Talk

Advanced search

to let my 7.5 yr old stay up all night

(20 Posts)
realcoalfire Tue 27-Nov-12 09:54:32

A club my dd goes to is having an all nighter for their xmas party.They try to stay awke all night and play games, watch films, make up performances etc.
I don't want her to as I think we will have a monster on our hands for several days afterwards but that apparently makes me the meanest mummy ever!
wwyd

KenLeeeeeee Tue 27-Nov-12 09:57:58

YANBU to not want her to go! That's madness at 7 years old. Hell, I couldn't pull an all-nighter now.

squeakytoy Tue 27-Nov-12 10:01:05

Sounds ridiculous for such a small child. And completely unnecessary too. How do the other parents feel about it?

Saski Tue 27-Nov-12 10:02:00

I'd probably allow it in the summer holidays, but I'd be paranoid it would leave her too tired and susceptible to the VOMITING BUG.

realcoalfire Tue 27-Nov-12 10:03:30

It's on a Friday and they will be back at school on the Monday.They are aged about6-16 so not all littlies!

tiggytape Tue 27-Nov-12 10:10:47

Sounds like a pretty daft idea. A sleepover with not much sleep is fun but trying to keep tired 6 year olds awake all night on purpose just sounds like a bad idea.

Stupid! YANBU!

Although even with all the will power in the world, I doubt a 7yo could stay up all night!

My boys went to a cubs sponsored stay-awake-athon last year. Think the plan was to stay up all night. They were very excited and chattered on about being awake the whole time etc etc.

They were fast asleep by 9pm grin

whoneedssleepanyway Tue 27-Nov-12 10:18:20

What about compromise and pick her up at midnight?

steppemum Tue 27-Nov-12 10:32:21

My dds class had a class sleepover last friday at school. She had said she didn't want to go, then realised everyone else was going. Thing is she has been running under the weather for 2 weeks, nothing much, just cold and cough.

I said no. I knew if she went she would end up getting properly poorly and missing her choir concert and stuff she wanted to do. (she is rarely sick, but does really need her sleep)

We had floods of tears and distress on friday and I felt mean, but I think it is at times like this that we have to make the decision for our dcs as adults with a better understanding of the world.
As it is she is at home sick today, so I am really glad I said no.

She will stay up on NY eve and I would allow it at another time of year, or if she had been really healthy.
Stick to your guns.

steppemum Tue 27-Nov-12 10:33:22

dinosaurs, my son would have been up at 2 am, he was on his birthdya sleepover....

wonderingsoul Tue 27-Nov-12 10:40:56

arr i think its a great idea they will talk about staying up all night.. but in realty i bet most if not all of them will be asleep by 10 the latest. if not well its a once in a while thing. their sleep well the next night im sure.

id let mine go, theyd love it

Gubbins Tue 27-Nov-12 11:09:04

My 8 year old daughter and two of her friends occasionally have sleep overs at each others houses. Everytime they set themselves the target of staying awake until midnight; every time they fail. (11:45 is their best time yet.) My six year old has no truck with such nonsense and even if at a special occasion party with the other kids still charging round like loons, she'll find the quietest bedroom and take herself off to bed as soon as she feels tired, around 9:30.

So I'd be quite happy to let mine go, as long as there is a quiet corner with mattresses or mats and blankets down for those who can't make it through the night.

niceguy2 Tue 27-Nov-12 11:13:26

Inspired idea! They stay up all night somewhere else meaning some child free time. Then they return home the next day and you pack her off to bed for some sleep meaning peace & quiet!

One all nighter isn't going to kill her and it sounds to me more like the reason you are not keen is because you fear you cannot manage her behaviour after. Just agree as long as she promises to sleep after.

Chances are she'll fall asleep there anyway.

realcoalfire Tue 27-Nov-12 11:13:33

The thing that concerns me is they said that last time the earliest to sleep was 4am!!

niceguy2 Tue 27-Nov-12 11:17:55

One night won't kill her. Sure she may be grumpy the next day. Shove her in bed for a few hours. She'll have fun.

It's xmas. Let her have some fun!

pigletmania Tue 27-Nov-12 11:29:41

It sounds a very stupid thing to do for a little child. Try keeping a little child who has been awake all day, awake till 4am. Madness no I would not let her go, you are te aren't and she is still only little

pigletmania Tue 27-Nov-12 11:30:07

Meant you are the parent

Alisvolatpropiis Tue 27-Nov-12 12:02:45

YANBU but on the other hand...it's quite likely she will fall asleep earlier rather than later.

I don't think not letting her go makes you mean though.

Purple2012 Tue 27-Nov-12 12:13:48

They won't stay up all night. They just get excited thinking they will.

When my nephews come to stay they make a den to sleep in and then have a midnight feast - which is at 9pm but they don't know that. Then they happily go to sleep thinking they have been really cool having stayed up late enough for a midnight feast.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now