Talk

Advanced search

to think that workfare at Christmas instead of paid temp work is just fucking wrong.Shoe Zone.

(151 Posts)
Darkesteyes Fri 23-Nov-12 18:11:32

Found this on Twitter.

profiting from workfare; encourage organisations to pledge to boycott it; and actively inform people of their rights.

Know your rights! Visit consent.me.uk and donotsign.com

Workfare in Shoe Zone this Christmas
Posted: November 23rd, 2012 | Author: boycottworkfare | Filed under: Uncategorized | 2 Comments »
This week, Boycott Workfare has been contacted by a concerned member of staff working at high street retailer Shoe Zone. Their first hand experience, which they bravely wanted to share with us all, provides yet more evidence that workfare is replacing paid jobs. As with Argos and Superdrug, Shoezone are using ?work experience? from the job centre to cover the busy Christmas period instead of employing temporary staff or giving current staff the option of over-time. Here is their story:

?I work in Shoe Zone in the south east. This week our manager has held three ?interviews? with people sent from the job centre. They are to help us for up to 30 hours a week for 8 weeks over the Christmas period. One of them stated he would only be getting his bus fare paid by the job centre. This is to be called ?work experience?. If there is work to do over Christmas surely we could hire staff for 8 weeks in a proper fashion? I am sickened that my manager imagines they are doing these people a favour of some sort to ?let them experience work?. I get the feeling that head office will be very pleased with themselves too to keep a store running smoothly over Christmas without actually using any extra resources, when these work experience placements can pick up the slack.

The three people start today on this ?work experience? and I am terrified by the idea that head office think they don?t need to pay their staff and can run a store with people from the job centre. i myself am on part-time minimum wage and if they can have workers for free now what is to stop them making my position redundant and using job centre people to run the store at no cost to themselves? If my hours are cut next year, i shall know why.

I do not feel its right these people will be expected to do the same work as our usual staff. Even worse, i will be expected to keep an eye on them to make sure no mistakes are made when pulling stock and writing labels etc- extra work we could do without at Christmas time. They will not be authorised to use the tills or ordering system but everything else including dealing with customers, they will be expected to do. Its a disgrace. I fear for the safety of my job at the moment and in the future if this ?work experience? continues.?

WildWorld2004 Sat 24-Nov-12 22:36:05

Givemeaclue my brother has been unemployed for a few years. Not for lack of trying. Hes still unemployed unfortunately. He is well educated & hard working. He always gets good feedback from workfare but as always there is never a job at the end of it because there is someone waiting from the jobcentre to take his place.

We live in an area with little unemployment. It could have something to do with the majority of companies we have here are part of workfare.

Sunnywithachanceofshowers Sat 24-Nov-12 23:19:29

ElectricMonk Shelter have no involvement in the Workfare scheme.

Darkesteyes Sat 24-Nov-12 23:30:38

Electric Monk i see what you are saying but there are people being forced onto workfare who have previously worked for a long time and paid National Insurance while doing so. So if they do workfare they have effectively paid for their Jobseekers twice over!
WildWorld a few weeks back it was revealed that the ONS do NOT count workfarers as unemployed.
Wild World your DB always gets good feedback from workfare? Blimey how many times have they made him do it.

picnicbasketcase Sat 24-Nov-12 23:39:24

It's awful and I can't believe anyone is in favour of it. Luring people in to work for nothing so their benefits aren't taken away, with the idea that there could be permanent employment at the end of it, when in fact they will get rid of them and then take another batch of people and not pay them either. How is that fair to anyone but the businesses? Disgusting.

WildWorld2004 Sat 24-Nov-12 23:53:27

Picnic a lot of employers tell workfare workers before they start that there is no job at the end of the placement.

My brother has done 3 or 4 placements. Every few months he gets sent to one. All telling him that there is no job at the end of it. However hardly any of his friends who are in the same situation as my brother have done workfare. So even that is unfair. Not everyone who has been unemployed for a certain amount of time gets sent to it. Its whoever the people at the jobcentre or whoever pick to do it.

