nov-12 12:16:23

YANBU. It gets the message across really well.

DragonMamma Wed 28-Nov-12 12:24:41

YADNBU - one of my all time favourite films.

Lottapianos Wed 28-Nov-12 12:32:45

It's the most disturbing film I have ever seen. The couple end up so totally and utterly degraded by the end. It's sickening to watch. Terrific film but I'm not sure I could sit though it again.

wewereherefirst Wed 28-Nov-12 12:34:34

YANBU.

JackThePumpkinKing Wed 28-Nov-12 12:34:48

YANBU

One of my favourite films. It's amazing how it all descends into hell, and how different they all look at the end.

I've seen it a few times, but not sure I could watch it again tbh. I might. If I'm feeling brave!

HearMyRoar Wed 28-Nov-12 12:39:40

Possibly but then I watched it many years ago when I used to enjoy some recreational substances and it didn't stop me or any one else I know (though i am clean as a whistle these days and don't even drink alcohol).

Perhaps it should also be shown to potential dieters...I still get flashbacks when I go to the fridge in the dark.

Lottapianos Wed 28-Nov-12 12:48:25

Very true HearmyRoar - its not just about illegal drugs, but about addiction and obsession in general.

squoosh Wed 28-Nov-12 12:48:59

A cliched, moralising, pot boiler of a film in my humble opinion.

It's 'message' hits you over the head like a hammer for the full 2 hours. The truth is that most people who try drugs don't end up in a psych ward/having a leg amputated etc. I've never tried hard drugs but this film certainly didn't contribute to that decision.

CindySherman Wed 28-Nov-12 12:52:20

It's a dreadful film. Really silly.

StinkyWicket Wed 28-Nov-12 13:17:19

I only watched it for the first time about 3 months ago. TBH I think Trainspotting is more of a deterrent. RFAD still has Hollywood gloss and over the top drama.

theworldaccordingtome Wed 28-Nov-12 14:36:00

AGREED!

theworldaccordingtome Wed 28-Nov-12 14:36:40

Sorry for shouting btw, but I have been saying this since I first watched it

PeshwariNaan Wed 28-Nov-12 16:48:29

YABU I think it's shite. No serious heroin user would continue to shoot up with an arm like that. Just a completely over-the-top film. (and I love Darren Aronofsky otherwise...)

Now Trainspotting on the other hand... I remember coming out of that at age 17 and thinking "holy crap! I'm never, ever doing drugs!"

(and it worked, at least with the hard stuff!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now