Talk

Advanced search

Should I look after my 9 month old niece when the rest of her family have norovirus?

(17 Posts)
Simpkins Fri 23-Nov-12 12:24:13

I am supposed to be looking after my lovely niece for the night, but just spoken to dsis to confirm the arrangements and the whole of their family are laid flat with norovirus (or something like it, really nasty d&v that has been ongoing for 12 hours so far with no sign of respite. (Not dn though, apparently she is still a picture of health luckily)

My sister and her other two children are riddled (sis is lone parent so no oh to assist her) and if the baby hasn't got the bug yet I would want to help her prevent getting it! Plus my sis is feeling rotten of course and so looking after her littlest would be hard work. Added on top of that she goes back to work after maternity leave on Monday and so if the baby gets a nasty bug she would have to take time off for that which wouldn’t look good (she also works in a healthcare environment )

If it does transpire that dn is incubating the bug and gets ill while she's with us, I have said to my sister that I'll bring her back- mainly because she'll want her mum and being so little I'd be worried about dehydration- as my sister obviously knows her better she would be more able to gauge what is "normal" for her own daughter.

But I am worried about infecting the rest of my family (even though I would be scrupulous re: hygiene) - dh is self employed and if he has to take time off work he won't get paid.

DH thinks I am absolutely bonkers to even consider it but if I am really really cautious with hygiene (won't go as far as putting her in quarantine though!) then it should be ok, shouldn't it?

ForCannedHalls Fri 23-Nov-12 12:39:34

Tricky one. I would be inclined to I think based on the fact your DSis is going back to work. But totally understand your DH's reluctance. Can you make sure you keep out of the way of the remainder of your family so as to minimise the risk?

MolotovCocktail Fri 23-Nov-12 12:40:11

Personally, I wouldn't as the little one could be incubating it. Plus, I assume you'd need to have contact with your sister to collect/drop off your DN?

You sound lovely as caring, but I'd play it safe and contain the germs.

attheendoftheday Fri 23-Nov-12 12:40:16

I think I would do it, it's the kind thing to do, but you wouldn't be unreasonable if you don't want to.

MolotovCocktail Fri 23-Nov-12 12:41:14

'and' caring, I mean ... blush

FantasticMax Fri 23-Nov-12 12:44:38

I would, for my sister. I probably wouldn't do it for anyone else though!

mum11970 Fri 23-Nov-12 12:46:11

I would still have the baby to stay. Could it possibly be something your dsis and other two children ate and that's why the lo hadn't picked it up.

AdoraJingleBells Fri 23-Nov-12 12:46:32

It's a lovely tought, but I wouldn't risk bringing the virus into my home and family. Had it last year, don't want it again, thankswink. Is there anything else you do for sis?

Simpkins Fri 23-Nov-12 12:54:53

ForCannedHalls- DH is away tomorrow daytime so that would work, but does mean that I would not be able to avoid my own two dc (much as that sometimes appeals ;)).

Mum11970, the elder two caught it from their dad when they were with him- he's been off work since Tuesday with it himself. So think its a bug rather than food poisoning.

Poor things. Will send emergency loo roll supplies.

mycatlikestwiglets Fri 23-Nov-12 13:17:35

DB did this for DN when other DB and DSIL came down with norovirus. Unfortunately by the evening DN had come down with it too. By the next day DB and his DC were all throwing up. I can understand why you want to help but chances are your DN is incubating it already. I wouldn't take her unless you're prepared for your family to get ill too - norovirus is very contagious sad

FireOverBabylon Fri 23-Nov-12 13:18:07

Is there anywhere that DH can stay away from you - at his mum's etc? Just so that he's safe from the lurgy?

If there is, then have your niece but I wouldn't if there isn't - your family has too much to lose if your DH is ill.

I know that your sister is supposed to be going back to work on Monday but she shouldn't be, particularly if she works in a healthcare environment, if she's still got V&D today as it's unlikely she'll be 48 hours clear before going back to work.

Simpkins Fri 23-Nov-12 13:20:25

Adora I do help out where I can, she's got some difficult shift-juggling to do coming up and as she's on her own it it hard for her. DH thinks she takes the mick a bit, but his family is different so don't think he understands how on her own she is (our dad is not about and mum is less than forthcoming- she will step in if push comes to shove but doesn't she ever complain about it! Nobody else about for this weekend though as mum is away. )

ginnybag Fri 23-Nov-12 17:03:37

I was going to ask if you could go there, but then caught the comment about your being on your own with your DC, so that won't work!

It really does depend if you're willing for your own DC (and you, and DH) to get what sounds like a nasty bug. If the eldest's Dad has been poorly since Tues, then your sis isn't going to be fit for work by Monday anyway. Tell her to call in now and (maybe) volunteer to have any of the older ones once they've been DV free for more than 24 hours.

How old are your own kids? If yours are older, I might think about it. I wouldn't be willing to expose young children to this unnecessarily - they'll be miserable and it can take littlies weeks to bounce back fully from a bad bout.

strumpetpumpkin Fri 23-Nov-12 17:08:42

i would say no, OR i would say yes, but as long as she helps you if yours come down with it, and then go out now and stock pile on echinacea and probiotics

IHeartKingThistle Fri 23-Nov-12 17:10:26

Sorry but not a chance. I will do anything for anyone (to a fault, to be honest) but I draw the line at D and V.

scarletfingernail Fri 23-Nov-12 17:18:43

I wouldn't. If your sister has been looking after the baby while ill herself there's a very high chance the baby will come down with it over the next day or so. As much as you want to help our sister out it's not fair on your own DC to bring it knowingly into your house. Norovirus is vile.

Horrible for your sister though being ill herself and having to look after 3 DC, 2 of whom are ill. Hopefully she'll start feeling better soon so by the time the baby gets it it'll be a bit easier.

Twiddles Fri 23-Nov-12 17:34:51

If they really have norovirus,
Its so contagious, its almost certain that baby will be coming down withit, unless she has already had it,
I Wouldnt because you will be brnging norovirus into your home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now