Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Crisps. AIBU or are the crisp companies taking the crunch?

(38 Posts)
LadyMaryChristmas Thu 22-Nov-12 17:24:12

I like crisps. I'm terrible, I can eat packets of them if I buy them. I popped into Nero's for a hot chocolate and a packet of salt and vinegar crisps (yum!), only to discover that the packet was 1/3 full, and the rest was...air. As was the packet behind, the one behind that, the one behind that...

I went to Saindbods and the Walkers were the same. What's happening to my snacks? sad

TacticalWheelbarrow Thu 22-Nov-12 17:25:31

Apparently all the air keeps them "fresh".

hmm

LadyMaryChristmas Thu 22-Nov-12 17:27:09

That's bollocks. There was never an issue with 'freshness' when there used to be more in the packets. I refuse to pay 75p for 1/3 of a bag. I feel ripped off.

Justforlaughs Thu 22-Nov-12 17:28:14

It's too encourage healthy living, it's much better for you to only eat 3 crisps than 20! grin

treas Thu 22-Nov-12 17:28:16

Still same weight of crisps in packet whether they look full or not

TacticalWheelbarrow Thu 22-Nov-12 17:29:49

It's another example of a massive company treating their customers like idiots. I'm thinking way too much into this

LadyMaryChristmas Thu 22-Nov-12 17:30:03

I don't believe that they are the same weight. shock Maybe the air has a weight. wink

I'll decide on how I eat, I don't need crisp makers to decide this for me.

Justforlaughs Thu 22-Nov-12 17:30:53

treas actually that's always the case. Many bags of crisps are underweight while others are overweight. We laugh and waste time weighing them when we should be filling the shelves! grin. I always look for a "full" one when I'm buying.

picnicbasketcase Thu 22-Nov-12 17:30:59

They put prices up and reduce the weight of the products. Recession snacks.

LadyMaryChristmas Thu 22-Nov-12 17:31:04

I agree with Tactical. I'm going to boycott buying crisps from Nero's until they put more in the packet.

TunipTheHollowVegemalLantern Thu 22-Nov-12 17:31:58

I dunno, surely this is something we have complained about since the invention of the crisp?
I think it's one reason for the popularity of Pringles. You know you're buying crisps, not air.

notsofrownieface Thu 22-Nov-12 17:32:05

Its not about freshness, its to stop you getting a bag of dust. More air = more padding.

LadyMaryChristmas Thu 22-Nov-12 17:33:56

More air= less crisps.

I like pringles, but there are times when you just need 'proper' crisps. wink Pringles taste as though the potato has been moulded (which it probably has). The crunch isn't the same.

HeathRobinson Thu 22-Nov-12 17:34:00

Go for Twiglets instead. I've rediscovered them and they're only 98 calories a bag. Bargain!

notsofrownieface Thu 22-Nov-12 17:36:23

I'm a french fries girl, Aldis own brand has only 66kals per pack grin

LadyMaryChristmas Thu 22-Nov-12 17:37:01

Hmm, not the same as salt and vinegar though. Kettle crisps are lovely, and there's always loads in the bag. If they can do this, why can't the rest? confused

TunipTheHollowVegemalLantern Thu 22-Nov-12 17:37:11

True re Pringles.
Sometimes I don't want the moreish uniformity of a tube of Pringles, I want the surprises and constant variety afforded by a bag of proper potato crisps.

TunipTheHollowVegemalLantern Thu 22-Nov-12 17:38:06

Kettles are quite strong. Maybe they don't need so much air to protect them? Other crisps are more fragile and delicate.

LadyMaryChristmas Thu 22-Nov-12 17:38:56

Wushtershire sauce french fries are lovely. I used to love prawn cocktail Quavers when I was a child. I can't find them now. The same with Fish and Chips (biscuit thingies). sad

I did say I like crisps blush

LadyMaryChristmas Thu 22-Nov-12 17:39:43

Never used to be an issue 10 years ago, Tunip. sad

complexnumber Thu 22-Nov-12 17:45:28

And surely a Green pack= Cheese and Onion

A Blue pack= Salt and Vinegar

HeathRobinson Thu 22-Nov-12 17:48:09

66 calories? shock

<wavers>

Nah, Twiglets it is!

LadyMaryChristmas Thu 22-Nov-12 17:50:56

Yes, you're right, complex. Unless you're in Nero's, the salt & vinegar are blue.

EverybodysSnowyEyed Thu 22-Nov-12 17:54:56

I know someone who worked for kettle

The bags are done that way to protect the crisps in transit

LadyMaryChristmas Thu 22-Nov-12 17:55:46

There's usually loads in a bag of Kettle crisps though. Why can't the others follow this?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now