Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To just not do party bags?

(34 Posts)
stella1w Thu 22-Nov-12 18:24:45

5 birthday, whole class invited, entertainer, but could be 35 children, not including sibs. The absolute cheapest i could do for a gift would be a book for a quid and kids will not be impressed, neither will they appreciate a low budget party bag. So i,d like to save 35 to 70 quid. Will there be a huge outcry? Or is it ok?

spottybotts Thu 22-Nov-12 18:30:28

Yanquis but I would do sweet cones. You can get them from ebay and make them up yourself.

spottybotts Thu 22-Nov-12 18:30:53

Yanquis?? I meant Yanbu

LynetteScavo Thu 22-Nov-12 18:30:59

How will you indicate to them it's the end of the part?

When you have a line of small children standing infront of you saying "Thank you for inviting me." with an expectant look on their face, are you happy to say "Thank you for coming", wave and hope they leave?

If so, don't do party bags.

Personally, I would hand out a slice of pre-cut cake and a balloon to indicate going home time.

monsterchild Thu 22-Nov-12 18:34:35

Party bags are expected? I did not know this.

YANBU to not give kids something they don't want. I think balloons are fine.

freddiefrog Thu 22-Nov-12 18:37:55

I used to buy packs of books from The Book People or Redhouse. You can get a pack of 10 Ben 10 books for less than a tenner.

Book and a bit of cake. Job done for a quid a head

Startail Thu 22-Nov-12 18:37:57

Cake, mini chocolate bar a few colourful sweets. DCs will be fine and mums will be delighted. No tat!!!

I found a balloon in my pocket today. My DDs haven't been to that sort of party for years.hmm

OK I do try to avoid wearing my hiking waterproof as it has stupid stick to everything velcro

vodkaanddietirnbru Thu 22-Nov-12 18:38:08

some sweets, a bit of cake, maybe a bag of crisps and thats the party bag done - doesnt have to have a piece of tat gift in it. It is a good way to signal the end of the party too - get a gift bag and go home!

freddiefrog Thu 22-Nov-12 18:38:32

Oops, didn't read OP properly.

Sorry!!!!

mrskeithrichards Thu 22-Nov-12 18:38:35

I second sweet cones I made 30 for about 12 quid.

Top tip - use lots of flumps!

Startail Thu 22-Nov-12 18:38:48

However tonight I need it and probably a boat too

LadyKinbote Thu 22-Nov-12 18:39:50

I would say that a five year old would definitely appreciate a low budget party bag! It's obviously a pain and an extra expense but I think it's good to end on a high rather than a room full of children whining "but where's my party bag?" while their parents shush them and look embarrassed grin

MsVestibule Thu 22-Nov-12 18:40:06

Around here, party bags are absolutely essential! It doesn't matter what tat is in there, they need one. I'm guessing your DD has been to a few parties by now - has she always had one? If so, are you happy for your DD's party to be the one that breaks that trend?

mrskeithrichards Thu 22-Nov-12 18:41:33

Or get those punch balloon things, chuck a few sweeties inside, blow up and huzzah! You'll need a lot of puff.

I think it's expected and fair enough, people get presents for the birthday child, arrange their days to accommodate the party etc so it's only police's

freddiefrog Thu 22-Nov-12 18:41:40

The sweetie cones are popular round here

You can get the bags quite cheaply from eBay

wonderingsoul Thu 22-Nov-12 18:41:46

no i wouldnt not with a big party like this..
i dont do normally party bags. as the tat just gets broken. so i tend to do funky ones or last week did x maxs dvds from pound land. with sweets. and a balloon. but i only had 11 children.

i would just put bit of party cake in a bag. a balloon. some sweets and maybe print out some pictures on line for them to colour in.

missymoomoomee Thu 22-Nov-12 18:45:46

Get some of the tat that you usually get for party bags wrap (to be even cheaper get one of those pinata packs) them up individually with a pack of haribo, put in a bag with some shredded paper and do a lucky dip each child gets one thing and a slice of cake. Job done for about a tenner.

peasepudding Thu 22-Nov-12 18:45:58

Punch balloons is a great idea

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Thu 22-Nov-12 18:48:21

You have to have party bags or a gift of some kind.

AllOverIt Thu 22-Nov-12 18:52:41

Where do you buy the bags from. I can't see them on eBay, other than the pre-filled ones blush

mrskeithrichards Thu 22-Nov-12 18:53:41

I'm full of them!

<off to start party bag facebook business>

mrskeithrichards Thu 22-Nov-12 18:54:13

Cellophane cones search for

stormforce10 Thu 22-Nov-12 18:54:36

I'd do a roll of stickers - you can get 9-12 rolls in boxes from Pound Shop, a bottle of bubbles - 6 packs in pound shop usally a balloon and a slice of cake - job done for about 50p-60p a head. Get colored sandwich bags with stickers to close them if you don't want to splash out on actual party bags.

Sorry 5 year olds expect them grin

vodkaanddietirnbru Thu 22-Nov-12 18:54:47

amazon have them www.amazon.co.uk/Pack-50-Pattern-Cellophane-Display/dp/B005L9ZDW0/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_2 - dont know if thats a good price or not

stormforce10 Thu 22-Nov-12 18:56:12

These are the sandwich bags I mean

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now