Talk

Advanced search

To think I have reasons to be tired

(12 Posts)
Lollydaydream Mon 26-Nov-12 12:53:30

I've been told by my mum (and dh) that I should be going to the Dr because I'm tired. Now I agree a multivitamin would be good but I don't see that a Dr is going to tell me anything other than get some rest. I have 2 dcs, 4 and 2 who I am at home with and I also do around 20hrs a month freelance work at home. My mum has dd2 for a few hours once a week. Dd1 has had speech problems and has just started school, dd2 had a brain injury and has just started SLT and physio so I have a certain amount of anxiety around their development and of course lots of appointments etc to go to in addition to the usual swimming and groups etc. dd2 had a wheezing episode last week so I was up in the night and off to the drs etc I then managed to get an upset stomach, faint and hit my nose; I bled quite a bit and I think unsurprisingly felt wobbly and tired so asked my mum to have dd2 while dd1 is at school so I can go back to bed; which she gas agreed to but with ' a you should go to drs, you are always tired'. AIBU to think that I have reason to be tired and want to have a bit if a break.

SoldeInvierno Mon 26-Nov-12 12:58:34

it does sound like you have many reasons to be tired. However, if you start thinking your tiredness if beyond normal, it can't harm to have your thyroid function checked. A simple blood test will tell your GP if your thyroid is ok or not.

I put up with tiredness for years thinking it was due to my busy life, and eventually I found out my thyroid was not functioning at all. I wish I had had it checked sooner.

KellyEllyChristmasBelly Mon 26-Nov-12 12:59:53

I think without taking anything else into account having young children is very tiring. I have a 3 year old, work 32 hours a week and no DP and I feel exactly the same as you - exhausted. I think it's normal.

fromparistoberlin Mon 26-Nov-12 13:00:23

kost of us have 2/children and ether work, or care for them so not the best place to ask!!!

gtet it checked out I'd say

KenLeeeeeee Mon 26-Nov-12 13:03:49

Well it can't hurt to at least rule out an underlying medical cause. Could be thyroid, could be anaemia. Could just be that you have a hectic family life and don't get enough rest!

ChippingInLovesAutumn Mon 26-Nov-12 13:07:37

That would have most people on their knees.

It can come across as insensitive to tell someone with every reason to be absolutely shattered that they should get it checked out because they are tired all the time. 'Of course I'm fucking tired - with bloody good reason!' is the natural response. However, as well as having every good reason to be tired, you might have something that could be helped - it woudn't hurt to find out would it.

dreamingbohemian Mon 26-Nov-12 13:09:40

I agree that it couldn't hurt to get checked out. I was always tired and assumed it was just the usual, young DC + work, but turns out I have a blood pressure problem and was given medication that -- I kid you not -- got rid of about 80% of my fatigue an hour after I started taking it.

Other than that, is there any way you could get a bit more rest? Could your DH do more in any way?

And yes, take your vitamins! smile

Wingdingdong Mon 26-Nov-12 13:14:24

I have 8m DS and 3y DD. DD also has health issues - minor ones like speech, ophthalmology, reflux, etc so slightly concerning niggles and a lot of appointments rather than anything life-threatening or to lose sleep about. I was extremely tired, ached all over, fainted, etc. saw an osteopath for my back who told me to go the GP and ask for blood tests for vit/mineral deficiencies. I'd put it down to 2 kids, lots of carting around, etc. The osteopath's client base is mostly mothers of 2 or more and she was certain that this level of tiredness is not usual.

Turns out that despite taking a prenatal/postnatal multivitamin for the past 6 years, I'm vit D and calcium deficient.

So yes, YABU. You do need to go to the doctor's.

mercibucket Mon 26-Nov-12 13:18:33

Another voice of reason!
Yes, go get some blood tests done
I am v similar and have lots of reasons to be tired, but it turned out an underactive thyroid wasn't helping either. Wish I'd gone to the GP earlier

mercibucket Mon 26-Nov-12 13:18:35

Another voice of reason!
Yes, go get some blood tests done
I am v similar and have lots of reasons to be tired, but it turned out an underactive thyroid wasn't helping either. Wish I'd gone to the GP earlier

impty Mon 26-Nov-12 13:18:47

Go to the doctors! Rule out any medical problem, which may be easily resolved. If you are fine you get to say, "I told you so!" to everybody else.

spotsdots Mon 26-Nov-12 13:56:20

Please see the doctor atleast to rule out any medical reasons for your tiredness.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now