DefiniteMaybe Sat 24-Nov-12 23:58:30

Workfare is pathetic. My brother was sent on a placement, one of his scheduled "work" days was on the same day as his sign in day. He asked the job centre what he should do. He was told to go and sign on then go to his placement. He did as he was told and the employer reported him to the job centre for being late and he got sanctioned for 3 months. 3 months with NO money. It is used as an excuse to make people lose their benefits not to make them work for them.

MacAndCheese Sun 25-Nov-12 00:01:16

I think that some sort of work experience related to the skills/interests and experience of the jobseeker would be a good idea.

But it shouldn't be FT for benefits and with no chance of a job at the end of it. That's exploitation.

I was unemployed until the beginning of November. I'm now a Christmas Temp hoping to be kept on after the festive period. If I don't, at least I'll get a good reference out of it - but if I do get the option I'll be taking it as there aren't any childcare jobs in the local vicinity. I say that there aren't any - a more accurate way of putting it is that nobody wants me.

It wasn't because I was being too choosy that I haven't worked since May hmm it's a sign of the times.

Tortington Sun 25-Nov-12 00:05:50

it really is disgusting. profit making for the rich and limiting the number of ral jobs available for job seekers.

it is really wrong.

I have no objection to the principle of workfare, there are plenty of things one could make the umeployed do - but that would not make tory friends richer and would actually cost money in terms of resources - thinking about the benefit to the volunteer rather than the company

VestaCurry Sun 25-Nov-12 00:06:43

While there's a supply of cheap (ha ha ha did I say 'cheap' I mean FREE!!!!) labour lined up, there will be VERY few jobs that come out of a scheme like this and once someone is unlucky enough to be caught in a job centre's grasp, they'll be shoved out to said scheme ad infinitum because them a box can be ticked to fill a spurious quota for a half-wit minister to spout at a despatch box.

Why? BECAUSE THE MAJORITY OF EMPLYOYERS WILL GET AWAY WITH IT IF THEY CAN AND THEY CAN BECAUSE THERE ARE NO JOBS.

Darkesteyes Sun 25-Nov-12 00:06:51

WildWorld and Definate if that were me id be talking to the Guardian.
Definate that employer had a bloody cheek. He was "using" an unemployed person so he must have known he would need "time off" to sign on at some point That employer was an arsehole as well.
WildWorld 3 or 4 placements He must be totally disheartened and demorolized by now. Its sick.

VestaCurry Sun 25-Nov-12 00:08:07

'them' a job.....indeed...then a job

WildWorld2004 Sun 25-Nov-12 00:14:00

I think its getting close to the point where he thinks he will never find a job so whats the point in trying.

ParsingFancy Sun 25-Nov-12 00:30:47

Workfarers not counted as unemployed? When they're receiving JSA?

So the recent "fall in unemployment" might be complete bollocks?

FFS. I know headline figures can be dubious anyway, because they conceal underemployment (part-time jobs), but actively subtracting JSA workfarers is intentional manipulation.

Any chance of a link to details about this, please, Darkesteyes?

Darkesteyes Sun 25-Nov-12 00:43:43

Parsing Fancy I found this.

consent.me.uk/avoidworkfare/stats/

Darkesteyes Sun 25-Nov-12 00:46:42

From the same link.

In accordance with international guidelines, all those in government
supported training and employment programmes are defined as being in
employment. Such people cannot therefore be classified as unemployed as no
one can be both employed and unemployed at the same point in time.
The claimant count measures all people who claim Jobseeker’s Allowance.
The only relevant factor in determining whether someone is in the claimant
count or not is whether or not they are claiming JSA. It is not correct to
say that all people on the claimant count are unemployed.

Darkesteyes Sun 25-Nov-12 00:48:02

johnnyvoid.wordpress.com/2012/08/26/how-the-dwp-manufactures-falling-unemployment-figures/

Darkesteyes Sun 25-Nov-12 00:49:33

johnnyvoid.wordpress.com/2012/10/17/unemployment-is-not-falling-dont-believe-the-hype/

Darkesteyes Sun 25-Nov-12 00:51:44

unemployment figures

You report that unemployment is rising in Scotland while it is falling in the United Kingdom as a whole ("Unemployment in Scotland rises again", The Herald, October 17).

inShare.

