Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To now worry ds present to teacher is rubbish

(29 Posts)
rubberglove Tue 27-Nov-12 16:34:49

My ds has bought his teacher a pretty little wooden sign saying 'best teacher' for xmas.

Given this seems to be a naff idea, should I bin it, give it to charity and get her wine instead?

HairyGrotter Tue 27-Nov-12 16:35:30

Do we have to buy teachers presents?

honeytea Tue 27-Nov-12 16:36:21

No! Did he choose it himself? I think it sounds like a very sweet choice. If you are worried and have the spare cash you could get her a mini bottle of wine to go with it.

NatashaBee Tue 27-Nov-12 16:37:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Namely Tue 27-Nov-12 16:37:20

I love presents like that and would hang it proudly in my classroom.

rubberglove Tue 27-Nov-12 16:41:19

He chose it, along with a little hand-crafted tree decoration. Not tacky! The wooden sign is smallish.

Yes nice idea about writing a note. Might get him to do that in his card

GrimmaTheNome Tue 27-Nov-12 16:41:50

You can't possibly bin/give away something your DS chose for her -if you were thinking of doing that and getting wine instead, get the wine as well.

CocktailQueen Tue 27-Nov-12 16:42:17

It sounds lovely! Give it to her. smile

GrimmaTheNome Tue 27-Nov-12 16:42:59

Oh, if there's a tree decoration as well, that's perfect as is - send the two things with his note.

mrskeithrichards Tue 27-Nov-12 16:43:04

Give it to her

zlist Tue 27-Nov-12 16:43:04

I am a teacher so my DS gives his teacher exactly what I would want for Christmas from a student. A card with a line or two in in. No present. However, I think your gift is nice. Better than wine/chocs. I would have it on/by my desk at work and it would bring a little smile.

PeppermintCreams Tue 27-Nov-12 16:52:53

I think that's lovely.

My son's teacher is getting a card and a salt dough decoration made by my son. I'm vaguely contemplating making a bara brith cake with a "for you to enjoy or share give away " note attached. Nothing fancy at all.

EndoplasmicReticulum Tue 27-Nov-12 18:40:41

If he chose it, it will be fine. I've never had a "best teacher" sign - if I did I'd display in in the classroom.

Doesn't need wine as well. Teachers don't need presents.

I like cards with nice messages in, I keep them all.

1charlie1 Tue 27-Nov-12 18:41:49

I am a teacher. I would love to receive that present! Very sweet.

PuppyMonkey Tue 27-Nov-12 18:43:34

Pmsl at buying a teacher a prezzie grin

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Tue 27-Nov-12 18:57:37

He chose it himself, so she will like it and appreciate it.

MistressIggi Tue 27-Nov-12 20:24:05

If I knew the child had picked it themselves I'd be well chuffed with that.

WorraLiberty Tue 27-Nov-12 20:25:48

Just give it to her.

I doesn't matter if she likes it or not as she's not going to open it in front of him and say "Ewwwww" grin

whathasthecatdonenow Tue 27-Nov-12 20:25:58

I'd be very happy to receive something like that. I'm secondary and we shed tears in the staffroom if we receive anything!

ImperialBlether Tue 27-Nov-12 20:46:10

You should be in a sixth form, whathasthecatdonenow! We'd have a heart attack if someone bought us anything.

EnolaAlone Tue 27-Nov-12 21:24:35

No don't bin it, I'm sure the teacher will appreciate it.

CheckpointCharlie Tue 27-Nov-12 21:29:36

Ahhh, sweet. I still have one from my first year in teaching, it has moved house with me and everything! She will love it.

fluffypillow Tue 27-Nov-12 21:29:39

Don't bin it! I'm sure it will be just fine smile

MrsMushroom Tue 27-Nov-12 21:38:25

I always feel odd about not getting the teaching assistants much more than some tins of sweets! I give the teacher a gift from DD but can''t run to all the assistants too!

Dysgu Tue 27-Nov-12 21:41:59

I am a teacher and have a lovely collection of similar gifts from over the years. It is always lovely if the children have a part in choosing a gift.

That said, I do especially appreciate a hand-made card (by the child i.e. folded piece of A4 paper with drawing on the front) with a thoughtful comment inside.

As a parent, I send in homemade Oreo truffles (really simple but lovely) for teachers and TAs along with a card from the relevant DD.

At the end of the school year I make a point of writing a comment in a card to express my gratitude for the time and effort the staff have put into helping and supporting (whichever) DD. That may change but the early years have been great for DDs because teachers and TAs have done that extra bit to help - particularly with the pastoral side of things.

Any boxes of chocolate that I receive at Christmas are donated to the local NICU at the hospital. I am always very grateful to the children/parents who give them to me and do tell the staff where they come from when we make our annual visit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now