Every Government finds new ways to massage the employment figures.

The UK Government is counting people on its Welfare to Work or Workfare programmes as employed, as confirmed by the Department of Work and Pensions and the Office for National Statistics (ONS) replies to freedom of information requests published on the Informed Consent blog at www.consent.me.uk/workfare- unemployed.

Workfare makes unemployed people work unpaid for private firms, including Conservative party donors, or else lose their benefits.

ONS figures, and research by the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development, found half of all people counted as newly employed are on Workfare, government training schemes, or self-employed; mostly in part-time low-paid jobs such as gardening and cleaning, in which they may be worse off, losing benefits they received when unemployed.

The private firms involved are grossly overpaid by the Government, but its own research shows Workfare and training schemes do not help people on them get jobs.

Even on the ONS figures, unemployment was at 2.51 million when this Government came to power in May 2010. It is now at 2.53m, even on their figures.

The DWP admitted last year it had targets for the number of people to be denied benefits, while whistleblowers alleged that staff fear being punished if they don't meet those targets. .

This may explain the fall of 4000 in the Jobseeker's Allowance claimant count.

Duncan McFarlane,

Beanshields Farm,

Braidwood, Carluke

Molepomandmistletoe Sun 25-Nov-12 08:22:40

All workfare is and shall ever be is free labour to those with "links" to the government and a new way to manipulate the unemployment figures.

cheerup Sun 25-Nov-12 08:32:11

I do not get this government's approach to economic recovery. People who work for free have no money to spend nor do those who have been made redundant from the public sector. Private sector employees are ultra aware of job insecurity and so not exactly wanting to splash the cash (with the exception of a relatively small proportion of very well paid professionals in secure careers). So who's shopping and how much of what those who are shopping buy is made in the UK? If we don't buy, sell or make stuff how are things ever going to improve?

Pochemuchka Sun 25-Nov-12 08:50:20

Knew this would be you darkesteyes - glad you keep reminding us of the disgusting practices of these money grabbing companies.

Things desperately need an overhaul.
Anything that is a paid job, needs to be paid.
How can it be justified that two people doing exactly the same job will get such different pay? One only getting their bus fare in some cases!
What about equality?
This is just out and out exploitation and is a step backwards.

I don't think there's any harm doing small community related things for a few hours a week but these companies should not be involved.

I would also like to see a list of the greedy companies who give people 8 - 16 hour contracts and force them to top up their hours with overtime so they can pay less holiday/maternity etc.

I know a few people who rely on increased hours at Christmas and aren't getting them this year. They're being passed over in favour of these work experience placements etc even though they've worked there for years.

WildWorld2004 Sun 25-Nov-12 08:56:16

I am one of those people working under 16 hours. My contract is 8 hours per week & i cant remember the last time i only worked my contract hours. The company expect you to work when they want you & get annoyed if you cant. Some weeks i will be working 10 hours others 20 hours. I cant get another job that will fit in & i cant claim wtc. I am stuck. Why are companies allowed to treat people like this?

FlangelinaBallerina Sun 25-Nov-12 09:27:47

I usually buy a cheap pair of ugg copies from Shoezone for wearing around the house each winter, and so does my mum. Not this year.

DefiniteMaybe has your brother appealed? When did this happen? There is a 1 month deadline for appealing but sometimes they will accept out of time appeals if there is a good reason. He would need to fill in a GL24 form, you can get them online.

DefiniteMaybe Sun 25-Nov-12 10:06:36

He did appeal and got turned down. Hes managed to get some work with an agency now, but it is temporary on a week by week basis. It is proper paid employment though not slave labour like workforce. There have been no seasonal jobs at all advertised in this area.

flow4 Sun 25-Nov-12 10:21:40

No, there are no seasonal jobs here either sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now